Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ever wonder what a GT40 weighs

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever wonder what a GT40 weighs
    Posted: March-23-2022 at 5:01pm

833ish lbs. with transmission.  No oil other than remnants from drains.  The stand and 2 pieces of 2x4 don't weigh all that much.  Missing a few water hoses.

ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2022 at 7:17pm
Would make sense to go all aluminum in a rebuild if you had a trashed block I suppose. If also you went aluminum heads, intake and exhaust, I'd imagine a couple hundred lbs of weight savings, maybe. If light weight is important, and money isn't...there you go. I'd imagine someone has done this...
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2022 at 7:36pm
Someone has indeed...
With help from my friends at Edelbrock, I replaced:
Heads
Intake
and scored a pair of
Pyramidal exhaust manifolds...
...all in aluminum.
I also
Converted to a crank-driven RWP,
and an aluminum PCM 40a transmission.
Misc and Sundry
and a 26 ib. battery.
Net saving was @280#
Did nothing for performance or wakes.
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2022 at 7:56pm
NICE!

See, I knew it.

You’re getting the best gas mileage than any of us! Easily break even on cost in a couple of ge stations;-)
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2022 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Someone has indeed...
With help from my friends at Edelbrock, I replaced:
Heads
Intake
and scored a pair of
Pyramidal exhaust manifolds...
...all in aluminum.
I also
Converted to a crank-driven RWP,
and an aluminum PCM 40a transmission.
Misc and Sundry
and a 26 ib. battery.
Net saving was @280#
Did nothing for performance or wakes.

But now you can respond to the “unwashed masses” of cast iron engine components with an air of gravitational superiority.
Which is nice.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 2:58am
MorningWood,  I need to ask what power difference you found with the new heads and intake.  Does it run out at a faster top speed, what RPM before and after.   Sounds like a fun toy now.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 7:19am
Originally posted by jhersey29 jhersey29 wrote:

833ish lbs. with transmission.  No oil other than remnants from drains.  The stand and 2 pieces of 2x4 don't weigh all that much.  Missing a few water hoses.

Sounds like a good number to me.Wink

PCM listed a weight of 856 ish pounds in their 89 PCM engine manual with most likely a B/W transmission pictured in the manual and the older heavier starter. A little difference in carburetor and fuel injection components also.

Throw in a little difference between scales and the numbers agree pretty well.

Here's a link to M/W's old thread on weight savings and there's also a link to the PCM manual from 89 that gives some other engine weights too, (see chart on page 15)

link to PCM manual
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 7:34am
More important is...What's under the cover on the Triton Tongue
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 9:19am
2017 Skidoo Summit X 850 w 165 track and 3” paddles.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 10:12am
Originally posted by jhersey29 jhersey29 wrote:

2017 Skidoo Summit X 850 w 165 track and 3” paddles.

Nice!!
 I just got back from riding in Wyoming. I ride a 154 Freeride

jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 10:54am
We ride mostly in Colorado.  Vail Pass, Wolf Creek, Rabbit Ears, Jones Pass, Tabernash, Buffalo Pass, etc.  If you end up out this way hit me up.  Always looking for people to ride with.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 12:29pm
Damn!  Y'all are just KILLING ME!
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 7:48pm
Great Pics of the snow, Thanks.   I rode that area above Vail twice with a buddy.   Very incredible terrain.
The new machines ride so well and have such power it is hard to imagine unless you have done it.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2022 at 9:36pm
The details listed above, and the resulting performance, did nothing for the '81 SN that I built it for. (the original goal there was to improve the wakes while adding some power). It was an honest 50 mph boat.

I then transplanted that powertrain into the '82 SN (Cyndi) that I have, and sold the '81.

As for the '82, the performance was increased substantially...subjectively. This being the 5th 2001 I've owned, it is clearly the best performing-powerwise. Over 50 mph...(GPS)

So now working up the '94. I robbed the heads and intake (Edelbrock Performer series) and exhaust manifolds from the '82 and gave her the GT-40 heads from the '94. I've reworked the crank-driven cooling system a bit,  but have yet to drive the '94 to report. Stay tuned...
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2022 at 12:12am
Ready to catch the updates!  I have been tempted to modify my GT40 for more power but they I take it out and it runs so good I just can't justify tearing it apart.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2022 at 6:04am
Myself, I'd probably wonder more about why the engine is hanging there to begin with  

I'm thinking it's undergoing some gender transformation and turning into a Chevy  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic