NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Verifying/calibrating tachometer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Verifying/calibrating tachometer
    Posted: August-31-2022 at 11:27pm
What is the best way to check and calibrate a tachometer? I’m highly suspicious of the tach in my ‘89 ski, it reads 4200 RPM at 47 MPH (GPS) with an ACME 470. That seems a bit low based on what I’ve read on here. I know there’s a potentiometer on the back of the tach to adjust the gain, but what’s the best way of obtaining a known good point of comparison? A non-contact photo tach? Digital multimeter with a frequency counter connected to the tach wire (plus math to convert the spark signal to RPM)? I need to buy a tool either way, my multimeter is an analog with no frequency counter, and my timing light does not have a tach either.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2022 at 8:37am
A timing light that also gives rpm readings.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2022 at 12:40pm
Most Tachs have a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder setting on the back of the tach.  Sometimes just moving the switch back and forth fixes the tach.    My 78 Nautique and my 87 Malibu had tach issues at the start of every season.  First couple times out the tach was way off then it started working perfectly the rest of the year.  Eventually the Malibu tach had to be replaced.
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2022 at 8:03am
Thanks I’ll give that a try!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic