NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I’ve really screwed up now, Help!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’ve really screwed up now, Help!
    Posted: July-22-2004 at 8:52pm
I had my boat worked on recently and when I got it back, I noticed that the mechanic had used sparkplugs instead of the brass plugs to fill the drain holes on the sides of the block. When I tried to remove one of the sparkplugs, the plug and actually the threads from the block broke out. In other words, I have nothing to screw a plug back into (I.e. no threads). Can anyone guess as to why the mechanic used the spark plugs in the first place and secondly, what should be done? I'm assuming drilling and tapping out the drain holes will probably be the only solution.
What do you guys think?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Harry View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2004 at 12:50am
You probably are not in as big of a jam as you think. This sort of thing happens all the time with spark plugs. Simply take your boat to any competent auto mechanic (not the same knucklehead that you took it to the last time ,who probably lost the BRASS plugs that were supposed to be used [brass being softer, and less likely to seize in the threads], and have them put in "helicoils" (probably not spelled right, and this is a brand name, not the generic name). Find out what the new thread size will be from the mechanic, then go to a decent hardware store and buy the correct size plugs. If you can't find brass plugs, use steel ones. This is important: use anti-seize compound on the threads (a nasty mix of various powdered and liquid lubricants that you brush on the threads. The total job should be cheap, and you could actually do it yourself, but it's easy to screw up if you have no experience, and you don't want to practice on your boat. Anyone please feel free to contradict me...I'm just telling you what I would do. Hope this eases your mind.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2004 at 2:10pm
Harry you sound right on the mark. SwatkinZ the antisieze is a MUST.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic