NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I Wanted a Few More Days...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I Wanted a Few More Days...
    Posted: October-19-2021 at 10:15am
I wanted a few more days on the lake before laying up the SNOB -- but Mother Nature has other plans...

Just a few miles from the Quest mothership...

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 12:57pm
Looks like a good start to the alpine ski year. I’m heading out in January for a couple months. 3 pairs of skis and a Subaru Outback loaded.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 2:02pm
Shocked    I used to be very well compensated to be out in that stuff and being younger helped. Now that I'm on my own time and older- there is no way 

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 2:19pm
Gary,  Rob's picture looks a little too much like a Coors commercial to represent what you were out in.  I am guessing this comes a little closer?

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 3:12pm
I buttoned mine up last week, got it ready for winter.  I hate doing that it kills the summer fun for sure.  Currently enjoying 84* on beach in Hawaii.   Extending our summer for a few more days.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by DVskier DVskier wrote:

Looks like a good start to the alpine ski year. I’m heading out in January for a couple months. 3 pairs of skis and a Subaru Outback loaded.

what the heck do you need 3pair of skis for?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 7:20pm

I have plans to go skiing thursday afternoon.  79* forecast, water is still mid to upper 70s.  That being said, season is winding down, cooler weather is coming, boat and slalom course probably pulled in the next few weeks.  Photo from last Friday evening's outing.  
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 7:55pm
Tique:

Is that coming off 6 ball?
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 8:01pm

That sounds like a blast.  Where are you going?

Johnny what is that photo of?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 8:47pm
Riley:

That's up Little Cottonwood Canyon.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 8:49pm
The Bird and Alta doesn’t get any better.  Well maybe Whistler 😀
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

The Bird and Alta doesn’t get any better.

Roger that.
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Gary,  Rob's picture looks a little too much like a Coors commercial to represent what you were out in.  I am guessing this comes a little closer?

Don't really remember days like that Larry I guess because it was not every day.  What sticks in the mind is leaving the house getting in the cold car, getting to work putting on cold carhartts and boots,getting in the cold van and beginning your day. Then getting in your cold car to head home to start the whole process again the next day. Made you really appreciate those rare perfect spring and fall days. Your picture shows one of those days for sure.   
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 11:02pm
I’ll be slalom skiing tomorrow afternoon. Water should be about 78 or so, air 75. The reason I carry 3 pairs of skis when I go out west is to have the proper skis for each circumstance. Front side groomers, all mountain, cruising the glades. They each have a purpose and it makes me happy. Looking forward to a fun winter.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 11:04pm
By the way Solitude and Brighton in Utah are fantastic if you’re a powder fan. Lots of knee deep runs.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2021 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Tique:

Is that coming off 6 ball?

Not sure.  Based on the tree line in the background, I am going to guess 2.  I think I had a one or two 6's that evening (last friday) but  had several more 2s, 3s and 4s.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2021 at 2:10am
I have worked Ski Patrol at Sierra At Tahoe for 20 years and love snow skiing.  I have 3 pairs of skis also but the last purchase was Nordica Enforcers, I find these fit every condition just fine.  Outstanding in fresh powder and in the crud.   Working patrol work we don’t get to choose where we ski, often we have to go where the injury happens or there is work to be done.   The Enforcer is fantastic.   
Unfortunately Sierra was hit hard by the August Forest fires.   Not sure how much of the mountain is left.   It formerly had the very best tree skiing in California.   Thousands of our trees burned.😣

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2021 at 8:17am
I love that area.  We've been going there since the late '80's.  I've mostly skied Alta, but occasionally SB and Brighton.  If you spend 2 months up in that canyon, you are fortunate!

Larry and Gary, sounds like you think the cold is bad.  I wouldn't give up 4 seasons for anything. By Labor Day, I am done with hot days and summer.  While I love fall, I am looking forward to winter. 
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2021 at 10:03am
The south has 4 seasons... Heat, Humidity, Bugs and Rain   Not necessarily in that order year after year. 

And those are the 4 things I hate about our summer Angry  Come on winter Big smile
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2021 at 7:22pm
Today the air was 78, water 80, humidity 35%, wind 4 mph. Skiing was incredible, especially at 75 years old. Life is awesome!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2021 at 1:52pm
At 75, what lift/area do you ski most at Alta?  My favorite area has always been the Wildcat lift, but at 64 I can't ski it like I used to and at times I get my butt kicked and have to head for the groomers, which kills me.
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2021 at 8:12pm
Sugarloaf and Supreme, although you really can’t go wrong anywhere at Alta. I’ve got a good friend that skis Alta every day it’s open. So usually iI’ll ski with him and his buddies.. we cover a lot of terrain.
I do walk hills 3 miles/day and hit the gym 3 days a week to stay in shape for the mountain. Also ski 3 days/week 2 sets of 8 passes in the slalom course April-October. Retirement is great.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 9:38am
Supreme until it’s tracked out then Sugarloaf to Devils castle, then over to wildcat for two to three runs through the keyhole, ski into the bird shuttle bus back to Alta. 
Once Altas all tracked out, cross the street hike Mount Supreme for some hard earned tracks.
That was my favorite routine.

I had friends that worked winters there and I stayed in the employees lodge with them, once or twice I worked as a guest employee and skied for free.

Oh and we did all that with just 1 pair of skis. Armpit deep powder, bumps, trees, N.East ice moguls all on a pair of 203cm Voelkl slalom ski. Smile
Now a days with these fancy tech skis I guess you need 3. Angry

I just picked up my new M6 Mantras and I will make them do it all.Wink Because I can’t afford 3 pair LOL
DVskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 10:14am
I like having choices. Really have to be smart about it, buy skis at the end of the season, new but last years model. I didn’t buy them all at once. Up until last year I worked 2 days a week at resorts in Ut and CO for 8 years. Easy to get deals when you’re a resort employee with an on the snow job.

I’ve got a pair of 200cm Vokyl GS skis in the attic that I haven’t seen in 12 years. I do ski Rossignol  S3’s most days but the RTM 84’s are my front side skis. Have a pair of Atomic Access 100mm underfoot for the super powder days. When I go out west for 3 months I like to be prepared for anything.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I wouldn't give up 4 seasons for anything. 

Four seasons:  Fall (yes, lovely up that way), winter, mud and 4th of July.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

The south has 4 seasons... Heat, Humidity, Bugs and Rain   Not necessarily in that order year after year. 

And those are the 4 things I hate about our summer Angry  Come on winter Big smile

Paul, I think you've been flying too many High Altitude missions here lately as it's affected your brain. Yes the south has all of that but we don't have mosquitos that will siphon a quart of blood per sitting. Screw Winter..... $100 a day for lift tickets, $100 a day lodging, $600 for airline tix. $75 a day car rental. $75.00 a day for food. $50 for drinks. I can fuel by boat up for an entire ski season for ONE trip to Freeze your @$$ off sliding down the side of a frozen mountain. I'll take slalom skiing everyday with my buds, a boat babe in a bikini to go along with it, floating in 85' water all day off the dock and drinking beer all day never and never have to peel through 3 layers of clothes just to relieve myself. SCREW WINTER!!!! Come on Spring!!!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 12:46pm
Careful Tim you don't want to do the hard sell- it's crowded enough. Forget the south guy's- big gators,big bugs,snakes,hurricanes,etc etc,etc
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 2:53pm

I like having choices. Really have to be smart about it, buy skis at the end of the season, new but last years model. I didn’t buy them all at once. Up until last year I worked 2 days a week at resorts in Ut and CO for 8 years. Easy to get deals when you’re a resort employee with an on the snow job.

I’ve got a pair of 200cm Vokyl GS skis in the attic that I haven’t seen in 12 years. I do ski Rossignol  S3’s most days but the RTM 84’s are my front side skis. Have a pair of Atomic Access 100mm underfoot for the super powder days. When I go out west for 3 months I like to be prepared for anything.

I think you definitely need choices out there. I've gone skiless some trips and rented demos so I could have the best skis for the conditions.  When you're only there for a week, you have to take whatever conditions you have.  Seems like over the past 10 years or so I've encountered crud at times and spring conditions during the beginning of March, which never used to happen.  

Either of you guys ever ski the Baldy Chutes?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 3:28pm
Baldy Chutes on a powder day is absolute Nirvana.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
frozenskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote frozenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2021 at 4:51pm
I always thought KT-22 at Squaw was the "Motherhsip" ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic