NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

De-Winterize '92 210 SNOB

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: De-Winterize '92 210 SNOB
    Posted: March-02-2022 at 9:05pm
Hey Guys!

Hope everybody had a good new year. I've been browsing around for good spring time checklists but figured if anybody isn't busy they could help a newbie out:

So I winterized the boat this November and it looks like it's already warming up! I live in Charlotte and it's going to be 80 Sunday and dying to get out there. Mechanic winterized the boat but I have a full check-list of what was done (first winter with the boat, looking to do it myself in future):

1. Stabile in fuel tank
  2. engine oil
  3. transmission oil
  4. Antifreezed block (via drain plug method not bucket method)
  5. drained exhaust manifolds
  6. drained cooling system
  7. fogged engine and greased cables

I would have my mechanic open it up and check it for me but he can't get to it until next week and this is my first weekend off in a while from work. I just have a couple questions about running it for the first time.

I plan on hooking up the hose to the fake-a-lake valve and running all the anti-freeze out. Is there a certain amount of time I should do this for or any procedure? Both '93 PCM manual and '91 CC manual I couldn't find any instructions on this. If I missed it please call me out and I'd love to read it.

The checklist didn't say anything about taking the impeller out and it was replaced last summer. I will double-check it's there since I've seen some forums where the winterization calls for taking it out?

Manual says that it has the Sherwood strainer. Is there anything I need to do for this come spring-time if it's been drained? I would think that as long as it's drained and connected it would just fill back up.

Are there any cables or hoses that would be disconnected during a winterization? Of course I'll check but would be helpful if there are some notable ones. 

I'll charge battery, check engine and trans fluids, and watch engine temp while in the driveway. Does anybody else have any advice or any steps I may have missed?

Newbie question I know but figure I gotta learn sometime! Any links or advice is definitely appreciated.
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2022 at 7:44am
What's in it for antifreeze?
Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2022 at 10:34am
If you have RV antifreeze, you can simply run the engine and flush it out.  Even though it is labeled as environmentally friendly and/or non-toxic, be careful as it comes out the rear exhaust.  If you have ethelyene glycol based antifreeze, then you must "capture" it and not allow it to reach the environment.  I've used a child wading pool for this.

For "normal" de-winterizing, this is what I do:
* All engine drains - check for proper tightness
  -- This means block drains, manifold / riser drains, water pump "J" drain, tranny cooler, etc.
* Check hose clamps for proper tightness
* If transmission fluid, engine oil / filter was not changed at lay-up, do it now
* Check impeller
* Check belts for wear and proper tightness
* I like to check spark plugs.  They are cheap and I usually change them every 2 years
* Put ski, wetsuit, comp vest in boat
GO SKI

JQ

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2022 at 1:57pm
@wetskier2000 It's marine non-toxic antifreeze, don't know much more than that. I planned on doing what JQ described and having a catcher under the exhaust and running until all the antifreeze is out. 

@JQ: Thanks for the details Smile that sounds great to me. As for the drains, do you remember where the drains where / how many drains were on your '94 SNOB?

On the PCM manual it only describes one: Towards the aft of the engine on the port side.

I've also been on my boat and haven't seen any drain plugs lying around in the glovebox or anywhere else, is it common for mechanics to drain the block and then put the plugs back in?

Alex
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2022 at 4:10pm
Drains in my old1994 351 SBF by PCM…
I drain on each side of block (towards front on starboard side and towards rear on port)
1 drain at water pump
1 drain in tranny cooler
1 drain at aft end of each exhaust riser

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2022 at 4:31pm
Click on the link to an old thread and you'll have the pictorial version of where the drains are  Wink

The starboard drain that's mentioned but not pictured is under #1 spark plug
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2022 at 9:02pm
Awesome thank you guys, I'll have to check tomorrow when I have some free time to get up to the boat. 
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2022 at 9:57am
Update had a great weekend on the boat with skiing, thanks for all the help. Looks like there’s going to be one last cold spurt this Saturday with a low of 25.

Looking for advice, can I just open up those drain locations and let all the water out, close them up, and drain the Sherwood water strainer and be okay? Or would I need antifreeze all over again? Also looking to see if a buddy has a garage I can keep the boat in overnight.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2022 at 10:07am
A garage would be ideal.  2nd best would be an electric outlet, put a work light with an old fashioned incandescent 60 watt bulb inside the doghouse.  3rd best, up to owner discretion, is look at what the actual temps are for the day and night.  Day in the high 30's, dropping to 25 for 4-5 hours in the late night, then rising into the 30's again the next day?  You are very likely to be fine leaving it as is.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2022 at 2:17pm
Hey skier thanks for the reply. The day in question is this Saturday where the high is 50 then drops to 24 and then back up to 53 the next day. The boat is in like a parking facility so unfortunately the light bulb isn’t an option. I think I’ll try to find someone with a cozy garage for the boat that night :)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2022 at 4:49pm
If you can't find a garage for the night, lots of us can tell you it'll be OK in those temperatures overnight but I figure you should ask yourself one question.

That would be "am I gonna stay up all night tossing, turning and worrying about the boat?"

If the answer is Yes, then drain the drain the drain points mentioned earlier, don't bother with the antifreeze and have a good night's sleep. It won't take long.

PS............ Put a bottle of water under the engine box so you can look at it the next morning  Wink
2001SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-08-2022 at 2:06am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you can't find a garage for the night, lots of us can tell you it'll be OK in those temperatures overnight but I figure you should ask yourself one question.

That would be "am I gonna stay up all night tossing, turning and worrying about the boat?"

If the answer is Yes, then drain the drain the drain points mentioned earlier, don't bother with the antifreeze and have a good night's sleep. It won't take long.

PS............ Put a bottle of water under the engine box so you can look at it the next morning  Wink

Agreed. Draining doesn't take long.

D
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

2001 Super Air Nautique
1989 Fairline Corniche 31

www.bannrivercruises.co.uk
apolonie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apolonie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2022 at 2:57pm
Hey guys sorry for not replying back been slammed with school. Anyways just wanted to provide an update that it dropped down to 28 F that night but had no problems with engine. Thanks for everybody's advice! Looks like I'm good for the rest of the season Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic