Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet carpet issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MZiggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZiggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet carpet issue
    Posted: July-15-2023 at 2:26pm
Hi folks this is my first posting. Hoping to get an easy solution to this odd situation.

Have a 1995 SN with a GT 40 643 hrs. Owned it since 2000 with 40hrs.
The carpet just to the left of where my feet sit while driving is wet (like pouring a 16oz cup of water kind of wet). I have emptied a small bit of water from the battery compartment and checked the cooler as well.

All I can come up with at this point would be maybe a leaking heater hose running under the floorboards to the front heater core? Seems pretty far fetched but… I also placed a towel down and soaked it up while the boat was docked. Stayed dry until the next morning after a pull. No rain and no one putting a wet vest or towel in the area. Sorry for the long description.
Any help would be appreciated.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2023 at 4:25pm
If it’s not dripping from the dash area that rules out a leaking speedo, so my bet would be the heater core.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2023 at 5:35pm
Since you suspect the heater and hot water from the engine goes to the heater, is the water you're getting on the carpet kinda warm? Wink
Ziggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2023 at 1:35am
Did not think about the speedos. I’ll check them. Also the water has been cool never warm. Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2023 at 7:56am
Maybe that'll be the easy solution you were looking for.

For a quick check, flip your pitot tubes up and you won't get any pressure in the tubing or speedometers and see if the leak goes away
Ziggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2023 at 12:00pm
Will do that next time it’s in the water. Thanks
Ziggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2023 at 2:58pm
Got home from our trip so checking for a leaky Speedo was a challenge but think we gave it a pretty good shot. Opened up the dash pod to view the back side. Took off the pick up tubes at the stern and shot a steady stream of water in them. Enough to get the boat to go 35 mph sitting on the trailer😉. No leaks. Kinda bummed out as I really wanted this to be the issue. Especially since the idea of chasing a leak in the heater core hoses does not sound like fun.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2023 at 6:47pm
Since you haven't given up on the heater, find the 2 hoses that connect to the engine. The supply is most likely on top of the intake manifold probably with an isolation valve to stop flow. The return will probably go to a wye type connection that hooks to the engine in the vicinity of the water pump.

If you disconnect both ends and plug the holes with appropriate fittings that you can get at a hardware store/ home Depot etc, then you can run the engine without the heater hoses having any flow or while it's on the trailer you can hook a garden hose to the heater supply and flow some water thru it and see if your floor gets wet.

Get a look at the heater core itself, probably not far from your feet Wink

If that doesn't get you some wetness, then you're into bigger, tougher issues
Ziggy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ziggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2023 at 8:20pm
Thanks for the suggestion. That’s the next step on my list but I do like the bypass idea. Also thought about disconnecting both ends and pressurizing the loop of hose to and from the heater to say, 10 psi and see it it bleeds down, indicating a leak.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic