Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Using Nautique in Salt Water?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NAUTI84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTI84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using Nautique in Salt Water?
    Posted: August-04-2004 at 11:55pm
Wondering how many (if any) of you use your boats in Salt Water?
My options for fresh water pond/lakes are "slim to none" for a quick after work or weekend afternoon ski.
The past few years my boat is being used for a week's vacation and that's about it.
I've had the boat for 15 yrs and have resisted this temptaion, but I've got a river running off the bay, about 15 mins away, that's a great ski spot. Friends with ocean boats tell me I'm crazy not to drop it in there. They say my engine is no different than the ones in their boats. The river is also pretty well protected so rough water isn't a problem.
Am I crazy not to do it or should I just go buy an I/O?
Comments???
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2004 at 12:25am
we dont have any salt here in oklahoma except in the table shakers but i suspect if i had a playground only fifteen minutes away i'd buy myself a flush pro and always take a few quarters for the car wash on the way home. point is - enjoy your using the boat the most you can.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2004 at 12:59pm
Go for it. Just keep an eye on corrosion and stop it before it becomes a cancer. You will need to flush the engine after each use AND spray down the bilge with fresh water. Use plenty of WD-40 on the outside of the engine, especially the engine mounts.

Also, you could convert the boat to a closed cooling system. Check out www.skidim.com for parts to make this work. Basically, a closed system recirculates the water/coolant mix within the engine and heat exchanger. Sea water is still pumped through the exchanger and exhaust manifolds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic