NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel oil in a gasoline engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2023 at 1:41pm
So as mentioned earlier, we're all using whatever lets us sleep at night. Wink
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2023 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

But it's just another oil thread and it is a forum after all.
Whilst we're on the subject of oils, can anyone explain the rationale for using trans fluid on a teak swim platform?

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2023 at 9:30pm
Conventional or Synthetic ?  LOL
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2023 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Conventional or Synthetic ?  LOL

Well, if it's Indonesian Teak, you must use conventional as the fibers will definately wear out prematurely. Studies show that the Teak's natural oils give up an electron to certain emulsifiers found in the synthetics and will degrade substanially unless you're on-plane most of the time.

However if it's African Teak, then synthetic is OK. (provided it's Dextron).

Check out from 01:45 in on Ron Tanis's video (The hyperlink function created a link, but it wouldn't work, so you'll have to cut/paste.)

https://youtu.be/cCcwFxcyBWo

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2023 at 6:18am

Originally posted by NeilMcG NeilMcG wrote:

Check out from 01:45 in on Ron Tanis's video (The hyperlink function created a link, but it wouldn't work, so you'll have to cut/paste.)

Umm........why did it work for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCcwFxcyBWo

Am I the "missing link"?  I thought I was just "early caveman"  Wink

Maybe somewhere in some old thread in the link you'll find an answer.............or not

link
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2023 at 8:24am

Umm........why did it work for me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCcwFxcyBWo

Am I the "missing link"?  I thought I was just "early caveman"  Wink
You know it's gonna be a rough day when you're outwitted by a caveman LOL

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2023 at 11:10am
It wouldn't be CCF if a thread didn't take a turn off into left field LOL
I needed some to replace some broken and missing pieces on another branded boat and quickly found out that it is very hard to find, even boat salvage yards don't have a lot especially wider sizes
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2023 at 12:14pm
So a mix of transmission fluid and linseed oil on a platform.  Not sure how they came up with that one, but I suppose if it works, it works.  I'll stay with my Watco teak oil.

The way that platform was sanded I'd expect it to be like standing on wet ice.  Unless maybe that oil combination creates some grip.

If transmission fluid works on the swim platform, can I use teak oil in my transmission?

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2023 at 12:20pm

But it's just another oil thread and it is a forum after all.
Whilst we're on the subject of oils, can anyone explain the rationale for using trans fluid on a teak swim platform?

Neil

I don't see many answers coming your way, so here's what I think are some things that would possess somebody to do something like that

A  They're not very smart

B  They're cheap and had some laying around

C  Somebody told them that it wouldn't work so they had to try it and see what happens

D  They were just curious ( or maybe I read about it here on CCF years ago)

Since I fit into each of those categories, I guess I can say that I've used it before...........and it works pretty well with the right prep Wink

I can't remember if it was synthetic or conventional, new or used, might have been mixed with boiled linseed oil and something else I read about here on CCF

Check the link in my last post and you'll find a TRBenj concoction in one of those threads

Now as far as what's the best............remember .it's just another oil thread
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2023 at 12:40am
I will get slayed for this note but I have used Olive oil on my teak deck many times, can’t really say I see it as better or worse than Teak Oil but when I read out of Teak oil and my deck looked bad I grabbed the Olive oil from the kitchen and used it.   Seemed to work almost the same as my Teak oil.   I used it for years.   I have since got another bottle of Teak oil and use it now but don’t really see an improvement.   Maybe if I had time to use the boat more I would see a difference.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2023 at 8:42am
Olive oil seems more reasonable than tranny fluid, at least organic natural
Wait until the wife gets tranny fluid on her bathing suits
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic