Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

It was bound to happen...the dark side...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It was bound to happen...the dark side...
    Posted: June-27-2024 at 2:35pm
Well, it finally happened. Just got a check-in from my son who is at sleep-away camp on Bantam Lake. He JUST finished wake boarding...yep, I said it. And he was super pumped that: 1. he got up on the first try, and 2. he was jumping the wake. Wants me to get a wake board before he gets home in two weeks ;-)

Now, before anyone thinks I'm chopping up the boat to install a tower, and sends out a hit squad, be aware that is not going to happen. Hell, I didn't even drill holes to mount my Bimini. Fortunately this last boat I bought came with a brand new fly high pole and it's been collecting dust in the basement for the last two years. I'm glad I kept it!

Recommendations on a board for a 90+ pound 12 year old?

Anyone need a barefoot boom? Cry
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2024 at 3:32pm
I have 2 boys, so many years back I had to get a Fly High Pole and a rack (from Mike Siepel) to hold the boards since they take up so much room in my boat.  Can't recommend a board type or brand, the kids chose their own.   I will state that once the boards were on the boat it usually involved taking out 4 or 5 kids at once.  In those days the skiers would go out early and hit the good water then later we would take out the kids for the board runs.  I had to institute a 3 falls and out policy because they kept trying to show the latest and greatest trick and fall every 100 yards.   The 3 falls and out policy helped me burn less fuel and taught them to stay on the board or land their tricks without falling.  I have boarded many times, usually when the kids pestered me saying I could not do it, but still do not enjoy it and NEVER choose to board over skiing.   BTW:  my son just turned 40. so this advice is now 25 years old hope it still applies.  The Grand Kids are now in training.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2024 at 4:04pm
Good stuff Mark. I'll see how this goes. And if it's a trend with the boy and his buddies, I might get a rack for the pole. I like having the open bow and want to keep it that way, as opposed to packed with gear.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2024 at 4:28pm
Mark:

I’ve got a board rack for a fly high pole.  Give me a shout next time y’all fly into SLC.  I’ll make you a helluva deal on it.  You also need to try my new 206 Ski…

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2024 at 5:34pm
damn ... that title made me think I was going to see the word "surfing".  Wakeboarding is still a sport.  It is not the darkside.  Even at my age my signature wakeboard run is something few on the lake can do.  
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2024 at 5:59pm
Thanks JQ, I still have the wakeboard Rack in the garage.  Have not used it in a while.   I bet you are loving the 206, have you used it much yet?   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2024 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Thanks JQ.  I bet you are loving the 206, have you used it much yet?   

Really love the new boat.  The ZR6 is sweeeeet.  Love the extra room...particularly for the grand-kiddos.  The tower and trunk provide storage that I never had on the 196.  The 206 wake at 15 off thru 28 off is not quite as good as with my old 196 "bubble-but" TSC1.  However, at short-line, the wakes feel identical.  At my age, I like to ski at 32 to 38 off.  At that short length, the wakes are great and I don't carry monster speed.  Note.....this is for free-skiing.  If I'm in the course, I usually stay at 15 off and maybe 22 off if I'm feeling jiggy.  My old 196 had the 3-Event Star Gazer PP and I really liked it.  The new Team Red has the paddle-wheel Wakeboard version.  Don't much care for it.  I think I'll upgrade to Star Gazer as a fall project.  

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2024 at 11:54pm
Glad you are loving it, I ski at 15 off now and no longer have course access so all for fun when I can get out.  32 and 38 off, wow, I have not played with that in 20 years.  Good for you.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 12:11am
Mark:

This might seem counterintuitive, but try 32 or 35 off.  You’ll be surprised how much fun it is.  Wider turns with less slack.  Wake crossing speed is slower.  Wake is non existent.  Have a go….

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 2:57pm
Perfect JQ, I'll keep my eye out for a trip. Can't wait to see the 206! So glad it's working out well. And yes, you cannot beat the OB for space!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic