Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 Piece Rear Main Seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Piece Rear Main Seal
    Posted: March-02-2023 at 3:57pm
Still plugging away on the '78 Nautique.

The replacement engine, a 1980 RH 351 will be ready for assembly soon. As this is a pre '83, it also requires a 2-piece rear main seal.  After reading through some posts, it appears that seals specifically labled as RH may not be mandatory. However, I also gathered that it may not apply to all seals; they need to be a smooth ones, lest it guide oil outside the engine. Online research didn't produce much enlightenment, so if anyone has thoughts or advice on what to use, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2023 at 5:44pm
A Felpro BS 40042 will work with either rotation, since the wick lines are in the crankshaft on the engines that use the 2 piece seal like your 1980 

It's a smooth seal that "goes both ways" Wink

Lots of other brands that will cross reference to the Felpro number too.

Front seal for Reverse Rotation only is Felpro 17795
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2023 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

A Felpro BS 40042 will work with either rotation, since the wick lines are in the crankshaft on the engines that use the 2 piece seal like your 1980 

Thank you good Sir !
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2023 at 8:48pm

I noticed on Felpro's front seal that it has a SKF part number on it (CR18562) same with Skidim. I can find this for 10 bucks online. I wonder if  SKF is private labeling this for Fel Pro.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2023 at 8:01am
You'll find other names on Felpro oil seals too, like National for example.

I think when it comes to oil seals Felpro is a "repackager" Wink
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-16-2023 at 4:29pm
I can confirm the SKF CR18562 seal works fine: https://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38164&title=351w-rr-seals
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2023 at 3:54am
Fel Pro and National are owned by the same company.  Today I think that is Apollo.  Last year it was Tenneco, for 30 years prior it was Federal Mogul.   Federal-Mogul was bought by Tenneco and Apollo bought out Tenneco.   How the world turns.   In the year 2000 Fel Pro manufactured 98% in house in Skokie IL.  Carl Icahn owned Federal Mogul at the time and decided they should only make the Key Parts in house and farm out everything else.   I still use many sets of the Fel Pro per year but it is sad to see a company broken apart like that in the name of corporate profits.   Fel Pro still manufactures Millions of parts each year in house but the small misc parts are now farmed out.  I would bet the in house number is still at least 65% and key parts like head gaskets are near 100% in house.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2023 at 7:43am
So Neil...........after a small detour through the incestuous, inbred world of auto parts, you know the SKF seal
will work based on Wilhelm's link

it might make you wonder how a SKF seal gets repackaged by Felpro when they could have repackaged a seal from National. or why they repackage from both outfits when one (SKF) is not even a member of the same incestuous family.

Myself, I don't really care as long as the part that I get works, wherever in the world it might have come from or who might or might not own the company Wink

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2023 at 2:05pm
It has to do with production runs efficiency and annual demand.  As parts slow down in sales companies make decisions to continue making the part or to source it.  On slow selling parts it will gravitate to one company still making the part and the others just re box it.   They tool up to make a part and that has costs involved.  They may build 1,000 to 5,000 parts in a production run.  Building less is just not efficient.   5,000 may be a 4 year supply so they sell to all the other vendors.   The next step is they stop making them completely and they become un obtainable.   This is common as parts hit the end of their run.   Try and find parts for a Model A.  I think we are years away from small block Ford parts going away but at some point it happens.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2023 at 5:41pm
So Neil, it looks like you have a tough choice to make here.

Since they're both readily available, would you rather buy the SKF seal at a pretty cheap price or buy the same SKF seal at 2 or 3 times the price from a "repackager" ?

You're a banker, I think you'll probably make a good choice Wink
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2023 at 6:01pm

So Neil, it looks like you have a tough choice to make here.

Since they're both readily available, would you rather buy the SKF seal at a pretty cheap price or buy the same SKF seal at 2 or 3 times the price from a "repackager" ?

You're a banker, I think you'll probably make a good choice Wink

Tell you one thing...if this canoe ends up leaking oil, I just hope I don't turn into Woody Hayes.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2023 at 6:30pm
How about a quick recap of what's happening with this new engine so far?

You doing the work or is a shop doing it?

Got all your other gaskets figured out or more questions to come?
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2023 at 11:07pm

How about a quick recap of what's happening with this new engine so far?

You doing the work or is a shop doing it?

Got all your other gaskets figured out or more questions to come?

I started a new thread. One thing I forgot to mention is difficulty in finding a builder once it's
been machined.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic