Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft log bedding?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft log bedding?
    Posted: February-23-2022 at 3:10pm
What are things supposed to look like where the shaft log is bedded to the hull? With my shaft pulled, I had a good look inside/under the log for the first time. What I see makes me a bit concerned that maybe things aren't sealed up as well as they should be. There seems to be a layer of fiberglass under the log which is not bonded to the hull very well. I've circled the edge of it where it peels away from the log base in red.

I've never noticed any signs of water intrusion into the laminate around the log (the glass around the log is very solid), but the exposed laminate and lack of gelcoat on the glass around the log base worries me some. Am I being paranoid, or should this be sealed better?

P.S. Yes, that is black paint over white gelcoat.

1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2022 at 2:26pm
Dang!!
What kind of boat is this??

I think if I had to layup a shaft log i would modify to a insert like current Nautiques.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2022 at 6:57pm
Seen this a few days ago, cannot believe there has been only 1 response.

The black paint and shadows make seeing clearly whats going on in there not so easy.

Get some light and more pictures of all sides were the log and hull meet on the bottom.
Get some pictures from the inside as well.

I have a bronze log laying around that i'll photograph (to me it looks like yours is cracked and possibly cut)
but the like memtioned the shadows make things under there look funny.
The raw fiberglass seems suspect that there was something done under there at some point.

Were did you get the boat ? How long have you had it ? Was there ever any damage that you know about ?

Cant find your other threads but think your in the middle of a rebuild or some kind of repair.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2022 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Dang!!
What kind of boat is this??
 I think if I had to layup a shaft log i would modify to a insert like current Nautiques.

It's a South African 82 SN

Maybe it's the pictures, but it doesn't look like it's seated flat on the inside of the hull.

Considering some of the other stuff you've run into on this boat, maybe the PO did a funky alignment and the shaft was hitting the log so instead of moving the engine, he cut the log out and shimmed/relocated it and sealed it and fiberglassed it back into place so that the shaft was now centered.

I'd say if you have good alignment and the shaft is centered in the log and there's no leakage, leave it alone and seal any gaps  but I'm not there so maybe let you gut tell you what to do. It's been good so far in a couple of previous weird situations Wink
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2022 at 1:34am
Ken, I suspect you're right that there has been some work done/adjustments made to or around the shaft log. I had the hull damage from my anode incident repaired professionally, and the guy doing the repair did comment that it looked like there had been some previous repairs done to the area he was working on. My 'custom' strut also suggests a major underwater hardware incident at some point in the boat's past.

Furthermore, whilst the drive shaft is centered in the log, it is not centered in the fiberglass hole beneath the log, which also suggests that there has been some fiberglass hackery going on around there in the past. And while I haven't been able to measure it, it does look to me like my engine sits at quite a steep angle - to get proper alignment, the front mounts are adjusted almost all the way up on the trunnions, whilst the rear mounts are adjusted very low. I would expect 'factory' alignment to be more centered on the trunnions.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic