Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Restoring Blue 1977

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
charlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restoring Blue 1977
    Posted: April-23-2023 at 8:06pm

Hello! 

First-time poster here. Sorry for the long post, but I want to include all the details for this project. 

I’m surprising my husband, Brian, while he’s out of town by restoring our blue 1977 Ski Nautique. Some of you probably know him, so SHHHHH! ;) 

He replaced the carpet and it runs great, so we’re good there. 

For the surprise, I’ve already had all the seats, engine cover, and intake cover (sorry if I’m not calling these by their correct names) reupholstered to as close to the original color and pattern as possible. It looks AMAZING! I’ve ordered two sets of the original stickers from outboarddecalset.com, On and Off to clean the hull (thanks to reading through posts on here), and teak oil to restore the swim platform. 

I hope this is okay and that it works: I’ve linked a Google folder so you can see all the photos.

I have three main goals left, with some questions for each:

• #1: Repaint the Ski Nautique lettering and stripes on the hull (the previous owner [RIP our good friend, Bobby V] hand-painted over the original lettering/stripes with a brush). I read on here that Rust-Oleum V7527 Royal Blue is a perfect match, so I ordered that and the black gloss for the outline.

• I purchased this 12”x100’ transfer tape that I’ll place over the lettering and then use an exacto knife to cut out the letters/stripes. Prior to that, though, should I very lightly sand the lettering (mostly to knock down the hand-painted brush strokes), blow it off, and wipe clean with acetone? Anything else I need to do to prep the area? What grit should I use?

• Do I need to seal all of this with a clear gloss?

• I also read on here that I should pull the transfer tape off ASAP. Does that mean while it’s still wet, or right after it’s dry to the touch?

• #2: We are missing two of the small 7 ¾” teak inserts that slide into the steps on each side of the boat. Where in the world do I find these?? I’ve looked online, but cannot find them. Do I just need to be patient and wait for someone to part out a ‘77? What years did they use that style? Again, hopefully you can see the link to the folder of pics.

• #3: Lastly, the plastic Correct Craft emblem is completely gone on one side and broken on the other. It was black on white. I can’t find that style anywhere; and I can’t find the other style that’s out there (silver on black), in stock anywhere, either. I did find these silver on black replica stickers, but these are 16” and I measured the ones on our boat at 21”.  Again, do I just wait for someone to part those out? 

Thank you soooo much for your insight, advice, tips, and patience with reading this long post!

Camden

Heart
Camden Harlan
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2023 at 9:21pm
Hey the pictures look great, wish i knew about that transfer tape, i taped my lettering off with various size fine line tape starting at 1/8 inch.

Yes pull the tape while paint is wet. No clear is needed.
Scuff the lettering with 320 but acetone will smear paint and paint dust into the white gelcoat, real pain to deal with. Just wipe it off and start masking.
Take your time masking, use gravity, start at the bottom and sqee gee the tape on slowly making sure theres no bubbles, leave a folded corner up top to aid pulling.
Mask off the whole thing, stripes and lettering but in sections i.e
The front stripe to the S,
Ski
Nau
Tiq
Ue
The rear stripe
This way you can cut out and paint both colors and pull tape without being in a rush or if you need a break.

Go to michaels and get good wooden handle brushes soft, medium with various shaped bristles, there about 12 bucks a piece.

The reproduction plastic correct craft are available and are a quality product, but they don't match the original rivet holes so maybe that's a cherry on top project you and your husband can do together as there will be fiberglass and gelcoat work.

Someone has those teak strips you need and i'm sure other members will chime in and help you out.

Good luck, great project, awesome surprise.
charlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2023 at 9:59pm
@wayoutthere, thank you so much for taking the time to reply with great details and tips!
Camden Harlan
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2023 at 10:43pm
Awesome score. My favorite year and color. I think those 3 rear small decals are still available (awsa, cc, usa, ) those make the look
Enjoy
Btw.. check out wayouthere project
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2023 at 10:50pm
Search for Stan Christianson and you should find contact info. He makes the white and black emblems and they are awesome. I’ve used them twice and they lined up perfectly on a 78 and 72.

For paint, I would definitely sand the paint some. More you get off the better. But caution taking it all off bc you may not be able to see the outline to mask. Also, be gentle with the exact knife. Don’t want marks. 320 will be fine. You may want more. I would also spray the paint with a sprayer or airbrush. I think it will take multiple coats so you prob can’t peel when wet. Something will have dried. As for clear, I regret not using a clear only for the UV protection. That would have been nice over the rustoleum.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2023 at 2:01pm
Stan's info

Stan Christensen
1668 N. Baker Ave
Ontario CA

Rumstan@AOL.com is his e mail

Phone 909 322 8977

This was all verified with Stan today and he still has the emblems

Didn't ask about prices, just verified the contact info Wink

For the step pads, you can hope somebody that has some sees this thread or you could start a new thread in the Boat Parts Wanted section looking for complete pads or just the wood.
charlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2023 at 9:03pm
Thank you all so much! I just sent an email to Stan. Sandpaper and other supplies are ordered. I appreciate you all! I'll be sure to post more pictures when she's all done.
Camden Harlan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic