NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Read for the summer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rob-Man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Read for the summer
    Posted: May-08-2023 at 2:30pm
Getting the 86 2001 ready for the for summer.  Few questions.  She sat for a few years and was running hot last summer.  I think the thermostat was sticking and i noticed a lot of gunk when flushing water for antifreeze for the winter.  Is there a way to flush the water system?  My plan was to flush the water system if able, put a new thermostat, and new impeller.  Anything else i should do?  
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2023 at 4:19pm
I'd do a bucket test after fitting the new impeller to confirm that there is proper suction in the cooling system.
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Rob-Man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2023 at 4:30pm
Thank you for the feedback, What is the bucket test?  
Wilhelm Hertzog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilhelm Hertzog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 3:27am
Bucket test

A 'Timmy T' or such like makes it easier to do: Timmy T
1982 Ski Nautique PCM351W RR II Velvet Drive 10-17-003 1:1 II PerfectPass Stargazer
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 6:21am
If it's running a little hot then yes it's time for a new impeller. When you pull the old one out make sure it's complete and you didn't lose any vanes/blades off it. If so then you need to go fishing for the missing pieces.

My 99' was running hot this spring at the SJRR. Ran fine all last year putting 125 hrs on it. Figured it was time to change the impeller and did so as I ALWAYS keep a new one on board. Changed it and no fix. Still ran 195'F
Figured the T-stat went bad so I ordered a new one. Once I got it from NP (at home) started the process to change it. Pulled the housing off looked at the OEM one and it was a a little corroded but changed it anyway. Went to scrape the old gasket off the upper housing part and found 2 pieces of old impeller that  were stuck in the bypass port. WTH??? The pieces were tan in color, the one I changed was all there and black. A previous owner changed it and apparently did NOT go fishing for the missing pieces. I'm surprised I didn't have issues before this year.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 9:01am
I need to go fishing myself.  Saturday run all good.  Sunday trip with grandkids...impeller went to pieces.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Rob-Man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 9:05am
Thanks for the feedback.  Where do you order your thermostat and impeller parts from?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 10:36am
Got it all from Nautique Parts. If you need to talk to a person, give the Parts Guru Woody a call at NP. If you're gonna order a Stat go ahead and order another impeller. Keep it on the boat and the necessary tools to change one. I've had 2 occurrences when the temps went high and I needed to change it on the fly. Some recommendations say every year. Nahhhhhh , if it ain't broke don't fix it. I usually get 2-3+ years out of one. Always keep an eye on temp and if it's approaching the 185 mark, then yeah it's tired. 
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Rob-Man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 11:08am
What about flushing the cooling system - is there a way to do this or is it a waste of time?  
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 11:18am
Not really flushing.  What you want to do is 2 things, besides what was mentioned earlier about looking carefully for impeller parts if you see any missing when you change yours.  Drain the block using the 2 engine drain plugs on each side of the lower block.  Then probe both drains with a wire, see if more water and sand comes out, want to make sure it can drain completely.  Then on your exhaust risers hopefully you can remove the riser plugs on both which lets you completely flush and clean them out.  If the plugs won't come out, which isn't unusual, you may have to just do your best with water flow.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Rob-Man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 11:26am
Thank you all for the info.  
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2023 at 3:27pm
If you do have to go fishing for pieces of the old impeller make sure to check in the inlet slots on the impeller pump housing itself. I found a number of pieces jammed in the inlet slots that I almost missed once after assuming all broken pieces would be downstream. Also when you pull the thermostat make sure to check the outlet ports from the thermostat housing to the exhaust manifolds. I found a few hiding there as well. A little bit of dish soap is what I use on the new impeller when installing and it works great for me. 
Rob-Man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 11:09am
It was the impeller, it was shot.  Thanks for the suggestions.  
Rob-Man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 2:52pm
When i was troubleshooting i pulled the thermostat out and ran without it, is ok to run without it.  water temp here is about 73.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic