Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need some help with a 351

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Live2fish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Live2fish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some help with a 351
    Posted: March-01-2024 at 12:01am
Hi guys new here, just purchased a 23 sea nautique Pilothouse.

Engine shows 6hrs and seller stated it had a fresh motor in it.

Engine fired up easily and idled great but when we got it In the water it goes up to about 2k rpm and then dies. If you chop the throttle back to idle it will catch itself before dying and idles around 600rpm.

I’m unfamiliar with non fuel injected engines. Any pointers on where to start?

Fuel system does have a primer bulb like an outboard and pre start I primed that until hard engine starts quickly but after shutting it off that bulb is pretty flat, is that normal? Or could the fuel diaphragm pump (if there is one) be bad?

Thanks in advance
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2024 at 11:17am
I think you may be on the right path with chasing the fuel issue.  I have never needed a priming pump on the fuel lines on my boats,  Maybe the old owner was trying to fix a problem and later sold it to you?
If it was mine I would supply an outside source of fuel to the fuel pump and fire it up to see if the problem is just a restriction in the fuel line from your tank.  A gallon gas can with a hose to the fuel pump could supply fuel for this test.
Could be the fuel pump is failing or the supply line is clogged at some poin.t
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic