Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Exhaust Tube Correct Craft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RedSmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhaust Tube Correct Craft
    Posted: September-26-2023 at 11:09am
How do I replace the exhaust tubes on my boat.  3.5" wire reinforced.  I can see the manifold attachment, but, do I just thread it to the stern and then how does it fit at the back.  Also, have you experimented with noise baffling.  My boat just uses some carpeting, but it makes a very tight fit for the tube.  Thanks.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2023 at 5:49pm
I think you have an 88 Ski Nautique based on previous posts.

An 88 came from the factory with mufflers and the exhaust hose was 3 inch ID wire reinforced stuff. and the riser outlets were 3 inch OD and the 3 inch ID hose fit over the outlet

The hoses went from the riser to the fiberglass muffler inlet and there was another piece from the muffler outlet to the exhaust through hull fitting that it slips over. Double hose clamps everywhere.

So.........do you still have mufflers under those carpet pieces or maybe somebody replaced the mufflers with long rubber hoses sometime in the past.

To get yourself ready to tackle the wire reinforced hoses, you need to wrestle with a couple of alligators to get in shape Wink

Cutting the old ones off is probably the easiest way

Putting the  new ones on, heat and your favorite slimy stuff like dish soap or hand cream makes things easier.

Sometimes removing the riser from the manifold and putting the hose on the riser outlet then reinstalling the riser can be easier, but it can also create more problems like broken bolts, leaks at the riser to manifold joints etc.

Most any way that you look at it, it's not a lot of fun 

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2023 at 7:23pm
I agree with Ken, tough job, the hoses are hard and do not bend easy.  If done in the sun on a hot day they do flex a little better.
My old Nautique had one exhaust rot out.   I bought some 3" stainless exhaust pipe and used it to fill the muffler locations.   I was much younger then but really liked the powerful sound the exhaust had after that.   Today I think I would look for quiet mufflers as quiet is much more important as I get older.   Some of the new soft wall exhaust tubes are very easy to work with, they are coast guard approved.  I have no idea how long they may last.  Might be worth considering switching to the easy soft wall tube.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2023 at 9:05pm
I think with the bends involved between the riser and the muffler inlet, he'll be stuck with the wire reinforced stuff, the soft wall will kink
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2023 at 8:01am
I find that a pot of boiling water and some dish soap, (and i do mean boiling) helps a lot when plumbing in boats.I usually use an electric griddle in the shop and dip the ends of the hose in boiling water for a few minutes and they get much easier to work with. especially pvc hoses.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
andrewmarani View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andrewmarani Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2023 at 8:00am
I had replaced my exhaust hoses probably 10 years ago.  When I started the stringer replacement project last fall, I had to cut them off.  Couldn't break them loose no matter how many muscles I strained.

Couldn't figure out from your post if you needed new mufflers.  Skidim selection here;

https://skidim.com/drivetrain/mufflers-silencers.html 

this one has a 45 degree bend built in and would avoid some of the pain of installing the exhaust hose.  thinking about using it in my 1986 ski nautique when I put it back together.  Look up Centek Marine and part # 1000216.

Builder
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic