NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ram-Lin Carpet - Brilliant!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ram-Lin Carpet - Brilliant!
    Posted: July-03-2007 at 11:26am
I spent a good amount of time underneath my trailer this week as I replaced the main brake line (due to a hole rusted and worn through it). Everybody knows what a completely ASININE design the carpeted steps are on this trailer. It still blows my mind every time I see the bubbles of rust forming on the 2000 trailer that they would use the carpeted steps or that anyone at Ram-Lin or CC would consider that a REMOTELY good idea. By my calculations, if I don't swap out the carpeted steps soon, I'll have to replace all of the metal supports for the steps on both sides of the trailer very soon. The rust is getting deep and thick in areas and it's driving me nuts. The wiring is also completely shoddy and will have to be replaced soon, but that doesn't scare me.

That said, I don't cut or weld metal. I also don't have, say, 600.00 laying around to have a shop re-create the steps in polished diamond plate or whatever others have done. What I'm thinking of is perhaps replacing the carpeted steps with Starboard or some other plastic wood replacement. Maybe I could fashion some planked "deck" looking steps out of the plastic decking material you find at home stores. Eventually, the trailer is going to need the metal supports of the steps recreated and the whole thing painted but I'm hoping to dodge that for a couple years. Putting big money into a trailer that's probably only worth 900.00 doesn't sound like a good investment to me. Ideas? How much would it cost to have a shop create the steps in metal and re-paint? 1000?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 12:07pm
Joel, not sure how much it would cost for the metal fab work, but I would guess a few hundred bucks. When you say repaint, do you mean just the steps, or the whole trailer? Either way it shouldnt be too much- Ive heard that having an entire trailer sandblasted and powdercoated should only run $600-800 ($300-400 each step).

If the rest of the trailer looks OK, I would just knock off the big rust with a wire brush or sandpaper, then mask off the area and hit it with some black Rustoleum. If most of the problem lies just under the steps, no one will ever see it.

As far as the steps themselves go, Im not sure how strong a composite material would be. Perhaps just make them out of wood again, but give them a thick coat of resin for waterproofing, then recarpet? Im guessing they were originally just bare plywood.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 12:39pm
Well, the problem is that the carpet stays wet for nearly a week after dunking the trailer. This wetness is what causes the trailer to rust out so the carpet has gotta go. Ply with resin is not a bad idea, and a pretty cost effective solution.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 1:07pm
I see, that makes sense. If you dont replace the panels with metal, you can at least recarpet with some lighter weight material (that holds less water). Keeping the wood dry (either composite or coated in resin) should help too.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 2:40pm
You can substitue HDPE (high density polyethylene) for wood.
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 3:12pm
If you go with ply coated with resin, instead of re-carpeting, how about covering the the ply with non-skid vinyl or coating it with a bed-liner paint?
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2007 at 10:37pm
Teak or Ipe looks trick.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 1:48am
I'm currently cooking up an idea to use planks of 1X6 composite decking material running lengthwise to create the steps on the trailer. I recall seeing a pic of someone doing this with their Ram-Lin but I can't find the link. In some cases, Ram-Lin decided to put the carpet even between the supports and the plywood- e.g. it's wrapped around the ply, and the screws are drilled through the metal frame, then into carpet, then into the back of the ply. The rust is thick, and borderline structural on the steps.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-04-2007 at 3:09am
Maybe it is not a total loss yet. Perhaps you can remove the carpeted steps then use an electric powered wire brush to remove most of the rust. After that treat the metal with a rust converter. When finished, prime and paint again. Then laminate the area covered with the carpet using several coats of epoxy resin. That should form a pretty good barrier. You could even drill a few large holes, then place the round end of a ball peen hammer against the hole and pound it with a larger hammer to create a depression surrounding the hole. Then recarpet, use laminated decking or whatever.

When I work with steel I go to the scrap metal yard. The steel is sold by the pound.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-05-2007 at 2:59am
TR, maybe the demand is higher in Louisiana. But I got quoted about 1000-1200 to have my trailer sandblasted and powdercoated.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 12:00pm
I'm raising this thread back from the dead as I'm starting to contemplate winter projects. I've looked at a few shops that sell diamond plate and it would appear that it is not an inexpensive material. Anything over a couple hundred bucks is way over budget on this project. Could anyone suggest what thickness it should be to form the steps on the trailer? I was guessing 3/8". Would I order it separately or just get it from the machine shop that would be doing the cutting?

The other option I really like (which was suggested in this thread) was creating plywood steps and painting them with a non-skid bedliner-style paint in flat black. My concern here is that a few years down the road the ply will get that warped/weathered look and look like some half-assed repair. Could I seal it with resin, then paint it? If at all possible I'd like to disguise the wood grain completely on the plywood, so maybe a thin coat of bondo, then sand flat, coat with resin, then paint. I'm open to any suggestions here on this project. All the Ram-Lins that I've seen have come with these carpeted steps from the factory so an economical replacement would probably benefit many.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 12:09pm
Joel, if you go with diamond plate, I would think that 3/8" is waaay overkill. Assuming its adequately supported, 1/8" may be more in line.

If you go with plywood, you can certainly paint resin-coated plywood. I used some rattle can stuff meant for plastics on the underside of my rear step. Someone else can probably recommend something better. Probably no need for bondo, though- the resin is fairly thick, so I doubt youd be able to see the grain of the wood after painting, especially if you sanded it first.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joel, if you go with diamond plate, I would think that 3/8" is waaay overkill.

Whoops, that's a result of typing posts in way too early in the morning. I meant 3/16 but they probably don't even make it in that thickness.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 12:42pm
Here's a quote from MetalsDepot.com on 1/8" aluminum diamond plate, 4' x 10'

1/8 (.125) thickness 3003 Aluminum Diamond Plate - Highly Polished      4 X 10 Ft.      1      In Stock      $319.20      $319.20

Yikes!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 12:51pm
Yikes is right!

I still think the easiest/cheapest/best looking solution is to redo the steps out of plywood, coat them in resin, and recarpet.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Yikes is right!

I still think the easiest/cheapest/best looking solution is to redo the steps out of plywood, coat them in resin, and recarpet.

I agree with the plywood part but I'm trying to eliminate the carpet in order to thwart the rust issue. The carpet takes up to a week to dry in the garage so the trailer just sits there and rots. The current carpet looks terrific and is in perfect shape. It just holds too much water.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2007 at 2:22pm
Joel. McMaster Carr has smaller sheet sizes of diamond plate so that may be a route to go. When I did my trailer for my X55 I used the 3/16" and it is plenty. Keep in mind that the thickness is to the top of the diamond and not the thickness of the base sheet. I cut it with a carbide tipped blade in a hand "Skil" saw. The trailer was the delux version with the fiberglass pan but it had been jack knifed so the pan was totaled. I used the diamond plate for the steps and fenders. Lots of hot chips with the Skil saw but it cuts very nice. If you need some bends in it, I can help.

Edit: Joel, I just checked out Mcmaster and found that their selection of tread plate isn't what it used to be. They only have the unpolished, the smallest size is 48"x48" and it is twice as expensive as the price you got!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Mojo View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2007 at 12:16pm
Joel,
Go Diamond plate and fix that trailer right.. Why would you want to go through fixing the thing again in a couple of years??? Like you said, who wants to look at a repair that will be shoddy looking down the road ???. Your boat is to nice not to...Right !!

Pete, Super job on that trailer !!! I want to make some new fenders out of that material, so anytime you would like a weekend project, let me know... Ha..

Moj'
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2007 at 1:29pm
Joel, MSC industrial supply has the tread plate in the smaller pieces.

Tread plate at MSC supply

Dave, I can do some bending for you as long as it is simple. When I did the trailer with the tread plated, I had access to more equipment at a previous job. Specifically a box and pan break.

Note, Disregard my earlier statement on the thickness being to the top of the diamond. After looking at several sources of smaller pieces, I found that they have changed the method of measuring thickness. The thickness is the sheet and not the diamond. Joel, I would say that because the frame spacing on the steps is close, that the .080 thickness would be good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:03am
I have the same issue with our trailer ('89). The plywood was rotted & the steel rusted, but salvageable with grinding, brushing, etching, prime & paint with rustoleum.

A friend volunteered to sell me scrapped aluminum dia plate (at scrap price) as they generate it from other projects - it will take time but I have until spring to get r done.
It might not be highly polished but better than rewrapping carpet on plywood which is a waste of time.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2007 at 11:11pm
The guy I bought my boat from removed the wood & carpted steps and replaced with smoke black color plexi-glass. It's in storage now, but I would guess plexiglass is ~3/8" thick. He also added some "no slip" grip strips for added traction. Flimsy in some areas, but overall OK. Doesn't look great, but I can live with it.
Mark P View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 12:17am
The carpet is a holdover from when Correct Craft made the trailers. I agreee that this is a very poor design, but it looks really good when new. I, as well as two of my Nautqiue friends, had the same issue after a couple years of ownership. My previous '94 Sport Nautique also has major frame rust which started at the holes torched underneath for the electrical wires. This rusting made me apprehensive to trailer my boat any distance. Most all other boat trailers are galvanized and now I (we) know why.
94nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-28-2007 at 10:01pm
The steps on my 94 CB nautique trailer had rotten wood for steps when I purhased it. I bought 3/4" 5x10 plywood, cut to shape with a jig-saw, radiused the edges with a router, stained black with ebony stain and sealed/waterproofed with linseed oil. Worked great! The black colour does not demand visual attention, the plywood gives grip naturally and it cost me about $100.00. Works for me.
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 7:30pm
I have the same problem. I too am thinking about doing the bed liner solution. Here is what I have come up with so far. Cut the plywood to shape. Drill out the holes to attach to frame. Have plywood sprayed with bed liner. Keep in mind that this bed liner is pretty thick. You will have to drill the holes extra large. Who ever sprays the bed liner will be able to tell you the thickness. Then use stainless bolts to attach to trailer. I think it will look pretty cool having the black bed liner with the stainless bolt heads showing through.
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
azeus17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azeus17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2007 at 7:41pm
My question is, where do you buy 9 foot long plywood? The step on there now is one piece and it is 9 feet long. I checked at HD and Lowes. No luck. Will a real lumber yard carry something like that?
Boats:
Current: 02 SANTE
Sold: 89 Sport Nautique
94nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 94nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 12:12am
I purchased the 5' X 10' sheet at my local cabinet maker. It is a special order item, cost me about $80.00 Cdn. This will do both left and right sides with a single sheet and no seams. I doubt you'll find anything larger than 4x8 at a box store. Good luck.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 9:01am
No matter if you put coated ply, diamond plate or some kind of plastic back down don't forget the primary problem. You want to keep the water from getting trapped between the steps and the trailer frame and causing the steel to rust. Yes, a good zinc based primmer and a high tech top coat will help but there are a couple extra steps I used. Make sure the holes through the frame for bolting the steps on have plenty of clearance. You do not want the threads on the bolts to damage the paint coating on the steel. You can use flat washers on the bottom side. Put the flat washers on bur down so the bur doesn't dig into the paint. You may have noticed that most rust starts around holes and bolts. Next, caulk the whole surface between the steps and the trailer frame. I did this on the trailer I put the diamond plate on and after 28 years, I have no rust. The only rust I have is at the spring shackles. None on the springs because when I downsized the springs to improve it's ride, I used mono-leaf tapered springs. (1 spring)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 10:19am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Next, caulk the whole surface between the steps and the trailer frame.

I have a similar problem with the painted diamond steel on my trailer. It's a different situation than with a wooden step. CC caulked around the edges and seams and painted over it. The rust probably started at the welds and then it worked its way under the caulk and paint. I chipped that out and pulled the caulking and then treated with rust doctor until I can get it repainted.

Pete, I like your solution for a wooden step. For my metal ones, I think I'll try padding my bolted parts with pieces of on old inner tube, and I'll add drain holes to the steps. CC was going for a clean look, but water is the enemy! Thoughts?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2007 at 1:59pm
Greg, The key to keeping the water out and the rust starting is caulking the whole surface between the steps and the trailer frame. It sounds like your trailer caulked at the edges only was to just make it look pretty. It probably did more harm than good by trapping the water in. I'm sure it would have seeped in someplace like around a screw hole when it went in the lake. I wouldn't try to get any rubber around the screws or under the steps because I don't think it would do much for sealing. I would just caulk them in as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic