Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ski Nautique Lists to Starboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ski Nautique Lists to Starboard
    Posted: October-21-2022 at 2:25pm
My neighbor bought this 2000 Ski Nautique and discovered that it lists to starboard both at rest with nobody in it and at speed with two equal weight guys driving and spotting.  His boat does not have ballast tanks. The only accessories that may be relevant are the heater in the bow on the starboard side.  The boat has a hot water shower system.  I am not sure if any of its components are near the heater.
Anyone have any ideas of what is going on? 

Jim
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 4:48pm
It could have a structural failure that has allowed water into the cavities under the floor that should be sealed.  If there is foam in those cavities it will get water logged and add weight.  Another possibility is that a previous owner has hidden some ballast.  A friend of mine bought a Tige that the previous owner had hidden lead bars around the boat for ballast.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 6:05pm
Yea there is a issue with that one. however feel under the driver seat in the cavity and make sure there are no weight plates hidden there. 2 25 pound barbell weights will fit under the driver seat. also check behind the kick panel and make sure no one stacked something there.
many of those boats as great a skiing boat as they were needed weight on the starboard side to run level at slalom speeds. normally we would use a 50-75 pound weight that was easily moved around.

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 7:25pm
My 95's build sheet notes that on it's water test it listed 1/2". Don't remember which way though.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2022 at 9:17pm
I thought this boat would have closed cell foam that would not get waterlogged.  If I am right, would the water have little room under the floor?  Are there any weep hole and if not, could they be drilled to drain the water?
Jim
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2022 at 1:04am
I think if you take off the swim platform brackets, water will leak out (if it's in there). 
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2022 at 7:37am
I'd probably call whoever the boat was bought from and see what they can tell him.

No test ride when he bought the boat?

It must ride with a pretty good list with only the driver in it.(Lone Ranger,.... no Tonto  Wink}

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2022 at 8:16pm
The prior owner was not aware of the issue.  He owned the boat for 2 years and could not locate the stern light under the gunwale. Someone suggested there were weep holes to drain under the floor.  If there aren't any, is it possible to add them?
Jim

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-10-2022 at 9:55pm
It's almost certain their is water under the floor on the starboard side.  Are there any pictures of the stringers etc for a boat of this year?  There are a gazillion pictures of boats with wood stringers.  
Jim
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 5:20am
May not be very helpful but there's a cutaway drawing of the boat/stringer/foam arrangement in the link.

Look at page 32 of 36

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 7:00am
Years ago KRoundy cut up a boat,don't remember the year. This is the only picture I saved from it.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 8:01am
He had a 93 and then he cut up another 93.

Here's a link to one of his 93 threads (the boat he was saving) with some info and more pictures

I guess you could say 93 and 00 are at least similar Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 8:21am
And in this link you'll find kroundy's boat blog with all kinds of pictures of all kinds of things.

link

Scroll far enough and you'll come to a slide show of the cutting up of the 93 donor hull 

Like Gary's picture........Just chock full of foam with the fiberglass floor over it.  Wink

You'll see that same picture in the slide show of the hull being cut up
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2022 at 11:55am
if you're sure there's water and wet foam on that side and you want to get rid of it without being too intrusive, click on the link below to a thread by Gotta Ski

Some strategically drilled holes, a pressure washer and a shop vac and you're in business maybe.

Lke he said there are YouTube videos about this.

Never having done this, I thought I'd just throw it out there for you to look at/think about Wink 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2023 at 7:00am
This boat may be for sale now.  Let me know if you have interest.
Jim
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2023 at 3:09pm
Hopefully at a lopsided price....Wink
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2023 at 11:15am
You be the judge.

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/gilford-2000-ski-nautique/7602447758.html
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2023 at 3:54pm

Carnac here says.................Boat leans right, standup seller not hiding it, priced right.............it'll be gone in no time without a test ride. Wink
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2023 at 6:19pm
clicked on the ad, thought it was gone but I guess it was operator error, it's still there.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2023 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

You be the judge.

https://nh.craigslist.org/boa/d/gilford-2000-ski-nautique/7602447758.html

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2023 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Carnac here says.................Boat leans right, standup seller not hiding it, priced right.............it'll be gone in no time without a test ride. Wink

Agree that's a really good price for a 2000 Ski, even if you need to figure out the list.  Pretty amazing slalom wake for 11k.  I look at used boats just for the fun of it and seems like everything worthwhile is 20k plus.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2023 at 10:41pm
Dang good price…
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2023 at 6:36pm
That's tempting. Way cheaper and faster than a full project.
I would pull the carpet.
After some strategic exploratory surgery;
1. cut out the floor in sections i.e. 6 inches wide X 18-24 inches long real nice and save the cutouts.
2.Remove the foam
3. Not put foam back in.
4. Hot glue tongue depressors to the floor cutouts so they hungover a few inches and set them back in.
5. Tab on some glass, after it dries pull the tongue depressors and finish glassing it over.
5a. Especially glass around the perimeter of the floor to the hull sides, my bet since it's foam filled and glassed over, the guys at the factory just kinda got a little bit of mat up the hullsides, just enough to get it past warranty before it pops loose here and there letting any water that gets on the floor leak into the cavity.
6. Throw in some new carpet and be done with it, go skiing baby !

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2023 at 8:37pm
WOT.  It’s calling your name.  Buy it already.  
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2023 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

My 95's build sheet notes that on it's water test it listed 1/2".

You know what would be way easier than going through all that work for potentially very little gain?  Have the build sheet pulled at the factory and get it's water test results. What if you did all that and still had a list?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2023 at 9:48pm
Johnny, I couldn't do the kind of work to do it justice. Too new and too nice
Gary, your probably right and that would be a smart play.
Was there ever any word from the factory about why some list or is there a theory out there.

Maybe next spring another boat will come my way. Cleaning out the shed today found the last remnants of the 79 and thought i'd breeze thru and say hi. Really liked that boat.

Someone will pick it up and it'll be a good boat for them
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2023 at 11:17pm
Buy it, place about 125 pounds of ballast on the passenger side to level it and use it for the next 10 years or so.Beer
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2023 at 8:57am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Buy it, place about 125 pounds of ballast on the passenger side to level it and use it for the next 10 years or so.Beer

Gret idea.  Heck of a boat for the price.  
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2023 at 9:25am
We carry 75 pounds under the passenger seat of a 2017 -200 CB, only take it out if there are two big persons (200 plus} in the passenger seating. or it goes in the back for tricks.
the last year or so of the slant back as well as the first couple years of the bubble butt. many of our promo as well as factory team boats needed 40 pounds no matter what, stuffed in the cavity under the drivers seat.
Today, go to an event, competition (whatever they want to call it theses day's). one will find lead ballast bags as well as boats with water tanks for level as well as electronic wake enhancing that can be tailored to change the wake configuration at the touch of a button.
the boat up for sale is a great deal and would make a perfect candidate for a 6.0 re-power as well as ZO update and overall refresh..
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-03-2023 at 9:29am
Ive left the floor in place and extracted all the foam out with just some (11)  5" hole saws, then reglassed the holes, leveled, added some more ply everywhere. will never get soggy again. 
putting foam back is one's user discretion
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic