Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Teak Oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Teak Oil
    Posted: June-24-2024 at 3:32pm

After a week on the water, the teak swim platform looked terrible. I knew it was due to be resealed but due to an incredible physically year for me, I figure it could make it through this summer. I was wrong, the sun shone areas of where the oil has worn off the platform.

After spending this past weekend washing her down to get all the lake scum off the hull and cleaning the inside, decided to tackle the platform. But I was out of teak oil that I bought a long time ago when I brought the boat.  Surprise how long it has lasted.

So, I started thinking I could make my own formula of teak oil. I figure I would have most if not all the ingredients on hand since I do wood working and small restoration projects. Did some researching on the internet and came across many versions of what others have done. Basically, it’s to your preference of what proportion you want to use. I don’t want to get into the proportions for there are many variations people has used to make their version.  

So, this week I’ll be making my own version, testing and then applying to the swim platform. Of course, I’ll be measuring the proportions out so I can tweak it as I go. 

LooseScrew22 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LooseScrew22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2024 at 7:59pm
i bought some, wish i had mixed my own... the label indicates its a blend of tung oil and linseed oil

Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2024 at 8:49pm
I know people who have used ATF on teak…
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2024 at 9:18am

Yes, you could use a combination of Linseed and or Tung oil. Pure Tung oil is preferred but it’s expensive. You also will be needing some type of petroleum distillate to thin it out and to help dry out quicker. Adding varnish is also use for added protection.

LennyBoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-25-2024 at 10:59am
Very curious about what you come up with as I'm about to tackle our swim platform soon!
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2024 at 12:17pm

I have my test samples finished which was back in early August.  Just got busy around here. So, I done four different types of mixes of Linseed Oil, Tung Oil, Turpentine, and Marine Varnish.

As you can tell from the picture, the test was done on a piece of walnut. I did it on walnut on order to see the grain pattern. All four samples came out pretty close to each other. The only different is its either a flat to a satin finish. All four samples have 4 coats put on.

Number One is just Linseed Oil.  It dried out being a sheen/flat and it does looks nice. The only drawback on this finish is how long it takes to dry out. As of today, it is still tacky some.

Number two is a one to one mix of Linseed oil and Tung oil.  It too is a nice finish when it dries out. Again, it took a while to dry. And it is still a little tacky but not as bad as number one. Even though the can of Tung Oil doesn’t say it’s pure Tung Oil, I’m assuming there is some petroleum distillates in it.

Number three is a one to one mix of Linseed Oil and Tung Oil with one half Turpentine.  This finish came out really good. It is not tacky as the other two. The sample dry a flat like finish.

Number four is a one to one Linseed Oil and Tung Oil. With one half Turpentine and Marine Varnish. It’s completely dried. Has a satin finish. 

As you can tell all finishes came out with the same natural color. The only different one and two did not completely dried out as to thee and four.  Number four has the varnish in it so it did completely dry out in no time. Number three was still a little tacky but if I increase the turpentine I believe it would have completely dried out.

So, my choice in this testing, I’m going with number three. Reason is it does not feel slick as the others. One and two, even though they are still tacky, they may be Ok and safe to walk on when wet.  Number four I’m questioning if varnish should be put on a swim platform.  Looks really good but once the varnish breaks down the entire broad would have to be sanded down and reapply. 

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2024 at 12:24pm
Why is walnut an acceptable alternative to teak when trying to evaluate the drying and finish qualities … on teak?

Seems like a poorly designed experiment unless walnut and teak are closely related. Or I’m missing something.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2024 at 9:15pm
 I like number three the best.
Feels like I am hanging 10 but in reality - probably hanging 6.
pjsmoreno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjsmoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2024 at 7:40am

Good question for I thought about that too until I start checking prices for a piece of teak. But both species, Teak and Walnut or any other hardwood trees, we would still have the same results. So, I could have done this on white oak, cherry or ash for I do have that on hand but I went with Walnut. I was going after showing the grain pattern to show the oil finish when dry and I could have use white oak for it has good grain patterns also. All I could say is the piece of Walnut was on my work bench when I made that decision.  Wouldn’t make any different of what to use for you will still have the same final finish results. All oil base finish only penetrates just the surface unless you do the end grain and even then, that’s minimal.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2024 at 8:11am
I’m no wood worker, but I would think the natural oils of teak (which makes it a good selection for a platform in the first place) could impact how the applied oils cure and look. But again, I’m no wood worker.

If you want to replicate the trial on teak, I probably have some scrap. Pm me your address.
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2024 at 10:12am
I must be lazy, but I've always had great results using Star Brite 2-part cleaner restorer. Amazing stuff.

Back when I was a semi-serious course skier, we didn't oil the platform fearing what it might do to our ski's 'skiability'.....what a bunch of knobs!
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2024 at 11:18am
I’ll bet Pete is pinging off the walls right now.🤣🤣
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2024 at 2:06pm
My money goes on Keno and him already putting the second coat on for the new more exact experiment!!  All done with teak wood and the oils that were "just laying around on a shelf in the barn"!!!  WinkLOL
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2024 at 4:07pm
Having owned Teak swim decks since 1990 and liking them looking good I have used Teak Oil and it looks great.  When I ran out and my deck was looking shabby I grabbed what I had available.  Olive Oil.  Rubbed in with 2 or 3 coats the Deck looks great.  Lasts fairly well is fast and easy to rub on.  Heck, you could drink it if you wish so the fish will be happy.   Granted, my boat is only in the water maybe 10 days a year so you guys that have boats in the water much more might need something more durable.  Last season I went back to Teak oil after reading posts on here, did not notice any improvement in how long it lasted.   
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2024 at 7:48pm
I use Star Brite Teak Oil with great results.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2024 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

My money goes on Keno and him already putting the second coat on for the new more exact experiment!!  All done with teak wood and the oils that were "just laying around on a shelf in the barn"!!!  WinkLOL

You got that right..............Real original teak, but we're doing a Rhino Liner vs.Line-X comparison, we're having quite a "discussion" about the finer points of each right now. Wink

next we're finish up some log term durability testing on a Trex platform,,,,,,we don't need no stinkin' oil.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic