Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Got it from my father-in-law...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gedds1993 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gedds1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got it from my father-in-law...
    Posted: Yesterday at 9:05pm
So I bought a boat from my father in law. A little history, bought the fiberglass hull in 1973 from a company in Virginia that effectively took a 20' Southwind hull, made a mold, tweaked it, and made boats from it. The hull is close to a 1/2" thick of glass, no filler. The father-in-law and his dad glassed in the stringers, floor, put a Volvo in it originally and drove it for years. It is a direct drive boat and as far as I understand is pretty much the same as the Southwind minus a different engine, propeller, and rudder LOL

Mechanically it has a 1965 GM 327 that was rebuild with 30 over factory in 1993. Has a marine intake manifold with a Rochester 2 barrel carb. Log style exhaust manifolds with a single port forward and two ports aft (maybe plugged mid riser on each). The engine feeds a 1:1 velvet drive which drives a 14" propeller (unsure of pitch but maybe somewhere around 14?).

I just finished installing a bracket I welded that holds the clamp for the cable steering and now (due to better positioning) the boat has a full 35 degree either side.

My question is in regards to the cooling system on this boat. Currently the boat is not a closed system, does have a transmission cooler, and does not have a thermostat or pressure relief.

When out on the water temperature goes from 140 degrees at idle (takes a while to get there, not so much when under load) to 180 degrees when rpms get around 2500 or higher for a bit. I am thinking a) the boat should get up to temp a little quicker than it does and b) it should swing like it does. 

The current cooling path is as follows (at least the best I can follow it without taking anything off).
Inlet -> pump -> transmission cooler -> bottom port on AFT end of the PORT exhaust manifold... (here is where things get iffy)

Top port on the AFT end of the PORT exhaust manifold goes over to the bottom port on the AFT end of the STBD exhaust manifold

Top port on the AFT end of the STBD exhaust manifold is tee'd to both ports on the FWD end of the engine block

PORT port on the intake manifold goes to the FWD port on the PORT exhaust manifold

STBD port on the intake manifold goes to the FWD port on the STBD exhaust manifold

See attached horrible drawing to maybe help make sense of all the words.Coolant Flow

If someone could help me understand this a bit better / instruct me of a way to route it better that'd be great. Also if I were to add a thermostat would an inline thermostat with a bypass be the best place to start? What would be the best way to configure the cooling for that?

Anyways thanks for the laughs and comments.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 7:45am
I'd probably look into getting a thermostat housing and thermostat and duplicating the setup on a PCM or Indmar or Mercruiser Chevy inboard.

Not knowing what you have for a raw water pump, circulating pump setup, I'd probably try duplicating the Indmar setup with a crank driven raw water pump.

Sine you posted a drawing, I figure you'd know how to post  a few pictures of the engine to show what you're working with for manifolds, pump(s) etc. Wink
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 8:20am
A few pictures of the boat would also be a nice addition.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic