NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RARE Cypress Gardens Flying Saucer

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RARE Cypress Gardens Flying Saucer
    Posted: September-17-2007 at 9:05pm
*SOLD*, old, all original and nice.

pcarpenter2@carolina.rr.com

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2007 at 10:48pm
what exactly is that thing?..a pice of plywood with two slalom bindings?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 12:18am
You the winner Ryan !!!!! Looks like fun, doesn't it??   
jon4pres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon4pres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 7:43pm
What do you do with it??
82 2001

jon4pres@gmail.com
Fort Scott Kansas
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 8:00pm
i can just imagine how nice those face plants feel after catching an edge with that thing...or the concussion im gonna get after i fall!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-18-2007 at 8:13pm
If it were 1976 you might ski on it, but in 2007 it's not much more than a wall decoration.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If it were 1976 you might ski on it, but in 2007 it's not much more than a wall decoration.

What, you'll ride a kneeboard but wont rock the disk?

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 9:42am

You're just trying to de-value it since you want it so bad for your vintage gear collection!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 10:15am
I guess it needs to go to ebay. I think the last one that sold brought almost $220 plus shipping. I will try and see. It would be nice in someones collection, no doubt. I thought I might find someone from here on the site that might collect the vintage stuff.

Thanks for looking.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 11:02am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

What, you'll ride a kneeboard but wont rock the disk?

Tim,

You may want to watch that "Barefoot Instructional video again", that is not exactly the chair position they where referring to.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 12:39pm
Paul, good luck with the sale.

CQ has something like that in his garage, it's a disc like that but with mannequin arm makign a fist coming off the top of it. I still can't figure out what he does with it?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 1:23pm
Those discs are a blast. I've never seen one that had bindings on it though. We just made our own disc. Cut a 4'diameter circle out of plywood and painted it. Did the same stuff that HW shows above. We even put a 6' step ladder on it and started to climb the ladder.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Did the same stuff that HW shows above.

Thats me, Eddie. Hollywood is afraid of the disk- he better stick to kneeboarding. Thats a homemade job too, by the way.

A stepladder is a great idea- we'll have to try that next year. Good thing the falls dont hurt much at 10mph.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 3:19pm

Paul, good luck with the sale.

CQ has something like that in his garage, it's a disc like that but with mannequin arm makign a fist coming off the top of it. I still can't figure out what he does with it?

ROFL
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 6:52pm

Did the same stuff that HW shows above.

Thats me, Eddie. Hollywood is afraid of the disk- he better stick to kneeboarding. Thats a homemade job too, by the way.

A stepladder is a great idea- we'll have to try that next year. Good thing the falls dont hurt much at 10mph.

Sorry Tim, was looking at the wrong sig from HW above yours. I have pics someplace of my wife's nephew doing headstands on the thing too. It was funny as hell watching it. I don't think we even get to 10MPH. The diameter of the one we made looks a bit bigger than yours.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 6:58pm

What the hell kinda rope you sportin' there Tim??? Looks a strand is attached to the chair, one to the disc and another to your shorts. Or do we even want to know?

Eddie
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2007 at 7:03pm

What the hell kinda rope you sportin' there Tim??? Looks a strand is attached to the chair, one to the disc and another to your shorts. Or do we even want to know?

Just a friends junk slalom rope. I was pulling it in so someone in the boat could pass me a beer.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-22-2007 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by ryanandrews ryanandrews wrote:

what exactly is that thing?..a pice of plywood with two slalom bindings?

I get a kick out of the younger group here not knowing some of the things we used to get out on the water and ski on. I actually got pretty good with the disc and a 3 step step stool.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 1:56am
I agree Pete,as you well know you could'nt just go out and buy anything,you had to get creative
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 2:27am
Creative and cheap too, Gary. Kinda made it more fun tho didn't it?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 10:02pm
You know, I think it was our era's creativity that came up with some of the things on the water today! We used to make Air Chairs with pipe and pipe flanges!! It did make it fun!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 11:18pm
A crappy evening of discing sure beats not being on the water.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2007 at 11:23pm

Those discs are a blast. I've never seen one that had bindings on it though. We just made our own disc. Cut a 4'diameter circle out of plywood and painted it. Did the same stuff that HW shows above. We even put a 6' step ladder on it and started to climb the ladder.

Same here exactly. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 3:21pm
Funny this comes up- Karen (Keith's sister) brought a disk to the NE reunion this past summer, but noone tried it- We'll have to take some turns on that thing next summer!
Geno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Geno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 5:24pm
I remember those things. I saw a guy use one he made on Logan Martin about '76 - I wouldn't touch it.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 6:33pm
We got to talking about the disk about two months ago, so I finished my beer, ran across the street to Home Depot, grabbed a sheet of 1/2" plywood and we cut a 4' circle. We had it behind the boat within an hour of the discussion. My kids had a blast on the thing. It only took another half hour before there was a lawn chair being ridden on it.
Lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

SeattleFordFan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeattleFordFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 6:46pm
So is that done from a water start like skiing, or you have to do a beach start? I havent ever seen one before, but I also havent water skied much in my time. I still dont think I would try it, if it was the thing now. Doesnt have a "Cup Holder" on the chair.
Travs

Where there is a will, there is a way, and where there is a way, it usually costs more money.

1980 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 7:31pm
SFF
You get up as if on a wakeboard, but more like a wakeskate. The boat idles in gear while you position your feet on the rear third of the disk. The pressure of the water holds it on your feet. It is one of the easiest things to get up on. And you only have to be going about 10mph.
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by tullfooter tullfooter wrote:

SFF
You get up as if on a wakeboard, but more like a wakeskate. The boat idles in gear while you position your feet on the rear third of the disk. The pressure of the water holds it on your feet. It is one of the easiest things to get up on. And you only have to be going about 10mph.
Lefty

That's probably the best way, but you can pretty much get up any way you choose. As kids, we'd lie on our stomachs, similar to getting up on a kneeboard. My mom used to sit on top of the disc and stand up once planing. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 10:48pm
It's funny that the disk has come up.
Until this summer, I hadn't seen or heard of one, in more than 15 years, other than a ski show where this older guy does a hand stand on one.
Two days after we made ours, I saw one at a graduation party. Maybe I'll have to paint this one we have and keep it around.
Lefty
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic