Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement gas struts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TucsonMike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TucsonMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacement gas struts
    Posted: April-27-2022 at 9:58pm
Thought I’d share my experience.
The SpringLift gas struts on my ‘94 closed bow ski nautique finally won’t hold up the seat (after 28 years!!Clap.) No problem, order the old part number from back to boating (3-20, no shipping charge, no tax to AZ), put them in, back in business. Right? Not so much. Turns out there used to be a sticker over the -20 (20 lbs) of the part number EDIT: [that showed the actual higher pressure.] Thankfully one old one was still working and measured 52 lbs on a bathroom scale when starting to compress, which is apparently where they are rated. Shipping the -20s back for a refund and ordering 3-60s, which should be perfect.
SkierMike
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2022 at 10:36pm
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 2:20am
I picked up two from Amazon 7 years back, they still work great but are still too stiff.  It takes a firm hand to get the cover down.  I would have to go back and search to see what part I purchased.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TucsonMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 8:40am
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

Thanks Sean. Did you try these? Are they too stiff? I actually haven’t ordered the new ones quite yet, maybe I’ll go with -80s.
Mike
SkierMike
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 10:40am
My seat is heavier so I bought this one:

Use the NautiqueParts discount code if you buy it from them:  PND

92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 10:43am
Here is a post I made a few years ago after replacing all the shocks on the 99 (I went with the Strongarms and they worked well):

The '99 Pro Air we just bought needs all the lift shocks replaced so I have been looking for cheaper alternatives.

Original:
Rear Hatch (x2) - SL-36-20
Doghouse (x2) - SL-36-60
Observer Seat (x2) - SL-36-60
Ski Locker (x1) - SL-36-20
Glove Compartment (x1) - ML31-20

The SL-36 units are all the same length with different pressures (17.25" extended and 10.25" compressed)

I found some made by Strongarm that you can buy from various sources like Amazon or Rockauto for about $11 each.

Sl-36-60 = Strongarm 4482 (70lbs instead of 60lbs)
SL-36-20 = Strongarm 4418 (40lbs instead of 20lbs)
ML31-20 = Strongarm 4053 (25lbs instead of 20lbs)

There is also an 85lbs unit: 6931

The Strongarm units arm slightly longer when compressed (10.6") and are higher pressure. There is enough margin on the compressed length with the existing shocks that the Strongarm units should work. The 40lbs instead of the 20lbs may be an issue.

Here are the links to the originals:

Doghouse and Seat $20.78 Each

Rear Hatch and Ski Locker $20.78 Each

Glove Compartment $12.95 Each

Depending on how many you are replacing the NP prices aren't bad. You decide.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TucsonMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2022 at 8:14pm
Thanks Sean.
I’m assuming the observer seat is similar. I just pulled the trigger on the -60s at back to boating for $59.84 total cost incl shipping.  I’ll let you guys know what happens.
Who Hoo!
SkierMike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TucsonMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2022 at 1:09pm
I just put the -60s in. They are about right. They hold the seat up well but don’t take too much force to close.
SkierMike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic