Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Installing stereo in 89 Ski Nautique?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
89Nautique2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installing stereo in 89 Ski Nautique?
    Posted: June-26-2007 at 2:07pm
Where is the best place to mount the stereo. I would like it on the dash on the lt side, is there room for it there? I would have to cut a hole & do not know if I want to do that. There is a place in the glove box, but would be a pain tuning it from there. Also, where would be the best place to install speakers in the rear section of the boat? Any photos? Thanks
------- They are only original once! ------
Dank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 2:15pm
It's a little hard to see in this picture, but I have my stereo mounted on the dash on the left side. I have two speakers on the front left and front right of the dog box and two under the gunnels just in front of the back seat. It's an '88.

"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me"
duffnit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffnit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2007 at 11:46pm
89, Dank installed his where I plan on moving mine. I currently have the unit mounted under the dash (right of steering box), but I'm tired of hitting my knee on it. There is a cut out behind the face plate for a head unit. I installed some Polk enclosed outdoor speakers under the gunnel by removing the teak strips and bolting 2x4's under the gunnel, and then putting the teak strips back on to cover my bolts. I used the 2x4's to mount the speaker brackets to and called it good. I put a 10 disc changer under the bow and that has worked well. Now, if I could find a small enough cover to fit the face plate mount I could call it done. d
Danny

"no offense- but the rate at which you spread bad information is very impressive"    
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2007 at 3:13pm
Mine is mounted in the same place as Dank in my '87 2001. There is a ton of space behind it as well. If you get your head up under the dash (take out the drivers seat), you might be able to see where there is a pre-form cutout for an older two-post radio. I cut mine out and installed a new DIN mounted radio last year.

I have two 6x9 speakers mounted in the rear seat tubs facing forward. I have some 6" round ones that I want to mount as well, but I don't want to cut into the vinyl, so I'm making some SS brackets to mount them under the gunwhales.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2007 at 3:30pm
Why not in the glove box with a remote on the dash pod. Gets it out of harms way and still easy tuning.
ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 9:07am
I have a fully waterproof radio because I want it away from the steering console. I am not yet entirely sure where t omount it but I like the original look that will be cluttered with the installation of a modern radio.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by Darrel Darrel wrote:

Why not in the glove box with a remote on the dash pod. Gets it out of harms way and still easy tuning.

Ecactly what I did when I got my new dash panel... Used to be mounted in the dashpanel, but now it's safely mounted in the glove box.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 9:25pm
I looked at mounting the head unit in the dash when I had my 89. It would fit due to the avove mentioned factory allowance for the twin post unit. However I decided to mount it in the glove box. more secure, and I figure the passengers can be in control of the music.

A dash mounted remote would be ideal.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2011 at 9:45pm
I used 3/4 plywood, carpeted the plywood on the front mounted speakers to the back with an appropriate hole cut out. I then removed a teak strip in front of the rear seat and countersunk screws through the gunnel into the ply. I then re-secured the teak to hide the screws. skis still fit behind, if you so wish, I have seen boxes that were way cooler but this was fast and easy. I am thinking about building new boxes combined with beverage holders in the future.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2011 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Chopper Chopper wrote:

I decided to mount it in the glove box. more secure, and I figure the passengers can be in control of the music.

A dash mounted remote would be ideal.

The wired remote pod is screwed to the plywood where the bag snaps to.

Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I then removed a teak strip in front of the rear seat and countersunk screws through the gunnel into the ply. I then re-secured the teak to hide the screws.

TRBenj: Yes.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2011 at 1:08pm
Is that a roll of toilet paper?

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2011 at 1:18pm
good use, to wash out the drull when looking chicks!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2011 at 12:37am
This post started in 07    Mine is in the glove box but I have a remote control so I can do my adjusting without getting out of my seat Is the roll for when your cruising a high speed a you do a power turn and the people in the back mess their pants cause they thought they were over board    LMBFAO
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2011 at 1:21am
I'll take some pictures of my 89 , used to have it under wheel to right of steering box then moved it stupidly to glove box , it mounts nice there but if you dont have the cover on the glove box or it happens to rain...it claims the life of radio.. i have polk 6.5 separates in front and in back and 12" polk sub with 5 channel kicker amp. sounds good. check out onlinecarstereo.com got some nice deals on there.. I would definately go for remote setup. I dont have one yet but thats my next project.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
Bama Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bama Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2011 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by 89Nautique2001 89Nautique2001 wrote:

Where is the best place to mount the stereo. I would like it on the dash on the lt side, is there room for it there? I would have to cut a hole & do not know if I want to do that. There is a place in the glove box, but would be a pain tuning it from there. Also, where would be the best place to install speakers in the rear section of the boat? Any photos? Thanks

Good topic 89Nautique2001.
I also want to install a stero system in my 89SN2001 but dont want to cut anything. If I did have to cut something then I would put mine in the glove box but that makes operation difficult when driving boat. I also dont want to cut anything for speakers. If there are any pics out there I would love to see them. Thx.

89 Ski Nautique 2001

89 Ski Nautique 2001
89Ski_Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Ski_Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2011 at 11:02pm
The stereo is safely mounted in the glove box which I believe was one of the locations used by the factory.

Does any one know what were the original front speakers both size and manfacturer, that were installed at the factory or by the dealers? I want to stick with the original factory setup. I currently have a set of 6.5" Jensen Marine (Coax or Dual Cone??) which are starting to distort when played at a nominal volume level.

Thanks Randy
1989 Ski Nautique
Former Boats:
1988 Dominique
1993 Ski Nautique
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2011 at 11:27pm
I think 6.5 polk coax is what they use now , that or JL audio coax should give good quailty sound and hold up good in florida where I am as well. I have polk separate 6.5s in mine I really like them, caught them 159(300 usually) for pair on amazon couldnt pass up that deal...I just bought last years sony marine best they had with ipod connection for 159. that was 299+
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
Chopper View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2011 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by 89Ski_Nautique 89Ski_Nautique wrote:

Does any one know what were the original front speakers both size and manfacturer, that were installed at the factory or by the dealers?

It seems that you wish to keep your setup along the factory lines, but speaker technology has come a long way since then.

I'd look at fitting a quality speaker behind the old "factory" grills.? It will give you better sound with "factory" look.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2011 at 3:06am
I bought my boat new from my local dealer and when the stereo question came up I said yes I would like one. It came In the glove box where it has a cover and you can lock it, they just put two speakers under the corner seats in the back.
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2011 at 12:44pm
4x10s

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2011 at 12:51pm
I have the cut outs for those in my 1987, They make for easy access to my dock lines stored there without having to lift the seat. I did not replace them because I did not want the bases teathered. I mounted them as described earlier.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2011 at 1:14pm
Worst install?

inglesideshawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inglesideshawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2011 at 1:47am
mine are in the pass base, and under the bow,it sounds great...
and when did the site change how to post pictures?what did i miss?
1989 nautique
jo-e90 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jo-e90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2013 at 12:52am
Can someone please post pics of where you put your 12" subwoofer with enclosure?
1997 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic