Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New primary fuel bowl, new (not great) idle

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New primary fuel bowl, new (not great) idle
    Posted: October-02-2022 at 7:56pm
Installed a new primary fuel bowl on my boat's Holley carb yesterday. The new bowl looks virtually identical to the old bowl (purchased as part of the current carb in 1995), but the float did not sit level as it had previously. Adjusted it to level and the boat started, but not easily. Took it out on the river today and it runs well overall, but the idle is definitely off a little.

Any ideas on what would change the idle circuit characteristics under these circumstances?

Should I re-tune the idle circuit using a vacuum gauge?

Any other ideas/suggestions?

1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2022 at 8:21pm
I made the same swap and am having some issues as well. I thought the level might need to drop a bit as I was seeing a bit of gas on the throttle plates after shutting it off, but after adjusting the floats again the leaking seems to be worse. I am interested to see what you figure out. When you say not great idle, what do you mean? Does it seem like it is starving for fuel or flooding? Do you notice a difference in the exhaust look or smell?

I would say it can't hurt putting a vacuum gauge on it, but I am not sure why the idle circuit would have changed. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will be a long shortly and give us both a lesson.
'92 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2022 at 10:23pm
I can't tell whether it is starving or flooding, but am now wondering if the bowl gasket got boogered up when the new bowl was installed. One of the bowl screws didn't slide into place easily during installation and may have gotten caught and torn that gasket. Easy enough to check tomorrow.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2022 at 8:02am
Did you transfer all of the parts over to the new bowl, like the gasket between the inlet seat and the bowl?

Since you're taking the bowl off, you can check to make sure the coil spring is im place correctly and the little wire retainer that insures that the needle goes up and down with the float is installed right.

You can also check that the little circlip that holds the float on it's pivot arm didn't fall off

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2022 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Did you transfer all of the parts over to the new bowl, like the gasket between the inlet seat and the bowl?

Since you're taking the bowl off, you can check to make sure the coil spring is im place correctly and the little wire retainer that insures that the needle goes up and down with the float is installed right.

You can also check that the little circlip that holds the float on it's pivot arm didn't fall off

Yes, I think so. Replaced the metal fuel inlet fitting washer with a nylon washer to prevent fuel leakage. Will double check the coil spring for the float and wire retainer on the needle. The circlip on the float pivot arm was secure when the new bowl was installed. Will re-check it. Thx
PCM 351W with D.U.I.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2022 at 11:03am
Everything in the primary bowl looks fine. Replaced and started the engine. Idle was ok for a few seconds and then got very rough. Looked in the carb and saw fuel (a lot) dripping into the secondaries!

Will search these forums for a solution. In the meantime, any advice would be much appreciated.

P.S. How critical are these plastic fuel inlet baffle plates?
PCM 351W with D.U.I.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2022 at 12:39pm
OK. it appears the idle issue was unrelated to and coincidental with installation of a new primary fuel bowl. Found fuel dripping from the secondaries. Cleaned the needle in the secondary bowl and blew compressed air through the seat and bowl inlet after separating the seat. Reassembled, installed a new float and all is now well. 
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2022 at 7:31am
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

P.S. How critical are these plastic fuel inlet baffle plates?

Since google lens says that's not a picture that Buck took, why are you wondering?

Did you break yours?

They're supposed to help prevent foaming in the side hung fuel bowls according to one Holley book I have.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2022 at 7:44am
When I transferred the old one to the new bowl, it was a very awkward and tight fit. I thought it might have been restricting fuel flow, so I left it off and ordered a new one from an eBay seller. Did not see it on Holley's website and wondered if it is even included with the newer carbs.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 7:22am
A smart person would install the new one when you get it. Wink

A not so smart person would have removed the one from the rear bowl too.

Here's a quote from another Holley book " this baffle is essential for fuel level control and must be reinstalled into the bowl. Fuel flow will not be increased by leaving it out"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2022 at 8:35am
Good info. Thanks for sharing.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic