NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question for the 454 experts - Thrust Plate

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LennyBoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question for the 454 experts - Thrust Plate
    Posted: June-26-2024 at 5:53am
Hi All,
Our GEN IV 454 is in the process of being rebuild and we have a question about the thrust plate to keep the camshaft in its place.

I did some research online and I think the GEN IV (flat tappet) does not need a thrust plate. the GEN V (with roller cams) needs a thrust plate. Both generation blocks have the mounting holes for the thrust plate, but the plate wont fit the Gen IV camshaft.

(We have a GEN IV block & cam and a GEN V block & cam. The thrust plate from the V somehow found its way into the parts of the IV, which made for a very confusing talk on the phone with the machinist trying to figure out why parts the parts didn't fit).

My Machinist thinks it would be better to modify the thrust plate so it would fit the GEN IV camshaft to keep it centered. as this is the way its done on the small block and the later generations 454.

So the question is as follows: Is this a good idea or not? I don't see any clearance issues and I think it wouldn't hurt to add it?

To be clear this is the part I'm talking about (shown on a Gen V cam):

Picture of the GEN IV block with cam installed and the picture showing the plate with a to small diameter hole, not fitting the cam:

Cheers,
Lenny
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2024 at 3:54pm
With a flat tappet camshaft no thrust plate is needed.  For a roller cam you certainly have to have a thrust plate.

With a flat tappet cam your distributor gear and angle of the cam lobe where it contacts the lifters keeps it from walking forward.
LennyBoat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LennyBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2024 at 4:12am
Thank you for the information.
Would adding the washer (after enlarging the internal diameter) help anything or rather add a failure point?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2024 at 1:47pm
The older cams do not have a step for the washer on the face and no washer should be used.  If your non roller cam is stepped you better check with the cam manufacturer or your engine builder.   

Roller cams would have the step on the front and the cam plate would be used.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic