NautiqueParts.com2025 Calendar Photos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1961 Evinrude Lark 3 no start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1961 Evinrude Lark 3 no start
    Posted: July-11-2024 at 8:42am
Last week it was running just fine and now it is not.  There is spark so I assume it must be fuel related.  Does anyone know how the fuel pump actually gets it power to pump fuel?  Is looks like it is vacuum?   Plugs are not wet with fuel.  I gave it a shot of ether and not a even a pop.  Its a magneto system and I was wondering if the timing could have slipped?  Any thoughts are appreciated.  
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2024 at 9:05am
Hey

Aren't you the same guy that was looking for forklift engine info once here on CCF? 

At least this time you're asking about an engine hanging off the back of a boat.

You're not on vacation in Mexico trying to fix an outboard ski boat are ya?  Wink

Click on the link below that'll get you some parts diagrams etc

I'd say it's vacuum operated.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2024 at 12:36pm
I was hoping you might chime in!  Thanks and I am probably not the right guy for this job but I am trying to get the old Chetak on the water to pull me skiing before summer is over.  If we get it fixed I will sure post some pictures.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2024 at 6:05pm
When we were kids we skied behind an old fishing boat, maybe 16’ with an Evenrude 35 HP.   Had to drag forever to get up on 2 skis,  once up to speed we could drop one ski but if we cut hard the boat would slow way down.  Fun TImes.   Then my brother upgraded to a 13’9” Javelin with a 75 HP Evenrude hanging on the back.   Had to drag even further to get up but now on one ski.  Once up that one had the power to pull any speed you wished.   The old engines were Huge and Heavy but we were skiing!   

I do remember we had to pump the lines full of fuel every time we changed the gas tank or the boat would not start.   The old rubber hand pump ball in the fuel line by the tank.   

If they do not pop on ether you are missing one of the basics.  Air, Compression, Fuel, Spark, .  Ether is very easy to ignite.   2 stroke engines pull fuel in past Reed Valves?   Maybe they are stuck closed?   This engine is more than one cylinder if you intend to ski behind it so it is odd that no cylinders would be getting fuel, compression or spark?  Sounds like nothing is getting pulled past your carburetor for all cylinders to be dead at once.   Curious what you find in this engine.
Maybe you just need to paint Ski Nautique on the sides and it will fire up?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2024 at 8:07am
New priming ball that has been verified and actually works.  Spark on both plugs and they are never wet.  The reed valve idea is plausible and something I will try to check.  Any idea where to look?  Past the carb I assume?
It is a two cylinder.  We had four guys riding a few weeks ago and it went 26 according to my pone app.  Much speedier than my uncles boat that we used to ski behind.  That of course was 45 years ago and 100 lbs ago!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2024 at 8:17am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2024 at 8:19am
One the way to the boat ramp a few weeks ago.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2024 at 9:43am
Uh Bill, ......most people would put the boat on a trailer, not just drag it down the driveway You should at least tilt the motor upWink

I also noticed the porta potty and the backup porta potty in the picture.

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2024 at 10:26am
Our '61 40 HP had the key switch module that attached to the side of the motor with a thumb screw.  That failed at some point, kept it from starting.  If you have spark I can't see how that could be the problem, but might be worth taking that connector off and pull starting a few times, manual choke on, to see if you can get any fuel going.

Another more likely guess is you might find a vacuum hose under the cowl that is rotted and leaking.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2024 at 10:27am
BTW I absolutely love that you are getting that boat back on the water to ski!!!  We don't have a boat to go with the 40 any more, but it's in the cellar waiting for that day.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2024 at 11:01am
Keno--it is on a trailer!  HOA requires porta potties when building or remodeling.  

David--pull start?  Not when there is electric start!Wink  No module on this one that I know of.  If you happen to be driving through Nebraska soon throw your 40 hp in and drop it off so we can both ski the Chetak.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2024 at 12:03pm
I don't see no stinkin' trailer, but I have been known to mistake a Pinto for a cow before Wink
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2024 at 12:05pm
I used to have to pull start our 40 at times.  A hard pull, but could do it even in my mid teens.  There were times when either there were battery problems or electric choke issues and I'd disconnect the cable and pull it, usually could start it easier than cranking and flooding it with the key.

It was on a Thompson 16' lapstrake, we would drag and drag to get up.  Later I had it on a 14' Mirrocraft aluminum, that light little boat would get up and go with the 40, was really fun.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2024 at 8:49am
As promised. Pictures of me skiing behind the Chetak. Turns out we got the motor to run again. The keyway on the flywheel spun and the result was spark but at the wrong time! Replaced that key and fired right up. Made several laps around the lake. There is more to the story however. We had a rescue boat ready and when the Chetak quit running for the day and wouldn’t start again we tied the rescue boat to the chetak and then me being the end of the train. So I sorta did ski behind it.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2024 at 11:37am
While that looks like fun I will share a warning.   Do not Tow at speed.   My little brother was blinded when he was only 10 years old, while sitting in the back of a boat and looking back at the boat being towed, the tow rope snapped, it cracked like a whip and hit him in the face.  Took out both eyes and the bridge of his nose.  This was 40 years ago now.  He is fine but has been blind since that day.   

Towing can certainly be done safely as long as speed is not inolved.   

I carry a cotton rope for towing.   It was a simple ski rope that snapped and hurt my brother.
We have seen pro skiers pull on the rope so hard that when they lose it you sometimes see the handle pop all the way back into the boat.   One observer I knew of had his front teeth knocked out because of this.   Some boats used protective nets behind the driver to avoid this.   A towed boat can be more drag than a skier and ropes can snap.

Lesson learned the hard way.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2024 at 12:58pm
We did use a very heavy rope but will admit we did not think of that scenario. Heat of the moment having fun clouded judgement for sure in this case.  I would imagine we were going about 20 mph so that was a possibility.   
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2024 at 4:05pm
Any idea what made the motor quit after it was running OK?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2024 at 6:22pm
Not yet.  that will be this weeks project.  Seems electrical at this point as the key switch does nothing, but shorting the solenoid will crank the motor.  It was very hot and humid for the keyway fix and after the ski session we sat down and had a few beers, giggled like small children for somewhat accomplishing the goal, and did not feel like investigating any further.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic