Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

188 mercruiser to 63 classic retrofit

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
63classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 188 mercruiser to 63 classic retrofit
    Posted: September-07-2004 at 3:24am
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this site. We've aquired a 16' 1963 classic (I think hull I.D. correct) that was a straight 6 cyl powered boat. We want to install a Mercruiser 302 ci ford V-8 that we have, in place of the 6. We are planning a Warner Velvet drive install also. What engine/trans mounts should we install in the hull to accomodate the 302 ci? Any discussion of pitfalls of this swap would be greatly appreciated.

This is a great site and treamendous resource for the Correct Craft community! I applaud you for your efforts to create such a wonderful tool!
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2004 at 12:20pm
Congrats on your acquisition. As you've seen there are a handfull of Classic owners out there. As for your engine mounts, you can find them at Discount Inboard Marine at the top of page here. I wouldn't anticipate any problems converting to that engine. If your 888 was an I/O engine then you'll probably need a bellhousing to bolt that transmission to unless you already have that. You'll also be wanting to cut another exhaust exit port in the transom. You can check this listing on ebay to see if these would work for you depending on what size exhaust hose you're using. These are for 2 or 2-1/2" hose the guy told me. They sure would look good on it:    http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2267757711&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

And make sure that the 302 is the same rotation as the engine that came out of it, so you don't have any surprises down the road. Good luck.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

63classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2004 at 3:42am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Congrats on your acquisition. As you've seen there are a handfull of Classic owners out there. As for your engine mounts, you can find them at Discount Inboard Marine at the top of page here. I wouldn't anticipate any problems converting to that engine. If your 888 was an I/O engine then you'll probably need a bellhousing to bolt that transmission to unless you already have that. You'll also be wanting to cut another exhaust exit port in the transom. You can check this listing on ebay to see if these would work for you depending on what size exhaust hose you're using. These are for 2 or 2-1/2" hose the guy told me. They sure would look good on it:    http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2267757711&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

And make sure that the 302 is the same rotation as the engine that came out of it, so you don't have any surprises down the road. Good luck.

Hi Reid,
Thanks for the input! Yes, we have a bellhousing that was aquired to do just as you outlined.

Yes, we were considering how to best cut the second exhaust port in the transom. Thanks for the lead on the hardware. We also have a set of Nicsson exhaust manifolds to attach to the 302. Bonus! They were designed for the engine.   

Any idea on a source for a 4 barrel intake manifold for the 302?

We will have to determine if the rotation is in the correct direction.
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2004 at 3:52am
SKIDIM or Blueridge marine in Lynwood WA. are the 2 I would try
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2004 at 2:57pm
Get the manifold from summit racing or jegs it is much cheaper if you buy an aluminum intake.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2004 at 5:19pm
If you want a cast iron factory intake, I've got one for $25 plus freight, but I'd rather buy the aluminum piece, esp since you already have the nice alum exhausts. In addition to Summit, Jegs, or PAW, as BC mentioned, e-bay is also flooded with them. Search for "289 302 intake". You should be able to find something for $100 or less.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

63classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2004 at 4:47am
Many thanks to you all for the great tips!
63classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2006 at 1:47am
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Hi Reid,

We're finally getting to this! Do you know of any pictures that show the 188hp Mercruiser (302ci) installation on the '63 classic? It may be an American Skier also. not sure. Where is the data plate?
stang72 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stang72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2006 at 3:37am
63classic...do you have some pics? American skier or classic...
Every classic I have seen (diaries etc...my garage) ...has been powered by bigger engines...8 cylinder(usually ford 312Y or grey marine 327). Most of the American Skiers(early 60's)were 6 cylinder...that is only what I have observed...no data to back it up!
What is the hull ID? Also if it helps...I can measure the hull length and beam on mine again....as I recall, the classic is approx.16'-8" long with a wide beam nearly 7 feet.
stang

Face plants are not that funny when it's you face!

The Super Air

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2006 at 12:58am
Hello 63' and stang. I've been wrapped up and on the road the last few weeks, so I owe several folks some responses.

Regarding the '63, Stang's all over this and right on the money above in my opinion. Do two identical observations const*tute a fact, or just more opinions. A 188 in this boat would be exactly the same as any 260 or 289 install, of which there were very many, and possibly some good picts on this site.

Your hull I.D. number would have originally been stamped on an alum plate nailed/screwed to the top of the port engine stringer. But the number could also be found stamped on the under/backside of many of the seat and floor boards if they are still original. "PC---" for a Classic and "AM---" for an American Skier. So check for them carefully if the plate is no longer there.   The American Skier will have the dash gauges set in a straight line whereas the Classic has them arranged in a pattern in a trapezoidal(sp?) shaped center dash panel. The Skier's center cross beam was generally a separate piece bolted to the gunnel at each side, whereas the Classic's beam is an integral part of the molded top deck. That's all I know tonite.   
ReidP
1973 Mustang

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2006 at 2:34am
ReidP: Glad you are back on. I sent you a personal e-mail a week (or 2?) ago concerning the River deal. Ever get it? If not I'll resend. Is that a word: resend?

Sorry for the threadjack.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic