Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Painting Boat Imron/Awlcraft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
90kacoupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 90kacoupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting Boat Imron/Awlcraft
    Posted: January-28-2022 at 6:04pm
I have a 1986 Supra Sunsport (I know, not a correct craft, but the supra forum is no good for old boats), and my family loves it! We have decided to take on the restoration and are trying to decided how to handle the gelcoat. The gelcoat is very very oxidized and it was wet sanded and buffed but the gloss didn't stay very long. It also has a few spots that need to be touched up. So I'm starting to think maybe its time to consider an Imron or Awlcraft paint job. These products are super popular on oceans boats but everybody in my area, Middle TN, looks at me like I have 3 heads when I mention painting a boat. Does anybody have any experience with this, and if so do you have a shop you recommend. I'll gladly travel to get it done right. Here is a picture of the boat. 

Thanks in advance for the help!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2022 at 7:15pm
I have with both. Is it possible that it wasn't sanded and polished completely? The reason I ask is that my Mustang was a mess when I got it but after following the procedures documented by others on here who had done it before,it has held up fine. Regulars here probably get tired of me posting these but it does show what could be.

Below the registration letter B on the chine you can see a black mark- that's where I sanded through the get down to the glass. It can be that thin in those areas. Still looks beter than when I got it ;)

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2022 at 7:35pm
Now here is the boat I painted,gel coat was shot- boat had been painted before with what looked like a broom. I ended up sanding it down through the bad gel because it would had telegraphed right through new paint. Hull sides and deck painted with Imron. Imron cannot be used under the waterline if you want to leave it in the water. Paint supplies,primer,color, and activator alone in 2014 was 1K. Has held up great but you have to be very careful that you do not damage it-Imron cannot be blended I'm told. I think I heard that Awlgrip can be but I'm not sure. Biggest thing I've ever painted, it was tough doing it in a 2 car garage. You need a special air supplied suit when working with these isocyanate paints so if you don't have one or have to have someone spray it for you your paying for that,so now your in 1600 bucks even before you start painting.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
90kacoupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 90kacoupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2022 at 9:43pm
Thank you for the response. Your mustang looks awesome! I really would like to have a Mustang or an older Compact Skier for days when its just the wife and I.

I'm definitely looking at having it painted. With 3 kids and the various activities that they do, There just isn't enough time for me to tackle that project. My biggest concern with the gel coat restoration is the repairs that need to be done and the color match looking good. I have some pretty long scratches and a decent size chip in the top of the transom from a ski rope hitting the back of the boat (learning deep water starts on the slalom ski....). So I just assumed it would be easier to do all of the repairs and make it look new with an Imron paint job.  I just can't figure out where is a trust worthy place to have it done. 
wkeith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkeith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2022 at 9:34am
Before painting take it to Dale Scott at Boat Doctors, 5047 Murfreesboro Rd, La Vergne, TN · (615) 793-9585. He does fabulous gelcoat work.
Walter Keith
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2022 at 9:48am
Your boat doesn’t look that bad.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2022 at 10:29am
Your Supra looks gangster, satin and matte is in style
Try Gary’s approach

Sweet mustang Gary
90kacoupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 90kacoupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2022 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by wkeith wkeith wrote:

Before painting take it to Dale Scott at Boat Doctors, 5047 Murfreesboro Rd, La Vergne, TN · (615) 793-9585. He does fabulous gelcoat work.
Walter Keith

I have talked to him about the boat and he feel pretty confident he can do it. Right now the boat is sitting at Rick's Boat Repair in Gallatin, he used to work at the place in town that build bass boats and does a ton of gel coat work. He quoted over $3k to touch up the few spots and restore the rest. Its probably not a deal. I just don't want to spend $3k and 1.5yrs later its right back to where it is. 

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2022 at 2:55am
My nephew painted his boat 10 years ago, paint is very prone to chips and nicks, I would not do it.  His is stored inside and should still look new but it does not.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2022 at 8:26am
Don't want to spend 3k to have gel work done? How much is it going to cost if you get it painted?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
90kacoupe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 90kacoupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2022 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Don't want to spend 3k to have gel work done? How much is it going to cost if you get it painted?

I've been quoted 5-6k to paint it with Imron, which in the sail boat and yacht world is known to last (keep its gloss) 10-15yrs. Spending $3k doesn't scare me. It's spending $3k and not being happy. Maybe I should just got for the Gel Coat restoration and be done with it. I can then invest the other money I save into other improvements.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic