Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

forward idle and stalling

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: forward idle and stalling
    Posted: July-21-2007 at 3:52pm
so have had the boat running very well after replacing the distributor and having the carb completely rebuilt.

we've been chasing a forward idle forever, and it still is not corrected 100% of the time.

sometimes the engine runs perfect in all categories, and other (like just now)it will sputter and stall in forward idle.

had it out for a ski this morning and no problems.

just went out for a cruise and I could tell it wasn't running right. pulled it back to neutral and then into gear and yep... it stalled out.

so I opened the hatch and started it up to tune the idle speed screw. didn't help... I backed it off almost completely and the idle would hang high. then I got it into gear by throwing it into gear and past idle. got up to speed and gave it some good gas. then it stalled out at speed, which it has never really done before, at least not since rebuilding the carb and new dist.

when it stalled I opened the hatch and could hear a hissing sound coming from the alternator side of the motor, from the top of the engine by the carb or valve cover, riser area. couldn't pin point it.

I pulled the vacume hose off the carb and tried to suck and blow. didn't seem to do anything. put it back on and went to the idle speed screw...
so I backed the idle screw right out after starting it up (no problem starting it) until it almost died and turned it in until it wouldn't stall. put it in gear and turned it in 1/4 turn. then tested it by putting it in neutral then forward and repeat.

was perfect.

then gave it nearly wot and it ran flawlessly. took it back to the dock. shut it down. start, neutral, forward, reverse. no problems and no hissing like before.

I'm completely stumped. how does it run flawlessly one minute and horribly the next without really doing anything?
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2007 at 10:55pm
just replaced the fuel filter and it ran great after that. had it out for 20min and once again the forward idle is rough and stalling, also coughs at speed, so its not just an idle issue, but more prevalent.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2007 at 1:14am
Check your fuel pressure. Also, even with a rebuilt carb, you can still have some trash in it causing problems. A piece of debris trapped in the needle and set valve. Also, who rebuilt your carburetor and how thoroughly did they clean the metering block?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2007 at 3:01am
thanks man!

very reputable guy who rebuilt the carb... sturgeon point marina in ontario.. his name is actually holley..

he put a new front end on the carb, renew kit as well as new distributor. this seemed to fix the problems we were having initially, but the stalling only happens when the boat has been run for a while and in hotter temps. for example I went out for a ski at 8am, were out for an hour as we have to travel 2 miles to calm water, no problems. air temp was 55.

took the boat out again for a quick haul to get groceries. 5 min there, 5 back. no problems.

went out for a cruise this aft... 80 degrees, sunny, 20 min in and thats when it started.

so I replaced the fuel filter and found no water and virtually no junk in it.

took it out for a quick blast and it ran great. 1 hr later went for a cruise and after 20 min it started acting up again.

it doesn't just do it at idle, it hesitates, very rarely when getting on plane and just the once earlier in the day at high speed.

I am leaning towards the manifold gasket from where the hissing sound was coming from and after having the carb rebuilt.

I'm pretty sure they put a new gasket in when they rebuilt the carb, but can't be sure.

any other suggestions?

Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 2:33am
as per the recommendation on PN I sprayed quick start around the base of the carb and intake manifold.

I am hearing a hissing coming from the alternator side of motor near the carb and valve cover, so this rec makes sense..

what I found when I sprayed it was the rpms dropped drastically, almost stalling, when I sprayed at the base of the carb. but seemed to increase very slightly when I sprayed at the top of the manifold, where it meets the spacer plate.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 8:29am
Kyle, Glad you found the vacuum leak. It sounds like it may come and go with the heat and cool cycles and the expansion and contraction. Check for flatness of the mating surfaces and the condition of the gasket.

By the way, The idea of spraying around the base of the carb to check for leaks didn't originate from PN. It came from this site when someone came over to find a problem that no one on PN could figure out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 11:52am
both sites have helped a ton, lots of great info and I think most people go back and forth, as I have because you want to get as much info as possible. thank you nautique owners!!!

anyways.. as per the original recomendation; rpm should increase and it seems as they did very slightly (hard to tell) when I sprayed along the intake manifold gasket side, but dropped drastically when I sprayed higher up along the bottom of the carb.

I would assume nothing should happen if there's a seal, right? up or down?

what do you think I should order from skiDIM? the gaskets are cheap, but the 2 carb gaskets were just replaced.

could the spacer plate be warped or even the head?

thanks again!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 12:03pm
What gaskets did you use on the carb...not all fit well(Mr Gasket etc). Felpro gaskets are the ones!
I have chased the same problem twice and it is a pain to be close but not there all the way! On one boat...it was a matter of finding a better gasket for the carb...Felpro.
on another Boat(Idle was nearly there but a small stumble under load)it went away when I got my alignment right.Just enough resistance to put a tab bit too much load.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 12:22pm
i don't know what was used. the carb gaskets are new from the rebuild, not sure about the intake manifold, but the reaction to the quick start on it was minimal if at all. will replace anyways.

I was going to order the ones from skidim, the pcm ones.. whataya think about them?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 4:12pm
Those should be correct! The ones between carb and spacer and spacer to intake often are the offenders!

Hope that solves it!
stang

The Super Air

Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 5:28pm
just to clarify, there are 2 carb gaskets and 1 intake manifold gasket, correct?

anything I should know or do before or during the install? can I just pull the carb, install and put it back on? or will I have to adjust and tune the carb after? thanks!

this is what I was going to order:

x1 http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0186
x2 http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0054B
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 8:54pm
I received this info - what do you guys think?:

Replacing the gaskets may not
help at all. If this carb has been rebuilt a few times it is likely that
the throttle plate bushings are worn out. From new there are no
bushings, but when they wear out you can remove the throttle plates and
shaft and drill and install bushings.

You can check to see if there is any play there. Grab both sides of the
primary throttle shaft and move it back and forth to see if it is loose.
Then check the secondary throttle shaft.

Another problem, if you can hear a vaccuum leak, might be either the
secondary vaccuum diaphram leaking or a power valve might be screwed.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 10:00pm
Answer to the gasket question...two gaskets not three. One between the carb and spacer and the other between the spacer and the intake. Yes...unbolt carb and add the gaskets and bolt it back on. If there was a vaccuum leak and that corrects it...then you will need to adjust the idle screws and idle speed....very simple!
Now the however part!Throttle plate bushings worn? could be...but you said the rebuild was someone who is good, right? He should have dianosed that if it was so...also a new power valve and secondary diaphram are part of the rebuild kit.

Yes..gaskets are cheep! Even though the gaskets a new, they may not be the right ones....there are a bunch of different ones for holleys and can be a bad fit if not the right ones!Go with the Skidim ones and see what happens.
Spacer...yep it can be warped...Check while the carb is off ...lay it on a flat serface(table top etc) and see!
Also...if you have not checked...make sure the PC valve is good(located on the valve cover with a hose that goes to the rear of the spacer). Shake it and see if it rattles...if not , it is bad.
stang

The Super Air

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2007 at 10:53pm
FYI there are only about two guys worth a sh*t with motors on PN so be carefull what you do. Gary's got you headed down the right path.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:37am
thanks Bob, the last piece of info I got was from a mustang tuner from around my neck of the woods, no boat experience, so he was just giving me his piece on it. I only got 1 reply on PN and it was to replace the gaskets. I appreciate both sites, but do refer here for more technical info and really appreciate the help. sometimes it seems hard to get an answer and I know someone has gone through this, and here it comes!!

I've had the boat looked at by 3 different marine guys, 1 is Pride of Muskoka (the Nautique dealer for Ontario) all were told that there was an idle issue and none have fixed it. The biggest reason I suppose is that it seems somewhat random, but in actuality it only happens when the motor has been run the same day and seems to happen more/worse when the air temp is hotter - very hard to find the pattern (that's me sticking up for shotty work again that I paid $$$ for).

so my guess is that the "pros" didn't run the boat long enough to find the actual problem & my diagnosis has been weak, but we've replaced so many parts to rule things out that it now makes it much easier to determine.

I will check the pcv, I pulled it because I had the motor stall years ago and found it pulled out (looked into what it was lol). I don't recall if it rattled or not, will check!

I was refering to 2 carb gaskets and 1 intake gasket because the spacer plate sits on something. I assumed this was also a gasket.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 1:41am
you might have a spacer plate that is a little warped and creates the leak after it gets hot.

Most of the time a problem like yours is related to something in the carb not being rigth, and there are a ton of carb experts out there but only a hand full that can actually fix them right, they all can take them apart few can but them back the way it should be to run right.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:02am
I am going to order the gaskets and take a look at the spacer plate. I can't seem to find a replacement from skidim...

the one constant on all topics which I'm experiencing is an improper seal or leak at the gaskets... I will start there first.

piss off is I could have bought a new carb for the $ I've spent on it... my fault, I should and now am learning this stuff myself. I just don't have the time or proper tools (slowly accumulating)...

thanks guys, will let you know how the gasket install goes and I'll check out the other recs while I'm at it.

any idea of where to get a spacer plate if I need one?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:10am
well we really don't need a posting from a manual, allready know what it say's.

Guess I never would have replaced the carb just rebuilt it, cann't see how a 40 dollar kit and a 5 gal pail of carb cleaner even comes close to the cost of a new carb, but then you have to have someone smart enough to but the carb back together right too and knows what is worn out and what isn't, hell even if you hade to replace the trottle plate it's still cheaper than a new one. Besides you have more than one leak the way it sounds.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 11:39am
You can go to the auto parts store and pick up Fepro gaskets...(O'reillys has them)
felpro #60059. That gasket works on three of my rigs 1972 302 and 1984 351. I would assume it will be right for yours....(take the spacer with you and make sure the gasket fits the spacer dimentions).
On one of my 302's I use a #60058 between the spacer and intake(just because I had one sitting arround)...it's a thicker gasket.

You will know soon if you have any other issues once you know that area is leak free.

You can get a new spacer...but the old one can be leveled out(sanded). It may be fine anyway???

Carb removal...while your at it...disconnect the fuel inlet fitting at the carb and you should have a filter screen in the fitting...check it to make sure there is no crap in it.

The process of finding the source of your problem , is to go though a check of all the simple things first before you start dropping a bunch of cash!

stang

The Super Air

Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 12:58pm
Thanks guys, will advise once I've put new gaskets in and checked everything.
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:22pm
What about looking over the coil, some times those go bad.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 3:34pm
from the hissing around the carb and all the rec's I don't know...
that hasn't been mentioned yet. I have had coil's go in the past and don't know about this...
anyone else?

we had put a new dist on last year, I would assume the coil was checked... I have a hard time trusting people working on my boat now. i want to accumulate the proper tools, so i can test and tune but my in depth knowledge is still weak.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 4:13pm
if the coil was bad would it not also be hard to start?

it fires up like a charm hot or cold.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2007 at 5:11pm
I just spoke to a guy around the corner from me. specialty carb shop that was recommended by my boss who owns 5 euro classic cars... they've got thousands of parts and full units including holley's.

problem is they work only on the carb, not the full unit (impossible for me to bring the boat anyways).

he has said a lot of the same things inour 5 min convo.

would bringing the carb to this guy help my situation? can we get to the bottom of the vacume leak off the boat?

the only thing he said he couldn't do is if its a manifold issue. they can grind the spacer down and have a full shop.
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 1:40am
Kylecraft...your racing ahead here! When your boat is running well but having idle issues , I would say the first place to look is for vacc leaks...you need to determine where they are and stop the leak! Vacc leaks will raise hell with your idle.

Have you even yet checked the spacer...no need to grind the spacer unless it needs it. You can buy a brand new Holley if you wish and still have the same issues if it's not a carb issue!

1)make sure your spacer is not warpped , the carb base is not warpped(if it is...get another) and the gaskets are the right ones.
2)Intake manifold,manifolds or risers...these could be a leak source.
3) and yes it may be an issue with the carb.

I would try to rule in or rule out leaks in the suspect areas before moving to the carb. I have found leaks by either spraying carb cleaner or blowing cigar smoke...a leak will suck the smoke in! Maybe others can offer more help on finding vacc leaks!

If you can rule these factors out...maybe then it's time for a new carb....I purchased a remanufactured marine carb from Allcarbs for about $225.00 and have been very pleased with it!
Lots of folks have dropped cash on a bunch of parts only to find it was a simple fix!

Of course , some times this sh*t is hard to find!!!
stang

The Super Air

Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 11:58am
haha thanks stang, you've helped a ton already.

I won't take the carb in just yet. the only reason is because I've had a hell of a time finding someone that can work on it, obviously. I've been chasing this issue for 3-4 years and had it into 3 different marinas. 1 of which I mentioned is the CC dealer for ontario...

this guy only deals with carbs so I thought it couldn't hurt, but he'll just go over stuff that has probably already been looked (notice the probably as I can't be sure what the other jerks have done). if after I replace the gaskets and there is no more hissing sound or vacuum leak then maybe I will have to.

that said. when looking for gaskets, there are 2 different ones. the carb gasket with the 4 holes in it:
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0054B
and the intake gaskets: http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RM0186

I know I'm repeating myself but I should order 1 of each or 2 of the carb gaskets?

its obvious where the carb gaskets go and how, but not so sure about the intake gasket.

where and how do I install them?

also, any recommendations on a good holley book with illustrations. a dvd maybe? I have the pcm service manual from this site, but the illustrations are impossible to see. as an amateur I could use any help I can get. I am not going to be taking this boat to anyone now and if I want to keep it I will learn more of this stuff myself, especially with all the help from this site
marks View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 12:37pm
Kylecraft,

I ordered this book directly from Holly a few years ago. I found it quite helpful.   Also, there is a lot of free information on the holly site including exploded illustrations of the 4160.

http://www.holley.com/Store/product.asp?ID=36-133

Also, you need two RM0054B gaskets. One for between the carb and spacer and another for between the spacer and the manifold.
Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 12:41pm
thanks marks!
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 1:19pm
Kylecraft,

You will be getting a total of 2 gaskets(no more, no less)Once you remove the carb, it will be obvious where each goes.When removing the spacer, remeber which is side is up.
Removing carb....you will disconnect the gas line at the carb(keep towel with you for gas from line)disconnect throttle linkage....unbolt the four nuts and pull it off!There will be a gasket between the carb base and the spacer...now pull the spacer off and you will see a gasket between spacer and intake.
Once you have done this...check the spacer for to see that it's not warpped...check the carb base for warppage....and check the screen in the gas line fitting you just removed to make sure there is no crud.
If all is well put it all back on with new gaskets and that area will no longer be suspect! Perhaps even solving the prob. If issue still existists....we will more to other check points!
From all you have said ,I suspect a vacc leak(or leaks)and if there are some....it will NEVER idle right period!rule in and rule out!

3-4 years chasing the problem...I assume this was happening before the rebuild on the carb?
stang

The Super Air

Kylecraft View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kylecraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2007 at 2:07pm
it was happening before the rebuild...

to the point where we replaced the coil, dist, and rebuilt the carb, and still an idle issue.

I only noticed the hissing sound this past weekend.

since all the other upgrades the boat does run better, and the idle issue now only happens when the boat has been run a few times a day and even still, seems to happen more frequently and worse when the air temp is worse.

I thought that maybe its an exhaust leak, but opening the hood doesn't change it and it has a brand new muffler on it...

edit: I placed the order for 2 gaskets and a neutral safety switch w/ gasket from ski dim (I have had the 2 wires connected to bypass)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic