Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My First Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Ski Nautique
    Posted: August-23-2023 at 3:47pm

This topic has been something I've wanted to do since I have substantially completed my project but I have been waiting to create it until I could organize all the photos and consider the best layout. After much consideration, deliberation, and delay I figured I just better get on with it lol. Tongue

Thank you to all those who post on this site and help the newbies. I am on this site regularly lurking in the background, soaking up information and I learn something new all the time. I can honestly say this site and those on it gave me the knowledge and confidence to complete this project. I know there is still a lot to learn about these boats but with this site I know about 1000% more than what I did when I started. Cheers to all of you! Beer

This topic is about my introduction to Ski Nautiques and my journey to restore the boat I ended up buying that I wanted to share.

I have always loved boats/boating/tubing/fishing etc. I previously had a 1984 Bayliner Capri Cuddy Cabin which was in very poor shape. Mechanically it was pretty good, but the floor was rotting, the interior was in poor shape etc. The wife was always worried about taking it out with irrational fears (or maybe not so irrational) of it catching fire or sinking, that’s the kind of shape it was in lol. Confused

I started looking for another boat that meet some critical criteria: would fit into my garage, did not have a complicated outdrive system that was difficult to work on, was worth fixing, was worth keeping for a long time, and was in my budget which was pretty small at the time.

I am no water skier and could never get up on a wakeboard, but I found this 1980 Ski Nautique on craigslist and fell in love immediately. It was just waiting for the right person to come along and get it back to water worthy condition. Not sure if it was the best decision financially because during and after I completed most of the work, I saw lots of similar boats for sale for about half of what I ultimately spent on fixing this one up. But... I prefer to work on and build my own stuff because during the process of fixing them, I learn all about what it is I'm working on, and I can more easily diagnose problems down the road. Also, I enjoy bringing stuff back to like new condition.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 3:50pm

The hull was in great shape, the gel coat/exterior looked good for the year and the interior was almost flawless. The carpet had been removed and the PO had sprayed this so-called black bilge epoxy everywhere inside the boat which I realized later was NOT a good thing. The motor was a big question mark too, the PO knew nothing about engines. The marine shop he took it to had pulled one of the heads, not sure why but the PO ultimately decided it was too much money to warrant the repairs and decided to sell it. Lots of rust on anything metal as well. Confused

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 3:51pm

I pulled the motor out to check the condition of the main bearings and all were in pretty good shape except the rear. It had significant scoring as well as the crankshaft for that bearing so off it went to the machine shop. The carburetor was not rebuildable either. Intake manifold was full of rust on the inside and not usable. I also found a broken tooth on the distributor.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 3:54pm

Machine shop bored and honed the block, installed new cam bearings, resurfaced the rods and the crankshaft, and sold me new pistons, rings, main bearings, and rod bearings. I ordered all the marine gaskets, new oil pump, ARP oil pump shaft, rear main seal, a blue one piece rubber oil pan gasket, new RR Pertronix distributor, new water pump, new impeller pump pulley(because I damaged the old one), new impeller, all new hoses, new elbow hose fittings for the exhaust manifolds, new 160 degree thermostat, new coil, new plug wires, new plugs, new Edelbrock Perform RPM intake manifold, ARP bolts for everything I could get them for, Holley Sniper EFI system, new starting relay, and a new alternator. Was rustier than I was expecting but I spent some time after this picture with a dremel and a sanding disc to clean it up.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 3:56pm

I also picked up a used set of GT40 heads out of a 1997 Explorer. One of the heads had a broken intake manifold bolt so I used the mill at my work to get it out and installed a helicoil.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 3:59pm

I did a home valve job on the heads, stripped, cleaned, painted, installed new brass freeze plugs, drilled out for larger head bolts, and replaced all the valve seals.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 4:18pm

I sand blasted and powder coated or painted anything and everything I could including the engine mounts, transmission, transmission mounts, new Edelbrock intake manifold, steering cable arm and bracket, timing cover, all water pump/thermostat pieces etc. Nothing was left with the original paint. I even went as far as taking the alternator apart so I could paint the housing black lol. Big smile

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 4:20pm

For the exhaust manifolds I spent hours sand blasting these things. They were so rusty! I also resurfaced the mounting surfaces. I powder coated them and then stripped the powder coat on the spots that attached to the head and receive the most heat and coated them with KBS extreme temperature primer and paint inside and out to hopefully deter some of the rust for a while.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 4:31pm

I also stripped all the black so-called epoxy from the entire bilge area. In the process I realized that some of the fiberglass was delaminating from the wood substrate at the corners where the floor meets the exhaust channels.Unhappy

I decided to cut the fiberglass out and just address these areas. I know there is some wood rot going on the exterior stringers, but I was not ready to do a full stringer job yet. The main stringers seemed to be in good shape, so I proceeded just fixing these areas. I cut out the old delaminating fiberglass and covered with 3 layers of biaxial 1708 fiberglass cloth and Isophthalic Polyester Resin which after reading on this forum doesn't seem like the best choice...but it was already done so maybe next time lol.

After I was satisfied with the fiberglass repairs, I finished stripping the bilge and I applied 2 coats of Total Boat Bilge Epoxy. 

It went from this:

To this:

To this:

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 4:35pm

Then I cleaned the engine cradle and coated it with 2K SprayMax high gloss epoxy. I also drilled and countersunk 1/4-20 stainless flat head bolts through the cradle so I could attach fuel lines, wires, steering and throttle cables etc. While the engine cradle was out, I poured Restore-Rite StongBond Epoxy Wood Sealer into all of bolt mounting holes in the stringers. Then when I reinstalled the engine cradle and used 3M 5200 in all the holes. I also sanded the gas tank boards and applied the same wood sealer to them before I resinstalled them with new stainless hardware. I installed a new blower, blower hose, new gas tank filler hose and filler port and wired everything up. Also I bonded the gas tank filler port to ground.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 4:45pm

I couldn't fit the boat in the garage without removing the swim platform, so I had to buy or make some removable mounts. I made several attempts to contact Alloy Marine to get a custom set of brackets made but I never got a call back. So, I decided to make my own using some stainless flux cored MIG welding wire. Also I had to make a swing away tongue for the trailer to fit as well.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 4:47pm

I installed new carpeting and remade the removable floor piece because the old one was falling apart. I cut it out of plywood, coated it a layer of fiberglass and polyester resin, then painted it with the Total Boat Bilge epoxy. One of my helpers for the project. Wink

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 4:53pm

Assembled the motor and reinstalled everything with stainless hardware anywhere I could and used some anti-seize on all the bolts to try and prevent future rust issues.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 4:57pm

Here it is going in and installed in the boat, working on wiring, hoses etc. Big thank you to my helpers! Clap

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 5:04pm

I installed a new stereo, mono channel amp, 4 channel amp, 2 5.25" marine speakers, and a custom subwoofer box for 2 6.5" subwoofers that I mounted under the bow above the drivers footrest. New yellow top optima battery and all new DLO battery cables with crimped on lugs.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 5:05pm

Replaced the popout window latches as well. Applied teak oil to the swim deck, steps on the gunnel, and the howl wood pieces. New bilge pump and fuel/water filter.

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 5:09pm

First time in the water and running the engine. Didn't even disconnect it from the trailer because I wasn't sure if it would float or not lol. LOL

1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 5:13pm

Here it is getting some proper use. I have so far learned how to double ski and wakeboard behind it, next on the list: slalom ski! Confused

Still need to finish the carpet on the motor cover, replace all the fuel lines with USCG approved fuel lines, replace the throttle and steering cable, replace the prop shaft packing, install a warning light/buzzer for temperature and oil pressure,  and I'm sure some other small things I can't think of right now.

My next project on it is building a custom replica of the FCT2 tower. I'll save that for another topic. :)

That’s my story, I hope it wasn't too wordy or unnecessarily detailed but I know you guys are all about the details...and pictures, lots of pictures!

1980 SN Project
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 5:28pm
You did an amazing job,something to be proud of for sure. Thanks for sharing
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 5:33pm
Nice work, those are great boats that can serve you for many years if taken care of.   I see you are in Rocklin, what lake is that you are launching at?

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

You did an amazing job,something to be proud of for sure. Thanks for sharing

Thank you Gary S. Smile
1980 SN Project
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by 1980SN2001 1980SN2001 wrote:

new RR Pertronix distributor

Last I knew Pertronix only has a normal rotation 351w marine distributor, so was there some magic involved like a new gear that had to be drilled or bushed down to fit the Pertronix shaft?

Good job with the Sniper Wink
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Nice work, those are great boats that can serve you for many years if taken care of.   I see you are in Rocklin, what lake is that you are launching at?

Thanks MrMcD.

Yes, I'm in Rocklin and I've been following the "PARK JOB" thread you have going very closely lol.

Folsom Lake is my home lake, got an annual pass this year for the first time. The picture of it in the water the first time is at the granite bay launch, way down low because it was in the winter time(I think January). The other pics are all in Folsom as well but over by Rattlesnake Bar.
1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

new RR Pertronix distributor

Last I knew Pertronix only has a normal rotation 351w marine distributor, so was there some magic involved like a new gear that had to be drilled or bushed down to fit the Pertronix shaft?

Good job with the Sniper Wink

Thank you KENO.

I believe you're right because if you peruse the Pertronix online catalog there is no RR distributor. I got this distributor from Ron at skiboatpartsonline.com and I think he has a RR gear made for it and markets it as such. I considered buying an additional gear for it from AAAmarine.com in the event that this gear fails. AAAmarine.com seemed to be having a close out on them about 7 months ago but I hesitated and then it seemed like they closed up shop and the gears are no longer available.
1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 6:25pm
Looking at this picture I realize my efforts to install a temperatue warning light/buzzer have been thwarted by the sniper system... Unhappy

1980 SN Project
AZ86SKI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZ86SKI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 6:39pm
Well done! You put in a ton of work and it really came out great. Thanks for documenting and posting. It's educational and provides motivation for others to complete projects of their own, including me.  
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 7:38pm

Looking at this picture I realize my efforts to install a temperatue warning light/buzzer have been thwarted by the sniper system... Unhappy

Consider your thwarted efforts to be "unthwarted" if that's a word Wink

See the yellow arrow pointing at a pipe plug in your water pump, that's a good spot to screw a temp switch into. The gt40 engines used that spot for the temperature sender for the gauge on the dash. It'll work just fine for your switch.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by AZ86SKI AZ86SKI wrote:

Well done! You put in a ton of work and it really came out great. Thanks for documenting and posting. It's educational and provides motivation for others to complete projects of their own, including me.  

Thank you AX86SKI. I hope it helps someone, or at the very least people get some amusement out all the blood sweat and tears I put into this project lol.
1980 SN Project
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Consider your thwarted efforts to be "unthwarted" if that's a word Wink

See the yellow arrow pointing at a pipe plug in your water pump, that's a good spot to screw a temp switch into. The gt40 engines used that spot for the temperature sender for the gauge on the dash. It'll work just fine for your switch.

Genius, it is unthwarted! Thank you once again KENO!
1980 SN Project
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2023 at 11:30pm
Damn fine job!!  You can be proud of your efforts and how the project came together.  Well done, lad.

Give us some feedback on the Holley Sniper EFI system.  I'm very curious...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic