NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

problems with new floor, Help?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: problems with new floor, Help?
    Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:16am
Over the winter I had my boat floor replaced including the stringers. The boat is now more of a swimming pool than a boat. It is holding water everywhere and will not drain. I think they added extra wood going the width of the boat for extra support but this seems to be preventing the water from draining. Does anyone know the easiest, best solution to this problem. I don't feel comfortable taking it back to the COWBOYS who replaced the floor in the first place.
Lisa
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:40am
Lisa, What do you mean it's holding water everywhere? Are you saying you have pockets outside the stringers that have no drainage. Where's the water coming from? Is your floor removable or glassed in place? No Foam? You'll probably get a bunch of advice from here but in my experience if you're not satisfied with the work you had done you should start by talking to the guy that did it. If it was a professional shop just take it back and see what he says. They may have to pull the floor up to remedy it.
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:50am
The water that is in the boat is from rain over the winter it was covered but for some reason it still got wet. There seems to be a beam going the width of the boat under the seats that traps water in the hull. There is also water in the rear of the boat by the exhaust. I cannot tell if it is trapping water on both sides of the engine because it is fiberglassed in. Should all the extra support beams that have been added be drilled out so that the water draines through them or should they be removed? Thanks
Lisa
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 8:58am
your boat may also be angled incorrectly not allowing it to drain, (on the trailer) is the plug out? can you take some pics...
I would definitely figure out why your getting water
"the things you own will start to own you"
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 9:20am
I havent taken it off the trailer since last summer and it drained just fine before the new floor went in. The plug is out but the water in the hull wont drain back to the plug because of the beam that is going the width of the boat. I can take pics tonight and post them for you. Thanks,
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 10:13am
you may have to drill a drain hole in the beam for drainage, when you rebuild these floors you do take in to account drainage, it sounds like a minor problem, how is the rest of the work?
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 10:25am
I dont think that they took drainage into account with any off the beams. Do I need to pull the floor up and put holes in all the beams? How big should the holes be and how do I seal them so the wood doesn't rot? Thanks,
Lisa
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 10:47am
Lets get some pictures before you drill hoes in the beams you are talking about. If the holes are drilled, it will expose the wood to water and we all know what that does. There isn't a real good way to seal the proposed holes after the stringers are glassed in.

The picture below shows a stringer system with drainage provided. It was removed from the boat and all half round drainage holes were glassed to seal the holes. It was then put back in the boat and the whole system was glassed to the hull. You can just see the holes at the bottom of the main stringers as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 11:36am
I can take pictures tonight but I have not removed the decking. I can see the hull because of a cut out in the floor and the area around the exhaust is full of water. There is no telling what is under the floor itself. I will take pictures the best I can. Thanks for your help.
Lisa
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2007 at 12:08pm
they should be watertight compartments....a picture tells a thousand stories
eric
laoboy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2007 at 8:27am
I pulled up the floor in the back by the prop and there is water down both channels where the exhaust pipes leave the engine. The pipes have been pieced together with what looks like copper plumbing pipe. Water is still in the hull and is being trapped by a beam which runs the width of the boat up under the front seats. I took pictures of this and can post them after work today. Thanks,
Lisa
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2007 at 10:36am
Lisa, What happened? We are all waiting for the pictures. Did you have any luck with your "cowboys".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic