NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Broken RWP Bolt !!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
85Nautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken RWP Bolt !!!!!
    Posted: September-24-2007 at 12:56pm
HELP !!! I was losing a bolt of the RWP bracket and I heard the noise – the noise of you dumb a$$, but all I was doing was loosing the bolt. So I need help what would you guys do? Now there is a good number of threads showing on the other side of the mount. I have need had great luck getting bolts out after they have broken. What easy outs would you guys use? Or should I take it to the garage and have them get it out any idea what that would cost?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 1:40pm
Brian, If you have threads showing on the back side and the break is clean, I would try removing it that way. (screwing it in deeper and out the back side) Easy outs can be problematic but the best I found have a hardened drill guide to drill down the center of the bolt. Then there is a spline that is driven into the drilled hole and a spline to hex adaptor that fits over it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 2:34pm
am not sure if I can take it out on the backside of the mount because there is not a lot of room for the bolt to come out before it hits the block, I was thinking I would take out the rest of the bolts on the bracket and see if there are any threads showing on the broken bolt from the front if so I think I might be able vst grip it out but not sure. And all i was trying to do was change out a belt
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 3:14pm
85, Just another example of the best laid plans ending in failure.
One of two things will happen, you will learn a valuable lesson,bolt torque.
Or you will lets Mickey Mouse Marine do all your work.
Lesson # 1 will give you more satifaction and leave a little for gas ............
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 4:37pm
My 2 cents: If you have removed broken bolts before, and have been shown a few good techniques, go ahead and DIY. If not, take it somewhere. My opinion is that removing broken bolts is an art that should be learned from a good teacher.

If you are going to DIY look here:

Removing Broken Bolts

Good luck.

(By-the-way, don' worry, any good mechanic has broken several bolts - we'll all do it from time to time.)
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 5:35pm
Brian, I highly recommend not using the type of "extractor" that this so called pro is using that Jim gave a link for. Those things have been around since bolts were invented. They put too much outward force on the broken bolt and will actually expand the broken piece locking it in the threads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 6:09pm
Hey Pbrain. I use the extractors as a next to the last resort.

I do think the so-called-pro has a good tip for hardening the broken bolt. It works because I have been doing that for years. It helps if after you heat the broken bolt bright red, throw water on it and VERY QUICKLY grab the bolt with vise gips and unscrew before the material surronding the bolt has time to cool and contract. Usually the bolt will back out with little needed force if you do this correctly.

If you have a better device I would like to know about it. Can you send me a link or photo. I need to know.

Thanks... Jim

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 7:11pm
This is a set that Snap-On has. It has never failed me. I am a firm believer of buying the best tools once. This works even if you don't have any exposed bolt to grab.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2007 at 10:02pm
Thanks. I will get a set. Looks good to me.
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:34am
Pbrain? I never saw that in there before! You guys are both classic heroes on this site. My method is give it to my neighbor who gives it to his guys at his machine shop.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-25-2007 at 2:55am
Like your method Dude.

BTW: Did you notice the thread last nite started by Stang that was awarding a lock of your muullet for correctly answering a question?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2007 at 12:50pm
I have a stupid question,

I am working on changing out my alternator belt this weekend but I need to loosen the RWP how do I do that on a commander 351. I know I am going to have to loose the bolts on the bracket but I just don’t see how and which one to loosen.

Thank for any help if you have pics that would be great.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic