NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The future

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The future
    Posted: December-13-2006 at 4:17pm
check out any info you can find on IPS drives, I think in the near future the true inboard will be a thing of the past. these drive systems are outperforming anything of current. the thing about these drives is that they run iN "CLEAN" water and fuel economy is increased by as much as 30 percent. and the designs look like you can put the engine aft and the "dual" props are mid mount in the clean water.
I personally think within in ten years outdrives and inboard boats will be replaced with this type of drive system and they are at the beginning of the possibilities of this type of drive.. if interested punch in IPS marine drives and see what you think
"the things you own will start to own you"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 4:22pm
A few issues off the top of my head.

Hitting debri, lots of damage?
Wake/table
Frequent loading/unloading
$$$$$$$$$$
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 4:58pm
One major advantage to traditional inboards is simplicty. Another DD ski boat characteristic not afforded by the IPS a center-mounted engine.

I see the IPS really taking off in offshore applications but I think for inland boating you won't see the IPS used too often. I saw these units in person at the boat show last year. Great idea.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 5:00pm
Also, re: the clean water aspect, I don't think a strut and driveshaft really "dirty" the water too much. Certainly nothing like what's in front of an IO or outboard prop.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 5:30pm
I think once ma$$ed produced, as everything else they will be more cost effective and they are already replacing inboard applications. realistically you could put the engine forward or aft and along with the drive you could also put it forward and aft. and your getting straight propulsion instead of the traditional 9, 10 12 degree angle. which may or may not effect the wake if it does then maybe its time to redesign hulls. with the drive even mounted aft the props would be forward eliminating a pedicure. I am in no way saying these are going to replace them but i also thought at one time i would never be talking on a phone in my car
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2006 at 5:37pm
m3, you also must take into account the transmission on an inboard, these are self contained units like a bravo 3. with the mastercrafts at one time the transmission listed out (zf630v) at $5800.00 and now I can buy them all day long for $2800.00. I really believe this system is very simple, no u-joints for angle, and outperforms both drives systems combined, also with the drive mounted forward you are now pulling the boat instead of pushing it in which you know it is easier to pull a car with a rope than push it from the back and then it would eliminate a rudder because they can swivel 180degrees, imagine the manuverability. I think its on the drawing board already because the advantages outway the dis-advantages. as with cars they are defined into what thay are today and if compared with boats the boat is still in the Model A era
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 12:12pm
a couple other things to mention is that you can put a skeg in front of these drives for protection and you have 2 props spinning opposite of eachother which may eliminate torque twist and these things can turn on a dime usig propulsion to turn insted of a rudder which is much slower to respond...................just some thoughts.. I wanna but a hull and try one of these baby's
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

I think its on the drawing board already because the advantages outway the dis-advantages.

True, but not for the $$$ in a ski boat.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 12:38pm
Hollywood, i spoke to my friend who owns the local mastercrap dealer ship and in the last 30 days he sold 3 x-stars for 60k each.... there is definitly room in the price to put one of these drives on, I in no way would ever spend that kinda coin on a boat but there our guys out there that do, So I really dont think it is a matter of $$$$$$ these things are so simple and once ma$$ produced everything else to this point will be a thing of the past
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 2:13pm
Only time will tell, I suppse it's just my natural skepticism here telling me no way. Not much will change around here though.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 2:30pm
I cant believe what these boats are going for, i guess mastercraft has a 23 footer with 2 engines and goes for 105k, it seems like nowadays if your going into a new boat your going to have to drop a minimum of 35k. the thing is people are snagging them up and with the popularity of wakeboarding its supply and demand. these boats have really evovled in the last 10 years and they basically do the same thing....pull skiiers
DougsdevilCC View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougsdevilCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2006 at 8:41pm
any links to see what we are talking about?
CCcruiser
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-15-2006 at 7:21am
Doug, punch in IPS marine drives,
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2006 at 9:51am
This really is bugging the hell out of me, I have a spare duo-prop bravo 3, that I want to flip around and mount mid ship on a hull, for testing purposes Ill keep the rudder on the boat because I dont think I could get it to swivel, I would approach this first on the propulsion side then go after the turning, as with jet drives you use propulsion to turn and really could throw someone out of the boat. Then I think i would use a Borg Warner with a 90 degree gear box and possibly a short jack shaft.
just some thoughts, the wheels are turning......
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic