NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Excalibur 330 misfire

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2022 at 9:13pm
I’ll try these suggestions tomorrow. Thanks guys for all the ideas!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 6:20am
You forgot to answer the question about the misfire when reducing speed (and load) on the engine.Wink

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

So when does this thing start firing again as you go up in RPM?

Does it misfire again on the way down passing through 3000 RPM and then clear up again?
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 7:52am
Yes the miss is between 24-3400 rpms. Throttling up and slowing down, load or no load give the same results.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 8:02am
I do not know what the distributor offset is at. It’s my understanding there is no adjustment on this engine without diag equipment.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 11:01am
Same result testing #4 at the cap.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 11:53am
Time to install a new cap.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 11:56am
I will try a third cap today. I just don’t get it
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 1:10pm
Little bit of an update, engine temp wasn’t getting above 105, I checked the thermostat and was stuck open from impeller pieces. Put new thermostat in, started it, and about 140 degrees it started to run smoother. Went for a ride and the backfire is gone @ 3k but it still has a miss in the same rpm range.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 4:57pm
Another new cap, engine surging now, gauge is saying knock sensor. Guess I’ll throw one of those at it.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 6:17pm
Double check your spark plug wires.  Odds are a couple wires are crossed/ in the wrong spot.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 6:25pm
All wires are where they belong, simple on this setup
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 6:31pm
If you dont check the cam offset you are chasing your tail until you know that it is correct or distributor has not moved.
I have seen this before..
and yes you need diacom to check cam off set it.
good luck

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2022 at 6:34pm
Okay is there anything at all I can do with the dizzy without diag equipment?
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 7:45am
Speaking of dizzy..............that's me.

I think a good recap of the problem and what's been done is in order here, since however many days and posts later, the word "backfire" just showed up Wink

Now we have no fire, misfire and backfire all being mentioned.

Your engine should be running at 160 plus degrees, otherwise the computer thinks it's still warming up and your fuel mixture is gonna be rich. The standard thermostat in that is a 160 degree thermostat.

It'll probably run better than is now does with your 140ish temperature, will it fix this mystery firing issue? probably not but you won't lose anything by getting temperature where it should be.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 7:55am
I’ve never had the misfortune of chasing a problem like this. Your right, forever post with many different problems.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 8:05am
As it stands now, I put a third cap on it. That helped with the no spark, miss to #4 cylinder. Also changed thermostat bringing engine up to normal running temp. So now it is definitely running better, but is surging and saying knock sensor on the dash. I’m running non ethanol 91 octane all fresh. So I will look at that sensor today.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 10:39am
Do you have a knock sensor in place? It originally would have been in the water drain hole on the starboard side. They get removed for winterization, if removed and replaced with a pipe plug that could lead to the error.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 11:03am
Yes it is in there.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 1:13pm
Next step would be to make sure it is working- no breaks in the wiring and the threads are complicating the circuit (no excessive Teflon tape).   

if you have reliable spark now you might want to move onto cleaning the fuel injectors.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 1:23pm
Okay, it has no tape on the threads. Pulled the wire off and all looks good. Running non ethanol 91 and seafoam thru it
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 1:49pm
Is it worth trying a new knock sensor? Or is that just a stored code?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 2:45pm
If you suspect a injector you could just move it to another cylinder and see if it follows. 
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 4:14pm
Knock sensors are relatively cheap - you could however test it before you replace it. I didn’t do anything other than replace my knock sensor to make the code go away. If the boat has been sitting cleaning the injectors- maybe replacing the orings and filters is a decent idea and not much more difficult than swapping them around.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2022 at 6:45pm
Last time I wanted to know if a knock sensor was working, I hit one of the heads with a hammer and watched the timing to see if it retarded about 8 degrees or so. Wink
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2022 at 8:56pm
Still chasing this problem. Put a new knock sensor in with no change. Been running non ethanol and seafoam thru it, changed FCC filter. Tried new wires, guess it’s time to drive it on the trailer and bring to New England Correct Craft.
steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2022 at 7:51pm
So crazy ending to painfully long journey. One of the new spark plugs was defective. Not fouled or broke, just for some reason not firing. So between two bad dist caps and a defective plug she’s all up and ripping to 5100 rpm’s again. Thanks all for the suggestions and help.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2022 at 8:01pm
Glad you figured it out.  
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 6:07am
So did you just decide to swap plugs for some reason or did it make the trip to the dealer for a plug swap?

steve600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 6:20am
I scratched my head for days, sitting looking at this engine thinking wtf else could possibly be wrong? I’ve swapped everything to do with ignition, three caps, two sets of wires, coil, dist pick up, and fcc filter. Decided to try another set of plugs before pulling it out. Only thing I haven’t tried twice! Sure enough that was it. Misfire was gone and boat pulled to 5100 rpm’s. Could only get 4200 before. Something so simple all along….
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2022 at 6:47am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If it runs great at WOT, does that mean the cylinder starts firing again sometime above 3000 rpm or it's a great running V7 engine at full throttle?

Has it done this since you got the boat?, it sounds like it's new to you

So i guess back at the beginning it really was a great running V7 after all Wink

You should go out right now and buy 4 lottery tickets in honor of your #4 cylinder.

And......... glad it's fixed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic