Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water Pump Bolt Help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Otto Throttle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water Pump Bolt Help
    Posted: May-02-2024 at 6:23pm
Today when I was rebuilding my water pump on my 1999 Nautique, 1 of the 3 bolts broke that holds the housing together. Does anybody have any idea where to get a replacement bolt, what type of bolt, and what is the proper torque would be on those? It figures the last big project prior to launching would be the issue! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Otto
Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2024 at 7:21pm
By the way, the bolt has the markings SBY on the head of the bolt. I know sometimes there are codes on there for hardness and strength. Thanks again.

Otto
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2024 at 8:21pm
Otto. here's a quote from you recently
QUOTE=Otto Throttle]We also like original parts![/QUOTE]

So knowing that here's the PCM part number for that bolt ........R175043 They call it a 1/4-20 X 5/8  HHCS SS bolt. That's just fancy talk to say it's a hex head cap screw made of stainless steel

But if you want the Sherwood part number since they built the pump, it's 12857......they just call it a screw but it's listed as 1/4-20 X7/8 Hex head Stainless steel cap screw

So what's a poor original parts liking guy to do...............average the 2 numbers and go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4-20 X 3/4 stainless steel cap screw  Wink

It fits perfectly with the lockwasher that should be under the head. Not too long, not too short.

The Sherwood 7/8 works just fine, but the PCM 5/8 long screw has minimal thread engagement and I'd stay away from that length.

Not wanting to do all the work for you, you can look up the torque value for a 1/4-20 SS cap screw, it's probably less than you think and less than you used to break the one you have 

Most people would replace all 3

PS......how's that red check engine light?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2024 at 8:41pm
That was installed and went fairly smoothly. I was able just to use a 1 inch box wrench for the installation. A little wrap of Teflon tape made to go very easily. I also replace the thermostat, it was ugly and if you want, I can send you a picture of it!

! I appreciate the help on the screw. I will be able to stop by a hardware store hopefully on my way home and they will have such a beast! That’s a good idea to replace all three…. I removed the pump from the boat and took it downstairs and rebuilt it on the bench, everything was going good until that last round of tightening.

Maybe if I ask with a please, you can give me that torque value. One thing that I do need to ask you is that I put a little anti-on all the threads of things that I am putting back together, I know from setting up target optics That sometimes there are two values for torquing, one with a thread sealant, and the other without. Does this come to with this type of maintenance? If you PM, me your email address, I will send you the pictures.

Hopefully, I can get the bolts tomorrow and have a test run of the engine Saturday or Sunday depending on the weather here in Cleveland.

Thank you very much. I am going to print out your email right now, and put it with my old bolts to take to the store!

Otto

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2024 at 8:42pm
And yes, by the way, that’s the first thing I thought of was where in the heck am I going to get an original bolt! I get it it’s a sickness, but it’s all I got!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2024 at 10:03pm
You knew I'd tell ya if you asked Wink

Like you said, there are variables like the kind of SS, clean and dry or lubed up etc, but about 6 to 6.5 ft lbs or about 72 to 78 inch pounds. So not very much at all.

I'll send a PM in the AM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2024 at 8:45am
Hey Keno… I sent you the email. Did you get the pics, also is 6 pounds really what you recommend I went out and bought a torque wrench that went that low! Found the bolts as you recommended at the local Ace Hardware store!
Otto
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2024 at 6:09pm
6 to 6.5 pounds is good by most torque charts.......really.

I got your pictures, thought I'd post the most interesting one.

Mostly because of that finely manicured thumbnail, It's kinda a cleaner, longer version of mine. Wink

My finely bitten one holding a neutral safety switch

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2024 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by Otto Throttle Otto Throttle wrote:

Hey Keno… I sent you the email. Did you get the pics, also is 6 pounds really what you recommend I went out and bought a torque wrench that went that low! Found the bolts as you recommended at the local Ace Hardware store!

You may be one of the first people to use a torque wrench on those bolts!  Nothing wrong with being precise.  In general, as fasteners get smaller people tend to over-tighten them. 
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Otto Throttle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2024 at 12:48pm
Well I have started go back to the gym!!! Lol! I used a box wrench instead of the ratchet. I usually put the driver in the palm of my hand so as not to put too much torque on it! The anti seize made it too easy!!! The forums saved me from myself again!!!! Thank you all!
Otto
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic