NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One More Up On A Slalom Ski

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One More Up On A Slalom Ski
    Posted: August-26-2023 at 7:00pm
Good morning on the lake today.  I had 2 of my girls with me in the Ski Nautique.  My youngest daughter, 21 years old, had never tried slalom skiing.  She is a good wakeboarder and surfer girl, but the slalom bug just never bit her.  Today was different.  She watched her sister ski...and her brother-in-law ski...and JQ ski...and the bug finally bit.  She said: "Daddy, I want to try slalom skiing".  There were 3 set sets of eyes staring at her in disbelief.  What?  YOU want to ski?  AWESOME!

No ski boom for learning.  No Easy-Up handle.  No beginner ski.  Just hard-core slalom stuff.

She got up and skied on the 2nd attempt.  Deep water start.  She skied 3 times.  Daddy was very proud of his little girl.  Call me a knuckle-head, but we were so excited about her skiing, that we failed to take pix.  Damn.

I've got another ski buddy on my list...

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2023 at 9:03pm
Hell yea brother
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2023 at 9:24pm
That is a WIN JQ!   Funny a couple weeks ago we had my grandkids out, kneeboards only this trip but I skied and my grandkids said it was great to see and asked their Dad, my son who has not skied in many years after switching to a wakeboard if he could ski.   He got back on a slalom and seemed to have a lot of fun.   Took 6 tries to get him up so your daughter is way ahead.   I agree it is good to see them take up the old and nearly gone sport of skiing!   
1980SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2023 at 9:35pm
Very nice! It’s harder than it looks. I haven’t been able to get up yet so she is doing great.
1980 SN Project
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2023 at 10:17pm
Very cool !!
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2023 at 8:29am
Good Story and good for you!  Last summer I convinced my three daughters who were 26 (twins) and 30 at the time to try to all get up at once on a slalom ski.  They agreed and after about 6 attempts they all got up in unison.  It was also a proud Dad moment for me.  Then I had to fulfill my promise to them that I would make a "reel" for instagram and post it.  Lets just say they were more successful than I was.  My oldest finally said "just let me do it for ya old man"!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2023 at 11:27am
Good Stuff Fellas!!  Clap

I'll keep it going with I too had a "new" skier get up last Friday. My Father in Law finally made it back to the Morfoot Marina and had stated that upon his next visit he wanted to try and get up on skis. Hadn't skied in 30+ years but wanted a crack at it. Broke out the boom and he was up on his 2nd attempt. Got tired after about 1 mile and let go. Wanted to try long line so we did, but could only get up squatting. He just didn't have any strength left to stand up. Got an enema for about 1/8 of a mile then let go. Not bad for a 69.75 yr old man. He wanted to try again on Sunday but a sore back and arms nipped that one in the bud. He said that he'd forgotten how much fun it was and how many muscles it took to ski. He was sore but was happy he did it. Claims he's gonna try again next time they come down but til then he's gonna try and get in better shape.

Congrats JQ & BB on milestones met. Happy Dads for sure!!!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2023 at 6:19pm
Tell him to stick with it Morfoot, one of my friends skied with us a couple weeks ago, he is 77, had his second knee replaced in March and is skiing again, deep water starts on a comp ski.  He is one handing his turns and looks great out there.   He says he has not told his Doctor he has resumed water skiing.   He does hike several miles every week to rehab his knees.   When I pulled him up the first time he did not make it.  He asked why I pulled him up so soft.  Instructed me to Hit it Full Throttle.   He popped straight up with full throttle.   I never do that assuming I will rip the arms out of the socket but he popped straight up.   There is hope as long as we keep at it.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2023 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

…Not bad for a 69.75 yr old man. He wanted to try again on Sunday but a sore back and arms nipped that one in the bud. He said that he'd forgotten how much fun it was and how many muscles it took to ski. He was sore but was happy he did it. Claims he's gonna try again next time they come down but til then he's gonna try and get in better shape.

Cool story.  Thanks for sharing.  Tell your F-I-L to keep at it.  I’m almost 64 and I ski 2 to 3 days per week. I refuse to act my age.

I was riding my son’s longboard last week and my neighbor (he is 80 something) approached me with concern in his voice: “What are you doing?”  To which I responded: “Longboarding”.  He then asked: “What if you fall?”  So I said: “Just don’t tell Jake I was using his board.”  He just walked away shaking his head. 

JQ

Note:  Falling while longboarding hurts more than when slalom skiing.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic