Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Diesel oil in a gasoline engine

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
uncle-buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diesel oil in a gasoline engine
    Posted: April-27-2023 at 10:34am
Good piece about this topic on MotorTrend's website:

"...the type of ZDDP in a diesel engine oil is not the same as the ZDDP in a gasoline engine oil. This is an important difference; diesel engines run at lower rpm than gasoline engines, so that difference in engine speed changes the way the ZDDP needs to activate to provide anti-wear protection. To get a little technical, diesel engine oils typically contain primary ZDDP and gasoline engine oils contain a blend of secondary and primary ZDDP. Just as a side note, racing oils just contain secondary ZDDP. Both types of ZDDP offer anti-wear protection, but the gasoline type of ZDDP provides more protection for higher-speed engines (think bigger valvesprings)."

1990 Ski Nautique (original owner)
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
Tomrupp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomrupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 3:00pm
Thanks for sharing Uncle Buck. I’ve heard of this diesel oil in the ski boat move. I’ve been tempted to try it. I love the “what’s the best oil” debates for some reason. After the article, I’m sticking with VR1 in the Nautique and Rotella in the Duramax.
Tom
94 Ski Nautique Open Bow 351 with Carb
95 Double Decker Aqua Patio with 50hp Honda (3 carbs).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 5:41pm
Our local Costco had Kirkland Heavy-Duty Diesel 15W-40 oil on sale for $10 per gallon last week. Was tempted to try it - until I read that article.

Ended up using Pennzoil conventional 10W-40 and a ZDDP supplement.
Valvoline VR1 is great, too.

I don't know what the "best" oil is, but I know most of the readers of these forums love their boats. And, until last year, I was totally ignorant about the need for zinc in engines with flat tappet cams.

Hopefully, the MotorTrend article will educate some folks who have older engines and allow them to make better informed decisions. 
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 6:19pm
A curious person would probably ask himself something like "how did my engine survive all these years with some inferior oil or inferior amount of zinc in whatever oil I was using?"  Wink
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 7:49pm
I agree with KENO that many engines survive just fine with "non recommended" oil.  Per PCM, the recommended oil for many years was 40 weight.  To my knowledge, I've never yet run straight 40 weight in either of my Ski Nautiques.  I've run Shell Rotella T6 in just about everything from lawn mowers to my new PowerStroke diesel  -- even in my flat tappet 351 SBF on occasion.  

As for the primary and secondary ZDDP additives, I suppose that makes a small difference in the high RPM engines.  As marine engines typically don't rev much past 4,000 to 5,000 RPM, I doubt that the ZDDP type matters as much as the ZDDP parts per million (PPM).

I even put full synthetic ATF in my PCM 40A transmission...gasp!

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2023 at 11:28pm

No respect, I tell ya'. Big smile

PCM 351W with D.U.I.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 12:23am
It's an "oil thread" Buck.  Ask 10 people and get 15 responses!
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 3:35am
Yep, I too run Diesel oil in my flat tappet engines to gain the extra ZDDP.   On the old car forums many if not most owners run the Diesel oils.  I have yet to hear of a failure associated with this practice.   Many modern Diesel engines have the ability to run up to 5000 RPM, same as our boats, did the recommended oil change for them?   Many of those diesels run roller cams, roller followers etc so maybe not a fair comparison.   
I think ZDDP is necessary for sure with the flat tappet engines.  ( non Roller Cams ).   Get it from what ever source makes you happy and floats your boat.  Keep Clean oil in your engines and do not worry.   
I am not saying the Specialty blend oils might not be better in some respects, for $5 more per quart they should be.  I am not yet convinced to upgrade and change what has worked for the past 20 years.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 8:22am
That same curious person might be wondering why the  oil of his favorite brand, which doesn't contain the "magical" amount of zinc hasn't turned his 30 plus year old engine's camshaft into just plain junk. This could be Buck and a whole bunch of other people too Wink

Or another might wonder why the break in instructions for that rebuilt flat tappet 351w marine engine he bought (ATK from Summit for example), say to break it in with high zinc oil or a break in supplement and then use whatever 10w30 oil you want after the break in period is over.

He might also wonder how much zinc is in some of those "high mileage" oils these days or how much zinc is in most motor oil these days

Then again, somebody else might say if a little extra zinc in your oil makes you sleep good at night, that's just fine 

Like JQ said.................it's an oil thread  Wink

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 10:23am
I was under the impression that oil threads are a winter doldrums discussion only. Sorta like not wearing white after Labor Day type thing. This time of year it only should be things like- core plugs vs freeze plugs,why is there water pouring out of the side of my block, impeller vanes missing or installed the wrong way, why is my raw water pump not pumping,can I tow a tube from the lift ring etc. It's just common courtesy....      
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 2:02pm
When is it fashionable/courteous for people to blame every gas related issue they have on ethanol Gary?

Is that a year round thing?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 2:43pm
I can't wait to go pull a tube from my lift ring while running on ethanol fuel after an oil change with straight 40 weight low zinc oil.  I might even see if I have a 30 year old quart of Slick50 lying around that I could add.

Like Tom, for some reason I enjoy reading oil threads.  Earlier this morning I was reading about oil for oil-consuming Subaru's.  Everyone has their preferences and fun to see the different views.  I have very mechanically inclined friends that adhere to the "my engine doesn't care what I put in it as long as I change the oil", others that are more of the oil-snob crowd like me.Smile

I run VR1 20-50 in my boats.  I ran Rotella T6 in my Duramax until it was hard to get and switched to Delvac synthetic 15-40.  I run Royal Purple in my RX8 rotary.  I tend to buy more expensive oil filters.  And ... don't attack me on this ... a lot of the time I run 93 octane in my boat and RX8.Shocked

On Uncle Buck's original post ... interesting info, not something I'd heard before.  I so far haven't run "diesel oil" in anything but my diesel's but you never know.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I was under the impression that oil threads are a winter doldrums discussion only.

Right Gary, but it's always winter somewhere ...
NeilMcG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeilMcG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I was under the impression that oil threads are a winter doldrums discussion only.

Let me throw some more gas onto the fire. There's an article by a petroleum engineer who said not to use enhancers to "zinc up" oil because although zinc gets added, it might be at the expense of dropping the ph too low, or just throwing off the chemistry of the base oil.
Have a relaxing weekend 😴
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2023 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Oops I forget about our Minnesota and northern Wisconsin members  

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

When is it fashionable/courteous for people to blame every gas related issue they have on ethanol Gary?

Yes Ken any time it misses,coughs or does not start.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2023 at 2:59am
Only your wife should be discussing fashion
White after Labor Day Gary
But I got rotella idea from the motor cycle guys I was riding with
Then confirmed here by many
Easy to get at 700am Walmart
Might try this VR1 you speak of
BTW. Did try some ZMAX actually lowered rpm and smoothed out
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2023 at 3:13am
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/the-toolbox/zddp-content-chart-high-zinc-oil-list-brand-breakdown/32479

List of oils with high zddp
Lucas 3000 ppm
Rotella 1500 ppm
Most regular 600

Sorry my link sucks
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2023 at 8:26am
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2023 at 9:59am
Thank you Sir
VR1 same as rotella
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2023 at 6:26pm
So Buck

It would seem that you've run your engine for the past 33 years with what some people would say was an inadequate oil for protecting your flat tappet cam. Maybe more like 27 years since you gave it a 6 year hibernation period.

If you have a good running engine, it seems that your oil choice through the years didn't kill it and if it dies now it won't be because of the supposed lack of adequate zinc all through the years in your "not exactly a race engine" 351.

That would have killed your engine a long time ago (and a whole bunch of other people's too who are using the "wrong" oil according to someone.

Oil and Zinc is like plenty of other topics.............there'll always be a difference of opinion and supposed facts.

So, use whatever lets you sleep at night, whether it's your old oil, your zinc supplement, some high zinc oil, diesel oil or whatever. Wink

PS I found a zinc supplement in my wife's vitamin stash, I wonder if that'll be good for my oil
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2023 at 6:38pm
KENO

That zinc supplement may help out when your cam lobe has gone, well, flat…
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2023 at 8:46pm
Oily stool for sure

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2023 at 11:36pm
Ken,

I assume the oil used in the boat's engine during the critical break-in period and early years of the 1990s had a higher concentration of zinc. Don't know for sure.

And I haven't inspected the cam lobes for signs of excessive wear.

Was merely passing along some info. that I thought might be of interest to members of this forum.
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2023 at 6:24am
Originally posted by uncle-buck uncle-buck wrote:

Ken,

I assume the oil used in the boat's engine during the critical break-in period and early years of the 1990s had a higher concentration of zinc. Don't know for sure.

And I haven't inspected the cam lobes for signs of excessive wear.

Was merely passing along some info. that I thought might be of interest to members of this forum.

And also mentioning how you were now adding a Zinc supplement to your oil even though it survived the break in and all those years afterwards.  There must be a reason like you got scared or something  Wink

It's just another oil thread

I think your cam inspection will be done with your ears, or was it really already done with your ticking noise thread.

You fixed the tick with a bottle of Rislone and some run time and everything was good, so your cam must have been OK, since nothing in a bottle fixes worn lobes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle-buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2023 at 11:40pm
Ken, I'm not following your thinking on this. 
I looked at some oil on sale at Costco and wondered if it would work well in my boat.
Did a little research and decided not to use it for the reasons stated in the article at the link I posted.
Shared the information in this forum.
That's it.

I was not criticizing you or anyone else for using diesel oil in a gas engine. And I didn't get scared or have any ulterior motives. 
Use whatever oil you want to use in your boat. It doesn't matter to me.

You've been very helpful to me through the years and I very much appreciate your assistance.
But your reading of my mind is off the mark...Smile
PCM 351W with D.U.I.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2023 at 8:01am
No problem Buck Wink

But it's just another oil thread and it is a forum after all.

I could post a link to an article that talks about why the reduced zinc levels didn't kill your engine (and a bunch of others) and also recommends not using a zinc supplement and is well worded, written by someone who was a gas and oil engineer for 30 plus years with one of the major oil companies.............but I won't.

I could also post PCM's latest oil recommendation from 2019 that specifies an oil rating and weight even for the old Fords.

We all do what lets us sleep at  night
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2023 at 9:05am
We use Valvoline 20W50 in all our old boats because the info is out there to use zinc and it seems reasonable.  The only reported wiped out cams I've seen reported on CCF were due to breaking in a new cam and not due to using modern oil in an old engine.  I'm still waiting to hear about one of those.  We have a 1988 Malibu Skier that we got with 150 hours and for the next 1000 or so hours it got modern Castrol or Valvoline oil with low zinc and it still is running fine. Same with Fram oil filters, I ran one of those in a 1994 F150 for 14 years and 200K miles as well as in that Malibu Skier and no problems.  I'm either lucky or some info gets overblown.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2023 at 9:48am
There is even a forum that is dedicated to oil threads.  Interesting reading, but lots of varying opinions and emotional testimonials…

www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com

Apparently there is some guy named, well, “Bob” at the heart of the oil issues.   

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2023 at 9:54am
I definitely think some info gets overblown.  But I also think there's some reason to follow new info as it comes along.  Of course 351's aren't failing left and right from using Supertech oil with a Fram oil filter.  That doesn't mean it wouldn't make sense to read, reason through what we've read, and maybe take some steps to avoid problems.  Bruce said it well, "the info is out there to use zinc and it seems reasonable".  That's exactly where I am with all of this.

There is no question that I don't have to change my oil every year with the hours I put on my boat.  But I do.  Makes me feel better.
I know that slapping a prop on without first lapping it in with prussian blue isn't the best method.  But I do it and for some reason that one doesn't bother me.
I think it's possible that every single wood stringer inboard boat doesn't have bad stringers.  But sometimes you'd think they all do.
I once drove into our yard and saw my siblings towing a boat with my '63 Skier, rope attached to the stern lift ring.  Somehow the boat survived.

Lots of great info on all sides of every subject, just have to make decisions we all feel comfortable with.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2023 at 9:55am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

There is even a forum that is dedicated to oil threads.  Interesting reading, but lots of varying opinions and emotional testimonials…

www.BobIsTheOilGuy.com

Apparently there is some guy named, well, “Bob” at the heart of the oil issues.   

JQ

I love that site, was on it a few days ago.  No idea who Bob is, but the web address and site name are a classic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic