Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Propeller engineering

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
austinfullmer99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propeller engineering
    Posted: July-15-2022 at 6:36am
Hi everyone! Recently I talked to a representative of OJ props. I have a 1987 Ski Nautique. We were discussing props in general and part of the conversation was him offering that I upgrade to a 4 blade prop instead of replacing with another Legend 1027 3-blade.   What’s everyone’s thoughts? I’m leaning towards just replacing with another 3-blade.
1987 SN 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2022 at 7:40am
I'd ask the OJ guy why they don't make their "SkiPro" CNC machined prop (which they call their finest line of props on their website) in a RH version that would fit your boat and ask him what's comparable to an Acme 540 that's well proven on your hull.

Nothing against OJ, I have a LH Ski Pro that works great  on "someotherbrand" of boat Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2022 at 8:30pm
KENO,

That’s a great idea. I’ll call them tomorrow ask oblivious and say I need a SkiPro 13x13 1” bore RH.   See what they say.
1987 SN 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2022 at 8:37pm
It would really be a 13x12 or 13x11.5 in a SkiPro prop that you'd want.

They make them in LH rotation versions but not RH at least according to their charts. 

It may be a small not very significant market for them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2022 at 9:08pm
Their representative this morning told me exactly what you mentioned. It’s a small market with little demand for it. He recommended the 4 blade Force 13x13 1” bore RH .090 cup. After researching some more, I ordered it. Anybody have an extra prop puller they’d sell me for cheaper than what I can find new ones for online?
1987 SN 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 7:23am
KENO, how do I send a picture on this forum page? I’m a newbie
1987 SN 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 7:44am
Originally posted by austinfullmer99 austinfullmer99 wrote:

KENO, how do I send a picture on this forum page? I’m a newbie

You can click on the link below for some reading about adding pictures

What you'll probably get from reading it is that the directions are for doing it with a PC, laptop etc and that if you're using a phone, tablet etc, it doesn't work but people have different ways using third party picture hosting services.

imgBB is one site people use and there are others too.

If you're using a phone, you should probably start a new thread with a catchy title like "How the **** do I post pictures around here with a phone?" and maybe somebody will give a step by step rundown of how they do it with a phone Wink

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 8:04am
Austin

One other thing, since you're looking for a prop puller

Something like an Acme 228S puller or the OJ version of the same thing would be a good choice for you. Big price variety if you search around.

There are different style pullers but if you can't get it off with the Acme following their instructions........well you have other problems.

You can also find some cheaper knockoff versions of the Acme on Amazon for around 80 bucks these days.

I have no idea how they compare strength and materials wise

You can also find some threads here on CCF about making you own puller Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 8:19am
Cool! I’ll use my laptop to post pictures. Yeah I’m kinda against Amazon products most of the time. I don’t like big worldwide companies.
1987 SN 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 8:20am
Click on the link for some CCF reading about prop pullers including home made 3 or 4 bolt style pullers.

Depending on what you have available for tools, you can make a home made 3 or 4 bolt puller pretty cheap.

People like to "discuss" what's better, the c clamp or the 3 or 4 bolt style. I have one of each and they work equally well Wink

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 8:21am
I'm confused. OJ doesn't make what you want so you settle on what the rep has? Are they the only ones who make props? Thought the 540 was well proven for these hulls.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 9:07am
OJ, and maybe ACME does this also, will recondition my current prop, which it needs done… and it’s been high time to do it for at least a year… when somebody operating my boat hit something minor…anyway they at OJ will recondition my prop free with purchase of a new one. I’m taking them up on the offer.
1987 SN 2001

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 9:09am
Also, KENO, “someotherbrand” of boat. I need enlightened. Mastercraft?
1987 SN 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by austinfullmer99 austinfullmer99 wrote:

Also, KENO, “someotherbrand” of boat. I need enlightened. Mastercraft?

Umm..............no, but those MC guys like OJ's like CCF people like Acme's 

Kinda the old Ford vs Chevy, Normal vs reverse rotation, Ginger or Mary Ann type thing.  Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 10:17pm
Gotcha I'm starting to realize that.  I need to shut up before I get kicked off since I like Johnson Propellers.  I like Ford motors.  I like reverse rotation Correct Craft's.  and I'd go with Mary Ann.   I need to get to know you all better so I can figure out the "someotherbrand"  I better refer to OJ as "someotherbrand" from now on.
1987 SN 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 10:17am
I for one am not against OJ's- I have two of them. What I'm more concerned about is compromising to a particular brand even when they don't make what you need. I think this has to be one of the smallest inboard OJ's in captivity,not listed in their catalog. This is what happens when they get wet before they are cured Wink
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 2:19pm
Is that their SkiPro?
1987 SN 2001
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2022 at 4:10pm
Kind of looks like it might be. Came on a boat,was told it was custom made by them- there are no other markings on it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2022 at 6:07am
What kind of small craft was that on?
1987 SN 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2022 at 6:25am

Probably the one in the picture 

Shamrock 17 with a 4 cylinder 140 HP Indmar.

Gary may be slow answering, he's probably busy tracking down and hoarding parts for it  Wink

He can hunt down parts in some new and different places like Forklift junkyards and supply outfits.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2022 at 8:48am
Yea that's it. It is a GM based engine I think the same as a 3.0 MerCruiser
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinfullmer99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2022 at 9:17am
That’s awesome. What year is it?
1987 SN 2001
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2022 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Yea that's it. It is a GM based engine I think the same as a 3.0 MerCruiser

That was based on a GM industrial engine (like in a fork lift) and was never used in a car by GM.

At least you didn't end up with a PCM Mitsubishi based 4 cylinder in it Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic