Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1989 SN Steering Upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1989 SN Steering Upgrade
    Posted: December-24-2022 at 1:57am
Hi,

I am going to look at a replacement steering cable, since mine has always been stiff. I will do some tests to confirm the bad cable, but its hasn't been changed in over 15 years.

For the 1989 Ski Nautique, I believe I need the OEM "17.5 foot rotary steering cable", which runs about $350.

I just wanted to know if an "upgrade" to a rack & pinion system is possible (and not too complicated)?

Idea would be the non-tilt helm - Seastar SH5210P with matching cable.

Has anyone attempted this on a "SN2001" Ski Nautique? Is it possible? The costs for those two parts is similar to the original cable.

Just to add... the aluminum steering wheel hub is very corroded, and the plastic center ring is badly cracked. The steering spokes are loose, and I thing removing the bolts is stripping the threads. I might need to replace it too.

Thanks,
Greg
1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2022 at 11:32am
A rack and pinion set up is possible however they do take up a little more real-estate under the dash.
Also you will need to replace your tiller arm or modify your tiller arm. or try and find that oddball length cable that works with the old tiller arm geometry.

Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2022 at 6:45pm
Along with the helm and steering cable and the tiller arm, you also need a shorter steering support tube if you want the steering to be able to use all of it's designed travel and get maximum rudder angle in both directions with the new shorter throw cable.(8.5 inches compared to the "special" CC cable you have now with 10.5 inches of throw.

You can buy a steering support tube that's 10 1/2 inches long or you can shorten the 12 1/2 inch tube that you have now.

The tiller arm you presently have is about 8 inches from the centerline of the rudder post to the cable attachment point, the arm used with the later rack and pinion systems is about 6 1/2 inches.

link to tiller arm 

The rack itself is about 19 inches long so it extends about 9 1/2 inches from the centerline of the steering wheel, so it takes up more space in the horizontal direction and quite a bit less than a rotary helm in the vertical direction.

You should also google "measuring a rack and pinion steering cable" and "measuring a rotary cable" because they're done differently Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic