Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Castrol 5w50 full synthetic oil....

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Castrol 5w50 full synthetic oil....
    Posted: March-15-2022 at 11:33pm
Hi all.

I was looking at options for oil in my 78 and found that the Castrol 5w50 has increased zinc for classic cars and is ok for flat tappet cams.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/castrol-edge-5w50-synthetic-motor-oil-5-l-0289213p.html

I reached out to Castrol and they confirmed that it has a boosted level of ZDDP (1250 ppm).

Has anyone had any experience with this oil?

Thanks
Corey.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2022 at 2:23am
That spec is fine.  No worries on the ZDDP levels.  Nothing wrong with that oil.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2022 at 6:38pm
Certainly don't want to digress into a "best oil" discussion. But in my experience, I find full synthetics to leak a bit more in our older engines with their old-school tolerances and out-dated sealing. 
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2022 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Certainly don't want to digress into a "best oil" discussion. But in my experience, I find full synthetics to leak a bit more in our older engines with their old-school tolerances and out-dated sealing. 

Fake news.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2022 at 1:30pm
When synthetics started to become popular we were supplying engine bearings to many race teams.  This goes back to the late 1990’s, we started seeing engine bearing failures in those race engines.  The common issue involved was the race team had recently switched to synthetic oils.   We know all the advantages a synthetic can offer but one thing we learned the hard way back then was synthetics will flow more oil through tight places than the Dino oil it replaced.  These old school race teams ran .003 or more crank and rod clearances back then.  Worked fine with regular 20-50W race oil.   When they switched to synthetics we saw some bearing failures.   The solution was to tighten the crank and rod clearances  to .0025 max.  Teams did this and the problems went away.  The synthetic oil flowed better which in most cases was an advantage but with loose clearances it lost the ability to protect the crankshaft and rods in engines worked at extreme levels.   Since then I try to hold .002 clearances on rods and mains in engines I build.   I don’t race but this gives great oil pressure and you can run any oil you wish.  All of the OEM engine builders tightened the allowed oil clearances also.,  Toyota adopted running crank clearances of .0015 back then and look how long those engines last but Toyota also took great lengths to make sure the main girdle was straight and perfectly true and check every bearing very close to make sure there is zero variance.   Aside from long life they said this improves Noise, Vibration and Harshness, NVH in these engines.  Long story to share Synthetics flow better and will flow through smaller holes than regular oil will flow through.   A well sealed engine will not leak with either oil but not all engines are well sealed.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2022 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Fake news.
 Confused

Not reporting news, fake or otherwise...as I said "in my experience'....which includes 30+ hours in the Edelbrock Dyno room testing oils in crate engines... of course, YMMV....
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2022 at 1:07am
Hi and thanks for the replies.
The reason I was considering the change to a synthetic, besides the cost saving, was that changing the oil at the end of the season and then having it sit for months in the engine before the next season might not be good for a conventional oil.
However I have been doing just that with the Valvoline VR 1 for years now, and I haven't noticed any problems.
Just looking to learn something.
Thanks.
Corey.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2022 at 3:03am
Rotella??
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2022 at 7:55am
No oil (conventional or otherwise) is going to break down during off season storage- that’s not a reason to consider switching to synthetic IMO. Now, if you like the better heat handling properties of synth, that’s a consideration.

The 5w is on the light side and not sure id use it, personally. Mobil1 (15w50) and VR1 both offer synthetics with weight ranges that are closer to what you’re using now. There’s also a mobil Delvac 15w40 that looks pretty good (and is supposed to have high zinc/phos).

Regarding leaks, most of the less exotic synthetics are using base stocks that are fully compatible with conventionals, so they’re not going to ruin seals or cause leaks, contrary to some of the old myths still floating around on the web. Lighter weights can certainly exacerbate existing leaks, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic