NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Very HIGH oil pressure??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very HIGH oil pressure??
    Posted: December-13-2022 at 12:28pm
GEN 4 454   -- CARB -- RAW WATER PUMP   ( new used engine_

starts good and runs good 

OIL PRESSURE 75 PSI IDLE COLD   gets down to 60 hot and 75 at approx 3200 rpms when running

started in for first time in 2 months   ---   75 idle cold and 95 cold at 2k    --- noticed small trail of oil from seam of the wix oil filter at 95 psi

using straight 40 weight oil

for process of elim can i run 10w 30   ???

tks
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2022 at 1:32pm
Absolutlely run 10-30 just try to get oil with enough zinc in it.    Sounds like your pressure relief valve in the oil pump has stuck.  Assuming your gauge and oil pressure sender are fine.
I just saw it is a new used engine to you.,   Some engine builders install a High Pressure oil pump at rebuild.   It is not necessary for lower RPM use like in a boat.   If you were running 7500 RPM plus it is a good idea.
Oil pumps in a new and tight engine typically make enough oil pressure to open the relief valve by 500 RPM.  If it does not open the pressure will continue to rise with RPM.   As long as you can seal the leaking oil filter the high oil pressure will not hurt anything but it wastes a little Horse Power spinning the pump that hard.   I saw one small block GM that blew off the oil filter from a stuck pressure relief but they started the engine when it was 20* outside so the oil was thick and cold.
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2022 at 2:06pm
guages and sender fine  . confirmed with manual guage as well

highest rpms i aver go is 4k    ,,, cruise at 3,2000

putting the 10w 30  and oil filters  tonight and hoping for good news .. hope thinner oil brings me to approx 65 psi cold dile 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2022 at 2:20pm
Here's a little refresher on your ongoing oil issues.

The link goes to your last thread and there's a link in there to your thread from a year before Wink

link to June 2022 thread

link to  March 2021 thread

Did you ever figure out how you lost most of the oil from the engine?

I guess you never tried the 15w40 oil that was mentioned and stuck with your straight 40.

Rotella 15w40 or anybody else's 15w40 diesel oil would be a good choice  or find some Rotella or anybody else's 10w30 diesel oil
Tko87 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tko87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2022 at 2:39pm
tried 15 40 ----to make a long story short   i got another engine and now this one has the high oil pressure
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2022 at 3:28pm
Straight 40 is for Detroit 2 strokes
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2022 at 6:07pm
I guess just to make this easier to understand ..............is this the same engine that you put in the boat before your thread from 2021 about high oil pressure and the same engine that used most all of it's oil in a 90 mile trip in June of this year?

Or is it a new one since June?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic