Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Change entire fuel water filter bracket?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change entire fuel water filter bracket?
    Posted: December-16-2022 at 9:03pm
Hey Guys, 
Is it sacrilege to swap out the large fuel water separator on an 86 SN with this:
I am just thinking that my kids would be more likely to swap out something they can get off the shelf at West Marine. I know I did this on an Osco 351 in a narrow body because it came with a weird WIX gas only filter, and it worked fine.
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2022 at 5:32am
I'd swap that thing out in a heartbeat and throw the original away or sell/give it to one of those "keep it original types"  that might actually think it's a sacrilegeWink
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2022 at 7:24am

I would change it out due to the bulkiness, hard to change out without spilling gas let along getting the casing off the bracket to get to that filter.  But like Keno said, people like me like to stay original. Not a priority for me now but the day will come. 

mrhemi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrhemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2022 at 9:44am
I have recently changed the one on my '89 to that style (as part of my "barn find" refurbishment that I will be updating in a previous thread). I utilized the original bracket so you actually have to look close to see it has been altered. 
Interesting thing, I was the original private owner of an '83 Ski Nautique that was equipped with a Mercruiser 350 GM engine. It was fitted with that type of fuel / water separator as well as a much handier remote oil filter setup. On those two items, Mercruiser was way ahead of Pleasurecraft. Not so much on others, raw water pump and ignition being two big problem items on the Mercruiser.
You know you are getting to be vintage when someone says "Back in the day..." and you can dispute their facts.

Mr. Mike.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2022 at 2:16pm
Thanks guys. It is done. Pretty easy job. I used the old bracket. West Marine sure has come down on it's prices. They actually had it on the shelf. 
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2022 at 10:49am
Sounds like a good idea.  Any pictures?
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2022 at 6:37pm
I will post some photos of how mine was done with the original bracket when we get through the "No posting photos zone" that we are experiencing as KENO described. 

andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2022 at 12:15pm
Good post.  I really dislike the old water separator so this change is happening as I rebuild my 1986.
Builder
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2022 at 9:33pm
Let me know when I can post pics. We went with 3/8 fittings, so we just used 90* elbows like the old one had and 3/8 nipples. If we had gone with a 1/4 threaded filter, we could have used the old ones, and sadly we finally ground the 90* bracket off to make it a straight bracket, and drilled 2 holes for the fuel filter bracket. 
I was going to keep the 90* overhang, so it was still original, but my son rolled his eyes at me. 
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2023 at 12:01pm
Here is how the original mount on my 86SN was modified to accept the newer filter style. This is also my first attempt at posting photos since the elephant has left the building.Big smile

brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2023 at 12:49pm
I did the same on my 89 but made a new bracket from a piece of aluminum scrap:

andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2023 at 2:24pm
Nice job on the bracket. 

In the picture, it looks like you skipped the original black plastic carpet transition piece between the floor and the side carpet.  I like your look much better, any issues with not having the transition strip?  Which did you put down first, the floor or the side carpet?
Thanks
Builder
brhillman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brhillman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2023 at 7:18pm
The black plastic is actually there, just not that visible in the photo I think because of the angle and focus. I do think I’ve seen it skipped in replacement installs before, but can’t comment on how that would work!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic