Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help. What could it be?!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Justinbones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justinbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help. What could it be?!
    Posted: July-21-2024 at 2:15am
Hey there,

Long time user of the forum, finally time I’m here with my own problem to be solved. Thank you all in advance for your help, and for the years and years of learning about my machine you all have provided.

Ok, so. Here is the break down: boat is a 1991 ski Nautique 351w. Brand new engine as of 5 hours. New SKIDIM protect conversion kit, new fuel pump, new battery, new starter.

The second time out with the boat with the new distributor in, the boat ran better than it ever has, was beaming from ear to ear, even at break in RPMs. Anyway I’m about 6 miles from my cabin, the wind picks up, I head back home with family. The engine begins to get very sluggish, I keep on the throttle as I’m thinking it’s a distributor issue, as I had been tweaking it to get it dialed - I assumed it was that. So kept going, by the time I’m at the dock, the engine is seriously sputtering, and had died a few times with a VERY hard start.

I open it up, start it up, and see it’s been flooding out of the J tube massively. I pulled the plugs let it air out. During this time I’m also finding it really has a hard time starting. Obviously.

Week later, new carb rebuild. I turn the engine but it won’t turn over “well” feels like a lot of pressure, or that the battery is dead, and indeed the battery is being pulled very hard and the ground wire at the battery is very hot.. I then go ahead and buy a new starter, as I assume that the solenoid is working as it’s giving power to the starter.. new starter in, but now cranks the engine over a few times ( with a new fully charged battery only) but engine wont start up as it only gets a few revolutions before it feels like the battery is dead, it pulls from 12V down to 10 very quickly on the gage.   So, I check the power coming from the relay to the starter ( it’s a one wire configuration) and when I turn the key, the starter is only getting 6.5V max.. the other thing that is happening is that the relay output is showing 12.3V from the output ( to starter) when checking the volt reader touching the engine as ground….   So.. with all this back story. And being that I’m on a northen BC lake and all parts from the USA take weeks and cost a lot to ship - what do my symptoms tell a trained ear/eye?    

Another important note is the the engine cranks over fine with no spark plugs, manually it cranks fine, and same with running the starter, when plugs are in, it manually cranks with some force, I’d say 60lbs of force or so.    

Anyways, log back story, but I’m really hoping I did not destroy my new engine. Anything I should test? Could it be the solenoid “welded” as I’ve heard can happen.

Thanks again.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2024 at 7:23am
You say that the relay output going to the starter is 12.3 volts and you also say that only 6.5 of those volts are making it to the starter

Those statements don't seem to jive with each other unless that single wire going to your starter is in really bad shape.

I've never been good at estimating 60 or so ft lbs. but turning the engine over by hand with the plugs in would be in that general range.

What was your timing set at?

Hopefully somewhere around 10 BTDC at idle advancing up to a little over 30 at higher RPMs like 3500 or so.

If your initial timing is too far advanced, it can make for a real tough start like you're experiencing (slow crank with the starter drawing lots of battery power)

You should be able to check the timing cranking it over with the plugs out and a timing light on the #1 plug wire. #1 plug could be installed or grounded to the block while you're doing this.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justinbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2024 at 11:36am
Thanks so much for the reply. I am going to check again to see what the relay is getting while I’m cranking it over. I think it’s odd that it’s only getting 6v to the starter, that’s not good right? Here is a video so you can see/hear what’s going on.   The timing is pretty well to spec, but i will go ahead and pull the plugs and re-set up the distributor, i had no idea it could cause high battery draw. Here is the video. Let me know what you thing https://youtube.com/shorts/zsmdVs_9w1I?si=iumCVlzuEX4UWvYH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justinbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2024 at 4:18pm
I went ahead and pulled plugs found TDC and set my timing at TDC correctly - as it was when it was running like a top. Still same issue, get a few turns when battery has got juice, but after a few just stops turning over and struggles. ( as per the video)
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2024 at 9:54am
Keep in mind a DC motor is a dead short at 0rpm

DId you replace the hot battery cable?

and tell us more about this battery
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
AlfaDon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlfaDon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2024 at 12:07pm
You could try doubling up the hot cable to see if it makes any difference.  And always check for good ground.  What about the panel mounted starter solenoid?  Those are common failure items 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justinbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2024 at 7:42pm
Great idea (s) thanks for the help here! I have ordered a new Solonoid/relay this week and new key / switch ignition. Once I am back to the boat, I plan to install that.

The battery/batteries are both new, marine batteries that i have been using to test. Both worked well when the boat was running well. I don’t have the specs on hand but can add them

Great idea on running another battery cable, and ground. Any idea what gage the wire is and length by any chance ( happy to cut longer ) I will build two new wires this week to go test.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2024 at 8:27am
New wrong battery or new correct battery?

If it says marine, better chance its still wrong battery.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justinbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2024 at 7:52pm
That’s interesting. What exact battery should I be running? So much almost too much information. Willing to buy a new one this weekend.

Update here. Just put a new Solonoid from SKIDIM and nothing. Sounded like it almost wanted to go. The killed the battery as usual, I’m only getting 5V at the starter.

I have all new solid core battery wiring and terminals. So that’s the next step.

Very interested in the correct battery selection.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2024 at 7:00am
Before you get too excited thinking that a battery that worked just fine before your problem happened, is now your problem......how about a picture of your batteriy or a link to the battery info?

Plenty of batteries out there labeled "marine" that work just fine in your application.

You said earlier that you were gonna check again to see why you have 12.3 volts at the relay output and 6.5 making it to the starter........so did you figure that out?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justinbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2024 at 2:55pm
Yes. This is the battery https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-nautilus-group-size-24-starting-battery-675-mca-0102493p.0102493.html

So great question. It’s getting 12.6 to relay when ignition is on. Just now I tested and the engine is trying to start, but as it’s cranking over and over the volts are dropping, they dropped in a few seconds to 9, then a few more revolutions and down to 5.5-6. It’s now sitting 12.4 with the ignition on, and only cranks to 6 when I just tried for the second time.

Engine pulling too much of of the battery? Or ground? I’m about to install new 1/0 awg solid cables

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2024 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Justinbones Justinbones wrote:

Yes. This is the battery https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-nautilus-group-size-24-starting-battery-675-mca-0102493p.0102493.html

There is nothing wrong at all with using that battery in the link Wink

Unless they sold you a bum battery.

Silly question maybe, but are you priming the engine before turning the key?  Either with a couple squirts of gas down the primary throttle bores or with the bowls full, pumping the gas 2 or 3 times and watching gas squirt into the primary bores

It should fire up quickly (before you drag down the battery voltage too much)and assuming the fuel pump is pumping, it'll stay running, Might have to repeat if it doesn't stay running.

By your numbers, the battery seems to recover after you let go of the key, so it seems like you have a huge current draw from the starter, either because the new starter is bad or it's working way too hard trying to start the engine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justinbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2024 at 4:49pm
Thanks for all the help. I installed a new ground wire(s) and ignition switch. And seem the engine is doing the same thing.

Keno -I’m starting to think that you may be correct in thinking that it’s just drawing too hard, which makes me think it’s likely that I did some sort of damage to this brand new engine when it flooded. Two starters doing the same thing, two relays, and it all happened after the flooding.

Guess it’s going back to the engine shop.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2024 at 7:57pm
Hate to say it, but I'm beginning to think I may be correct too Wink

With multiple batteries also and new cables installed, along with the other stuff you mentioned, it seems like a trip to the engine shop would at least get some more eyes on it.

Good luck and don't forget to update this at some point.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2024 at 8:09am
I think a clever solution has been found for Justin's problem................sell the boat as is Wink

Link to PN where someone is asking questions about his for sale ad.

Bet ya can find it on FB marketplace, Squamish BC for 4000 Canadian bucks or so.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2024 at 7:52am

Carnac is getting this vision that Justin bought himself a Mastercraft as part of his solution. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic