NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New to me 93 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to me 93 Ski Nautique
    Posted: May-22-2023 at 10:33pm
I don’t think I ever posted about this new boat since we couldn’t post pictures when I purchased it. Bought this 93 SN last September. I had been looking for a 93 in teal and this one came up on Facebook marketplace and happened to be in Durham, NC, which is approximately an hour from me, perfect. And to top it off I was driving to the beach the following day with my family and Durham is right on the way. Two owner boat, garage kept, all original (looks like a base model or some type of special order with the lack of grey/black secondary stripe and the purple pin as well as the all white interior) and the boat had 415 hours. Engine and bilge were clean as a whistle with a carbureted 351.

Haven’t done much to it so far, a couple of stickers were replaced. I also removed an aftermarket box that had been mounted on the dash and have a factory dash mount mirror to put back to original. My dash ground is bad and my gauges jump around and have issues when certain things are turned on. I plan to replace the wiring this winter, but in the meantime, what is the best way to add an additional ground to the dash? I was looking at a few old threads, but all the pics are gone. Would I just take a 10 gauge wire from the engine to the ground busbar to try to improve it for now? Any pics for this timeframe wiring would be appreciated!

78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2023 at 11:53pm
That's what I did on my '92 before I rewired the dash.  There may not be a bus bar to connect it to.  On my '92 I just spliced it into the existing ground wiring in the dash.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 8:39am
Nice Addition to the Fleet. Just need a couple more decades to add and your collection will be complete! Wink
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Mpost View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 9:16am
Wow, Nice score. That is really a well kekpt boat. Clap
84 SN Sold   98 SN    Lund Pro V   1975 Alumacraft
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 9:28am

Beautiful boat you have there! Love the color of aquamarine or teal as some may call it.

Most likely a loose connection but I’m not familiar with your year.

Somebody will respond with what you’re looking for.

Welcome to the site!

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 7:27pm
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 7:56pm
Somebody should mention that you're not exactly a newcomer to the site Wink

I'm kinda wondering about that Red wire that looks like it goes to your temperature sending unit, must be a spliced in "repair" since the original would be Tan(Or maybe it's a temperature switch with the wrong color wire)

Is it one Red wire or 2?   It looks kinda strange
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2023 at 10:20pm
Been around a day or two. Not sure on the red wire. Have to trace it back to the plug on the harness. The temp gauge seems to work well.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 8:41am
Great looking boat, David!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 12:09pm
Great looking boat and in very nice shape, the color scheme is unique for sure.
Your battery box is closer than the engine, I think I would run the new ground to the Neg on the battery.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2023 at 12:58pm
Not the best Slalom tug but it'll do in a pinch but still beats my 88! Tongue 
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2023 at 6:06pm
New to me dash mirror mounted. Had to wet sand scratches from the box out of the gel and then compound, polish and wax. Think it turned out decent.

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2023 at 6:55pm
Beautiful boat.  Love the NWZ "slant-backs".

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2023 at 8:59am
Originally posted by samudj01 samudj01 wrote:

New to me dash mirror mounted. Had to wet sand scratches from the box out of the gel and then compound, polish and wax. Think it turned out decent.

The dash looks amazing.  What exactly did you do to get it like that.  Also I rewired my 91 and I am happy to talk with you about it.  I am in NC as well down on Lake Tillery - PM me and I can give you my number if you need help on the rewiring.  It isn't very hard, but makes all the different especially if you plan to install perfect pass.  NICE BOAT
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2023 at 1:21pm
The dash gel looked like that when I got it.  It just had this box mounted on the dash where the mirror would go (see pic #4 in first post).  After removal, that area needed some tlc.  Wet sanded to get rid of blemishes.  Finished with 1000 or 1200.  Compounded with Super Duty, Polished with Ultra Cutting Creme and waxed.  

As for the wiring...I would love to chat.  Would love to see Tillery too.  As a note: I have wired a 78 Tique and a 72 Skier so I should be good to wire this...I was asking for short term fixes with the dash ground, although I have done nothing with it yet.  Will rewire this winter.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2023 at 2:33pm
Dave (or anybody else with a 91 or later 351 with a Prestolite distributor) Larry (75 Tique) comes to mind as somebody else

Could you look at your distributor and tell me what the ID tag on it says. It riveted under one of the brackets for the hold down screws for the cap.

It looks like what's in the picture below

Yours may start with F1JL instead of E5JL

If it's obscured by the thermostat housing, don't worry about it, it's just a curiosity thing Wink

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2023 at 6:17pm

Didnt get it all, hopefully what you are after.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2023 at 7:49am
Thumbs Up    You got it all..............Thanks 
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2023 at 11:26am
You need another…I’m at the lake. Just saw this.

Also, put an acme 542 on the boat.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2023 at 12:00pm
Sure, another would be great, Thanks
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2023 at 3:05pm
See below pic of dist plaque as well as red wire that was questioned.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2023 at 7:07am
Thanks for the picture Dave

The Red wire looks like it hooks to the oil pressure switch and coolant temperature switch and feeds the warning light on the dash for low oil pressure or hi water temperature

You seem to have an extra Red light after the word Nautiques on the dash plate

And it looks like some globs of silver RTV on the wire connections for the temperature and oil pressure switches.

samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2023 at 8:53pm
Was thinking about this engine after I winterized it. I do have a second light Ken. I don’t know what it is for. I’ll find out this winter when I take the dash off to rewire. I have a reproduction of that plaque to go back to one light.

Also, curious, does a strainer operate properly upside down? I can move it back but it is easier to get to like this.

Winter to dos: new ground, re wire, replace passenger seat base, attempt to straighten driver seat (can you buy the slide mechanism still, mine is bent), fix the gas cap safety cable.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2023 at 1:13pm
Nautique parts .com will have your seat slides as well as new bell washers and fasteners.

Seen em run upside down, might get a few more air bubbles migrating and living in the top of the bowl or upside down bottom? messy and wet when having to clean it..
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2023 at 9:05pm
Dove in to a couple of fixes today. Removed the passenger seat. Need to replace the base. Looks like plywood. May go back with composite. Plywood still dry but wood is cracked so passenger seat sags.

Replacing a water hose between the therm housing and water pump that is worn through at the hose clamp.

Take a look at the back of my dash. Anything funky? The main issues: 2 warning lights. I don't recognize the boat safe box. Fuel gauge bounces around. Horn doesn’t work well. I want to add ground. Short of rewiring all to a ground bud bar, where to splice in a new ground? Wiring isn’t new to me but I don’t want to re wire if I don’t have to.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2023 at 12:09pm
Looks to me like someone added the new warning light and a new buzzer and just tapped into the old warning light wiring with some of those dreaded Scotch Lock connectors 

What's the 2 inch gauge that's where your hour meter was originally installed? Depth finder, maybe speed control/GPS speedometer of one kind or another.

Maybe the mystery Boatsafe box is associated with that.

Why don't the speedometers have any tubing hooked to them?

Your second picture shows a spade connector on an orange wire that's hooked to nothing. 
davidaha View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2023 at 7:15pm
Could you post a pic from farther back showing the full pod when open like that? The 92 SN I picked up a few years ago is a rats nest with many mods.   I can only tip the pod up about four inches and reach under.   Seeing how it was once wired would help.   Mine runs, has PP, separate ground, but sometimes ends up low voltage.   

Any advice on how to rewire would be appreciated.
92 Ski Nautique
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-26-2023 at 11:00pm
No pic for a while. I can do it on Saturday    

Ken, all the answers:

Depth finder

Was taking pod out so I had already pulled the Speedo hoses

I accidentally broke the accessory breaker when struggling with some of the wire harnesses. So I get to buy a new 10 amp. Ugh. That is the loose spade connector x 2
91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2023 at 7:13am
Just my thoughts on what is at best a daisy chained mess from the factory behind the dash -
Others can confirm but the early 90's (I have a 91) are under wired and is what causes the infamous "Chirp" along with gauges bouncing around including not providing enough juice (or at least constant juice) for Perfect Pass making it have a mind of its own which is less than optimal.
I did the following -

Ran a concurrent positive wire to the dash (heavier gauge than factory)
Ran another ground to a bus block on the dash (heavier gauge than factory)
Rewired the entire pod grounding all of the gauges to the bus. (I used all new wires for this)

This solved every issue I was having related to what seems to be anything electrical.  I don't have any metrics to prove this, but I swear overall the boat just runs better and it is nice not having your temp alarm go off because it falsely bounced up 20 degrees when you engaged the lights or an accessory switch.  I did this several years back and have had zero issues since.  I will see if I can dig up some pics if you want them.  

Gary
1991 Ski Nautique
(Previous)1984 Ski Nautique 2001
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2023 at 11:57am
Your boat probably does run better.  The ignition circuit voltage was probably low because of the dash wiring.  With the original dash wiring the ignition voltage comes from the 50 amp breaker on the engine through the harness to the ignition breaker on the dash then through the daisy chain to the key switch then from the key switch through the harness to the engine 15 amp breaker and ultimately to your ignition.  With the less than optimum wiring and connections there was a lot of IR loss.  So by the time the ignition saw that potential it was significantly lower than battery voltage.  Easy to check. Measure the voltage at the 15amp breaker on the engine.  If it's low you can install a positive buss bar at the dash or what I did is add a relay at the engine so the output of the 50amp breaker goes directly through the relay to the ignition circuit.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic