Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new to me 2000 Ski Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new to me 2000 Ski Nautique
    Posted: September-30-2024 at 3:20pm
I just purchased a 2000 Ski Nautique with an upgraded 350 chevy motor and zero off.  I was looking at the engine trying to find block drains and couldn't find any.  On my 1989 2ohoh1 351 Ford there are four block drains.  I ski all year so for winterization I drain the rather than use antifreeze.  Anyone know if and where the block drains might be?  I am away from the boat but will post some photos when I get back.
Thanks,
Art

2000 Ski Nautique 1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2024 at 4:08pm
Hey Art. Nice upgrade. Looking forward to a pull behind it. Sorry we didn’t get together down here for a little bit of course action. I got out some, but not much due to some back issues that culminated in surgery about a month ago. But I will be as good as new next summer and we will get together here or there.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2024 at 5:25pm
In the picture below, the brass fitting is screwed into the block drain.

On the right side it's halfway between the front and back of the engine at the bottom of the block above the oil pan, a little ways in front of the starter like in the picture.

Same place on the left side, halfway between the front and back

Depending on what model you have, you might have plugs screwed in those holes or a knock sensor screwed in on one side and a plug in the other......or some variation on that , but whatever's in the holes, that's where the block drains are located. Wink
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-30-2024 at 10:39pm
or a knock sensor on both sides.. most of the three bolt DBW throttle bodies had two knock sensors in the block. the four bolt versions with the larger ecm only has one knock sensor and a brass plug on the other side of the block.. Reminder to not put any sealant on knock sensors or teff tape when you reinstall, there should be plenty patch lock on the threads for multiple winterizing..
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
audiodude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiodude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 8:19am
Thanks Keno and Jody, I will look for the plugs, I did see the knock sensors on one side.  So it's ok to remove the knock sensor to drain the engine?  Would a tee work so a petcock could be installed to drain the engine  so the sensor wouldn't have to be removed each time?

Larry sorry for the back problems but glad you are on the mend!  I look forward to getting together in the summer but if you ever feel like coming out this winter grab a dry suit and come on up!
Art
2000 Ski Nautique 1989 Correct Craft 2001

In the words of Milton Berle: "You can lead a man to Congress but you can't make him think"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Today at 2:01pm
I use a 1/4 inch tee fitting like this......1/4 inch male NPT with  2  1/4 inch female NPT

Then screw the knock sensor into the 90 degree hole and use a 1/4 NPT pipe plug (or the petcock you mentioned) at the end,

That way you can stick something straight up the drain hole if the hole or fitting gets plugged with sediment, rust etc.

Sometimes a wye fitting is used there, but it's harder to stick something up to do some unplugging.Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic