Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Cover while Boat is on a lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
marksa1458 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksa1458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Cover while Boat is on a lift
    Posted: November-17-2022 at 12:57pm
My boat sits on an uncovered lift from May to October, where I slip doesn't allow canopies so I need to cover my boat.  Historically, I have used a full cover with a drawstring and it has always been a pain to get the cover on the bow.  Typically I have to do some sort of gymnastics with a miracle throw to get the front part of the cover over the bow and in the correct spot.

My new to me Natique has snaps installed which aren't my favorite.  They are already there and thinking that a cockpit style cover would be easier to manage but concerned that the windshield snaps may not be the best and UV damage to the dash through the windshield.  A full cover might be the better way to go, but thought I would reach out here and see if there are any creative solutions or other ideas.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2022 at 1:12pm
Very nice looking boat.  I'd go with a full draw string cover.  You should be able to unfold the cover up to the windshield while standing in the boat and push the front of the cover up over the bow and pull it back taught.  As long as there's not a strong head wind...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2022 at 3:11pm
2 posts for common cover struggles in one week! Lol. Someone has to make a YouTube vid explaining the basics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksa1458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2022 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

.  You should be able to unfold the cover up to the windshield while standing in the boat and push the front of the cover up over the bow and pull it back taught.  As long as there's not a strong head wind...

This is what I do currently.  Just didn't know if there is a better way
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2022 at 4:39pm
Beautiful boat for sure.  2000 or 2001?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksa1458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2022 at 9:42pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2022 at 7:55am
Once upon a time i didn't like snap covers for some strange reason.

I'd get cold and wet putting a cover on before reverting to those dastardly snaps.

Then one of the kiddos found this project boat with a snap type Sunbrella cover. It was a custom from a cover shop, it fit good and tight and convenience wise you couldn't beat it and it covered the windshield with the snaps in the bottom of the frame.

It also happened to fit better and keep water out better than any cover I had ever used before.

This made covering the boat at the dock in about 8 feet of water a "snap" that took all of like maybe 3 minutes and nobody had to make a video to show me how to do it.

Since you have the snaps already in place (looks like they're below the rub rail), I'd move the windshield snaps from the top to the bottom of the frame and get an estimate on a custom fitted Sunbrella or some other equivalent type fabric at a shop.

I figure there's a place or 2 near you that could make one.

Like lots of other things in life, you never know till you try it. 

I have to go and hide from the gang of snap hater guys now  Wink
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2022 at 8:01am
Ken, one thing we’ll agree on is that snaps are the lowest common denominator option… no brain cells needed.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2022 at 8:31am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Ken, one thing we’ll agree on is that snaps are the lowest common denominator option… no brain cells needed.

That's why they work for me.Wink

Leave me alone now, I'm hiding out under my snap cover
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2022 at 9:36am
Some boats need snaps due to their design, there's no arguing about it.  Even with all the Rube Goldburg bungees, straps and other attachments that Tim likes, they'll still pocket water.  I had a Century Resorter with snaps in my yard all summer and never once did it pocket water.  And it's easy to cover.

CCFs are definately snap haters.  
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2022 at 11:13am
The struggle with covers is real but it really comes down to a couple basic items:
  • Fit of the cover 
  • Access to place / secure the cover 
With my dock set up I can cover the BFN (shown) in less than 5 minutes 

Covering the 206 with the tower is a PIA compared to the BFN but typically less than 10 minutes but just not as easy 

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2022 at 11:50am
Keeping a boat on a trailer or lift is much easier than covering on a mooring.  The mooring covers that cover the platforms like on the slant backs usually require getting wet.  Not always what I want to do.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2022 at 4:21pm
You shouldn’t have to get wet to get the cover itself on- platform covering or not. But the bungees might require it.

It doesn’t get much more basic than tent poles (I actually only use 1) and a few bungees… but if that’s rube goldburg then you got me. It comes down to making it tent, and then making it tight- and then it’ll shed. Leave it loose and it’ll pool. It’s really very simple.

A good fitting cover goes a long way to achieving the above easily, and being able to put it on quickly… but I’ve put enough crappy covers on boats- universal covers or ones meant for entirely different makes/models to know you can make even suboptimal covers work with a few basic tactics. It’s not rocket surgery.

This goes for moorings, lifts- with dock access all around or none- and on the trailer. Each presents it’s own challenges.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 1:51pm
Tim, next time you're in Maine, I've got a perfect boat and cover for you to do your demo on so we can put it on youtube. 
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 5:06pm
And he has to paddle back to shore from the mooring facing the wrong direction, otherwise it’s an invalid test for Maine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksa1458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 6:05pm
While we are making videos, if there is a section on the purpose/use of the removable bow stop that would be great Tongue

There is a removable pin but the bow stop is locked in place by the set screw????
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 6:27pm
I have wondered what that was for as well. When I did my own I left that part off,figured if I needed it I could do it then.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 6:59pm
I'm simple minded and need to use snaps to cover a boat but what happens if you pull the pin, then remove the set screw and lift up the removable bow stop? I suppose you could also remove the set screw first, then remove the pin.

I'd figure the set screw keeps things from rattling when it's tightened.

That simple mind is also wondering why the chain is so looong? Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksa1458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 7:02pm
For the chain, the Previous Owner did that when they removed the surge brake coupler and added the regular coupler.  That is on the repair list.  

I didn't know if there was some sort of vertical folding tongue when you remove the bow stop or something.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 7:21pm
I don't recall lifting or removing the Ramlin style stop to install a cover, I thought you loosed that set screw and pivoted the stop forward then put on your cover. I see in pictures that I can find on the web that there is no bottom pivot bolt. But I copied mine off of Chris Mars's at the time new Ramlin so maybe his has a lower pivot bolt ? Can't see me adding that feature on my own but it works well.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 7:38pm
Here's a link to an old thread about Ram Lin trailers with a swing up tongue

Remove the bow stop and swing the tongue up to gain quite a bit of storage space
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 8:05pm
My son's Ramlin has that same bow stop but it's mounted to the swing out part, so the bow stop has to be removed to swing the Toung.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

And he has to paddle back to shore from the mooring facing the wrong direction, otherwise it’s an invalid test for Maine.

Kevin you guys take a few hundred foot canoe ride way too seriously.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 8:34pm
Yea I don't know those are all 20+ year old trailers. Found this picture I have of Chris's trailer which is way newer, it is different and this is what I copied except for the set screw. You can see in my picture that my swing away tongue is about a foot forward of the stop where Chris's is right on.  Whatever they did it works great and glad I have it instead of the original setup that was on mine

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksa1458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2022 at 8:42pm
I did some googling and didn’t find this thread. Thanks for sharing. That trailer is actually a prestige but they are identical to the Ramlin as far as I can tell.

“My original 2000 RamLin had the old-school "hinge up" tongue which I hinged up and down before and after every use of the boat for 10 years. It can be done in 30 seconds. Pull out the bow stop, set it under the trailer, pull the main pin on the tongue, hinge it up and hook the safety chain to the bow eye to keep it hinged up. Easy and effective.”

I will have to try this!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2022 at 7:29am

2 posts for common cover struggles in one week! Lol. Someone has to make a YouTube vid explaining the basics.

Here's a link to a PN thread with a video on installing a Cover Sports cover post  #11.

it's just sooo easy it's a SNAP  ..................and takes a video to show the non rocket scientist or surgeon how to do it

I'm way to simple minded for that evolution  Wink

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2022 at 8:16am

I thought the lowest common denominator was Velcro Big smile
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2022 at 8:19am
Originally posted by marksa1458 marksa1458 wrote:

While we are making videos, if there is a section on the purpose/use of the removable bow stop that would be great Tongue

There is a removable pin but the bow stop is locked in place by the set screw????

Yes it's made to flip up hence the extra slack of flexible brake line hanging down in the above picture.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksa1458 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2023 at 9:39am
Just to circle back on this - I did figure out how to use the flip up tongue.  Need to replace/fix the surge brake that was removed but will save that for another thread... Wink

and with the bow stop neatly set in the bolt hole:

Pretty slick really and having the extra room in the garage is a huge win!
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2023 at 9:51am
Nice move! It looks like you got the trailered 196 down to about 21’ in total.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic