NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Struck a ground / Shaft ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
HudsonSpeeder View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudsonSpeeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Struck a ground / Shaft ?
    Posted: July-19-2004 at 12:19am
Just came home froma great skiing weekend , except for a small exception. While I was being nice to a fisherman to let him pass by , Upon full acceleration I banged my prop BAD on ground.(rocks). On my standard 3 blade , 2 of them really look bad. The prop is not the problem (I have an ACME #612 on order), the prop is no longer in line or directly behind the rudder. Also the shaft is rubbing against the small fiberglass opening underneath the boat. Looks like the shaft moved about 1/4" to the left. Going to the dealer tomorrow, any ideas before I get the BIG shock tomorrow morning? Thanks to all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 12:52pm

yea ! i have an idea.stay away from the dealer,just cancel that trip.
i paid cc $356.00 for a 1"x41"single taper shaft.then found em at delta for $200.
ask for gary.877-238-8214
www.deltaprop.com
not sure if they can straighten a strut,they did straighten a rudder for me,and installed a new strut bushing [ had the parts off to refinish the boat ]2nd thought,i don't think i would want anybody to even try.if that strut aint perfect,well,there goes a new
shaft.
whatever you do.after you install the new shaft.re-align that motor with the boat IN the water..
   good luck !
kenny g
Jamie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 6:42pm
Sorry to hear about the grounding. Hope all goes well with the repair.

I do have one question - If you were going full speed in a V8 CC, and you let a fisherman by you, what the h--- kind of engine was he operating????

1968 SN 1548
kenny g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2004 at 7:10pm
some of those bass boats,rangers,bulletts ect can run 70 + mph where the hell you been jamie ?
correct crafts are the harley-davidson's on water.slow,but powerfull pulling machines.nothing compares to the feel of a v-twin between your legs pulling a hill,or as you know,a v-8 behind you in a cc.
thats my opinion & i'm stickin to it !

kenny g
Tom View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2004 at 7:15pm
Sorry you had the trouble you did. My 89 barefooter is currently getting a new shaft strut prop and the rutter is @ a freinds shop getting straightened. Went over a submurged ledge due to low water level in the lake. It was 15 min after the maiden voyage of a motor rebuild @ 15-18 mph so I can simpithize with you.
I got my shaft and prop from discound inboard marine. Easier coupler than th OEM. Also got the prop puller normaly 150.00 for 89.00 because of the new prop and you have 30 days to return it if you have problems with it. If the shaft is definatly bent and you can't remove the coupler from it, the after market shaft is the way to go. then you can just sawsall the old shaft and install the new type (tapered @ both ends). It also comes with a sepperation tool incase you need to remove it in the future. I would not cut anything until you have all the new parts in hand to match it up with. I could not find an after market strut so The dealer is where I had to go, Although afterwards I was told a place in orlando could supply you with it. Also if there was a significant vibration be sure to check the area where the shaft comes through the hull for stress cracks.Your probably OK there if you did not run the boat too long afterwards. BE sure to have the coupler and shaft diamiters measured and shaft lenght when you call for parts, also prop pitch and rotation which should be on the prop. Coupler is probably 4 or 5 inchs . Best of luck to you.
Tom
Ralph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ralph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2007 at 3:47pm
NAME OF ORLANDO BUSINESS THAT MAY HAVE RUTTERS AND PROPES,JUST STARTED RESTORING A 77 SKI NATIQUE , LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD SUPPLIERS
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2007 at 12:13pm
Struts, shaft logs, etc. :

http://www.classicboating.com/Underwater_gear.html

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic