NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whats the proper rpm?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats the proper rpm?
    Posted: May-20-2007 at 9:50pm
I have a feeling that my rpm is way too high. At 35 mph the rpm is around 4500 full throttle (about 45 mph) and its around 6000   is this right? oh I have a 351 commander.

thanks db
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 7:31am
Likely somebody turned your tach to '6'.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 2:17pm
Need a little history: prop change? new tack? any other changes?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 8:42pm
Everything seems to be original. I recently bought this boat and don't have the history. There is a small nick in the prop.
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

what does that mean?
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2007 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by dborrelli dborrelli wrote:

Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

what does that mean?

some tach's are switable from 4,6or 8 cyl. Most factory CC tach's don't have this option, so the you need to confirm that the tach is reading right with a timing lite that has an adjustable advance and if the tach is reading right then you need to replace the prop because the pitch and or diameter is too small. Did the previous owner wake board with alot of weight in the boat?
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 12:49am
Theres really no telling what the PO did with this boat except not take proper care of it. I seriously doubt they did a lot of wakeboarding. I really have a feeling that its the prop. If so, my next question is naturally what replacement prop do you recommend me buy? And how much $$$ am I looking at?

thanks db
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 1:00am
what year and model boat is it and what motor is in it? For the tach just look under the sdash and on the back you will see a switch if it is a switchable tach.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 5:38am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

what year and model boat is it and what motor is in it? For the tach just look under the sdash and on the back you will see a switch if it is a switchable tach.

It may be ether a actual switch or a different connection terminal for 4,6,8.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2007 at 11:54pm
I have a 78 ski nautique with a 351 commander.

Bare with me on this. The back of the tach seems to have holes in it for a wire to connect(they say, 6, 6c 8c etc but im not sure because I cant get a good look at it) There is a wire coming out of the center that is connected to one of the holes but I don't know what that hole is labeled. Does any of this sound familiar or am I way off on this?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 1:25am
sounds like it might be in the wrong hole maybe so your in the ball park at least.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 4:53am
db, The switchable wire should be plugged into the 8c hole. There's a quick connect in the hole and on the end of that wire.

Did you look to see what prop is on the boat yet?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Did you look to see what prop is on the boat yet?

Ill take a picture and post it later today

thanks for everyones help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2007 at 12:45pm
db, A picture won't tell us much. Get the dia. and pitch that's stamped in the side.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
dborrelli View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dborrelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 1:40pm
I cant find any info on the prop. Where would it be located?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2007 at 1:52pm
often it is stamped into the flat face on the front of the prop and covered by the washer and nut if you cant see it thats probably where it is.
Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic