Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Plug water intake for in water storage

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kwas911 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwas911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plug water intake for in water storage
    Posted: October-03-2023 at 5:36pm
I have a '56 atom skier, all wooden.  Each year it is in dry storage from Labor Day to Memorial Day.  When we put it back in each year, it leaks for a bit...until the wood fully swells.  I was thinking of getting a lift on our dock, winterizing it and dropping it back into the water on the lift so it can sit in the water all winter (lake never freezes).  Only problem is I need to seal/plug the water intake.  Is there an easy way to do that?
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2023 at 12:06pm
Well first, why would you need to seal the water intake?  No way water can rise in the intake above the lake water level, not like water will flow into the engine.  And if you are worried about the water in the intake freezing, it won't because of the lake water temps.

Second, I'd stay with the dry storage.  How long does it take to swell?  The lapstrake Thompson we had years ago took a few days, maybe would still weep 4-5 days later, but wasn't a big deal.  I'd rather deal with that than have a boat sitting in the water for 9 months. 
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic