Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 Ski Nautique - Coil / Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jmcl197 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmcl197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 Ski Nautique - Coil / Distributor
    Posted: July-23-2024 at 4:20pm
I have a 1979 Ski Nautique and have gotten it running after it sitting for over 12 years from prior owner.   Looking for recommendations on 2 things.... First, is I am burning through coils after about 3 hours of run time.   Thinking about obtaining epoxy (vs oil filled).  Thoughts or ideas?   And second, I have original dist'r with pertronix electronic ignition that prior owner replaced points with at some point. It appears that I have right hand rotation (prop turns clockwise) and thus would need distributor gears accordingly.   I replaced spark plugs but need to replace original spark plug wires (I traced them back to production in Quarter 1 of 1979).  Thinking that if I upgraded coil and distributor along with plug wires I might be addressing the issues.   Any input/thoughts/ideas welcome and appreciated.   Thank you! 
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2024 at 5:36pm
Davis Unified Ignition (DUI) makes a very nice HEI distributor (built-in coil).  I put one in my 1994 and it performed very well.  Assuming that your 1979 has a reverse-rotation 351 SBF, then you would need model number M35820RRRD.  The last 2 letters (RD) mean red cap.  As you know...red makes you go faster.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
jmcl197 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmcl197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2024 at 7:45am
Thanks so much!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2024 at 8:07am
A curious person would wonder how you figure that you're burning up a new coil or if maybe yhe problem is something else?

Link to your other thread below

link

I'm a curious person Wink
jmcl197 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmcl197 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2024 at 9:02am
Could be something else for sure.   After a cruise on the lake for its first run in 12 years....ran fine and then wouldn't start....coil seemed excessively hot.  Wouldn't even begin to start thereafter even after sitting/cooling down...ran multi meter and 0 reading.  Replaced the coil, (thank you for the part #), fired right up.  Cruised out a 2nd time and ran fine for 2 - 3 hours out on the lake.   Then same thing....ran, quit and wouldn't restart.....again, even after sitting/cooling.   Measured that one and again 0 reading.   Coil is getting the V's it needs so I know that's not a contributor.   Any other troubleshooting suggestions are welcome.   

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2024 at 5:40pm
Coils normally do not fail, not uncommon to last 20 years or more.  Have you done a voltage check while running to see how many volts are reaching your coil?  They usually do not get hot but sitting on the intake manifold where the temp is 140* it will be at least 140* after running.   
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2024 at 6:22am
The coil should read about 1.5 ohms on the primary side and around 8000 ohms on the secondary side if it's good.

I kinda think that before I went out and spent around 700 plus bucks (depending on where you buy it) on a DUI distributor and new wires to fit it, I might return the coil for another one and try again 

Having a boat with the same distributor and a Pertronix module that has about 13 volts going to it when running, using one of the coils mentioned in the other thread, it's been reliable for lots of years and running hours.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2024 at 2:14pm
Couple notes from coil manufacturer.  Maybe KenO can translate into common language for us to understand?   Does the Coil body need to be grounded though the coil mount?

Lucas coils. The Secondary winding is in series with the Primary. Why? This improves the spark at the plug. The 300 volts induced in the Primary at the contact break being added to the Secondary voltage. This effect is known as auto transformer action. Now, please take note. A standard Lucas wet (oil filled) coil is 2.7 ohms. Work on 3 ohms, but check current. On 12V you are looking for 4 AMPS. This is a standard coil without an external resistance. Remember that Lucas coils are wound for positive ground which is negative spark. Don't try running negative earth. Yes it will work for a while, but you must have a negative earth wound coil.

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2024 at 6:24am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Does the Coil body need to be grounded though the coil mount?

No need to ground the body.

I think the Lucas info should just be left with Lucas  Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic