Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black soot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BSteele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSteele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black soot
    Posted: July-27-2007 at 12:40pm
I am finding black soot under my swim platform after trailering the boat. I do have some white smoke/steam during operation of the boat. I have new plugs, new oil and great oil pressure. The boat runs like it's new. Is this normal? Any ideas? 1990 Ski Nautique.
BSteele
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 2:41pm
Not to sound stupid is it only there when your trailering the boat?I'm assumming its from after a day of running and you see it when you are putting it but on the trailer.My boat does that also,but only a little.Its just a little carbon build-up.If its excessive and really black,then it sounds like your running rich.If thats the case have you checked your plugs to see how there burning?If they have alot of carbon build-up and are black you need to adjust the carb.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 3:03pm
Billy, Is your tow vehicle a diesel??? No, it does sound like the boat is running rich. It si probably time for some carb work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
BSteele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSteele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 4:00pm
Yes, the tow vehicle is a diesle but that is not where it is coming from. It's only on the back of the boat. I will pull the plugs and get back to you guys. Running rich is a definite possibility. A little carbon is normal but mine seems excessive.
BSteele
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2007 at 8:22pm
Check your exhaust hose for water output while running... If your not getting enough water your hose could be getting hot and burning.. Mostlikely your just running a little rich but check it anyway to be safe.
BSteele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSteele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 8:39pm
Allright guys.
I pulled the #1 plug and found minor black crbon build up on the plug.
I am using a motorcraft ASF 42C. Could this be the wrong spark plug for my 1990 Nautique.
Maybe this plug does not burn hot enough.
If this is the correct plug, where is the adjustment on the carb to lean it out a bit?
(351w) Any help would be appreciated.
BSteele
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2007 at 8:46pm
Your 90 should be running an autolite plug, I believe. I am not sure if that motorcraft number cross refferences to the autolite plug or not.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic